SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American student charged with aiding terror group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: American student charged with aiding terror group Reply with quote

American student charged with aiding terror group
Official: Youth 'was looking for some attention'
From Jeanne Meserve
Tuesday, November 9, 2004 Posted: 7:32 PM EST (0032 GMT)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/09/terrorism.student/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An American college student has been arrested and charged with providing material support to a Somali group that has been designated a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S. government.

U.S. authorities allege that Mark Robert Walker, 18, told a federal law enforcement agent that he wanted to travel to Somalia to fight for an Islamic government, and that he was planning to buy and send night-vision goggles and bulletproof vests to fighters for the group Ittihad Al Islamiya.

One U.S. government official described Walker, whose home address is in Rochester, New York, as a "kid that was kind of lost and was looking for some attention." The official added, "there is no indication that he is affiliated with any terrorist group," but that he wanted to join the cause.

According to the criminal complaint filed by the U.S. Attorney in El Paso, Texas, Walker is a student at Wyoming Technical College in Laramie.

A roommate gave Walker's name to law enforcement after discovering Walker had been using his computer to try to fund and equip overseas terrorist groups. The complaint alleges that on October 28, after the roommate confronted Walker about his activities, Walker fled.

The complaint says another FBI source reported that Walker was an administrator for a jihadist Web site on which he communicated with a man named "Khalid" about equipping the Somali Islamic group, and obtaining false travel documents to go wage jihad with them.

The complaint alleges that in a communication on the Web site, Walker wrote, "I hate the U.S. gov't, I wish I could have been flying one of the plane on Sept. 11."

The source told the FBI that Walker, who was then in Mexico, had set up a meeting with "Khalid" at the El Paso airport.

Walker was also known as "Abdullah," the complaint says.

According to Customs and Border Protection officials, CBP agents were alerted that Walker might be coming across the border, and they arrested him Saturday morning at the Paso Del Norte crossing in El Paso. He was carrying more than $2,000 in cash.

The complaint alleges that Walker told federal agents he intended to use the money to buy night-vision goggles and bulletproof vests and take them to Somalia for the fighters.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the FBI El Paso Joint Terrorism Task Force are investigating.

A detention hearing is scheduled for Friday in El Paso.
grumpyBB
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One he's found guilty they should take him outside the courthouse and fill him full of bullets. Mad
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is up with all these people with "Walker" in their names and sedition? Is it genetic or something????
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy--I was thinking the exact same thing! What IS it? Shocked

George Herbert WALKER Bush would not be happy, however, and either would George Walker Bush... Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is up with these fools with or without Walker in their name? It is totally sick. It seems some of our young ones do not appreciate our great country or the fact that their peers are fighting this war on terror so that they can be free. And free to do what? I hope anyone who betrays us this way is prosecuted to the max!

Twisted Evil
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read something like this I can only shake my head in resignation. It's obvious that something's missing in this boys upbringing. Where are his parents anyway? Confused

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, keep in mind, this kid is still a teenager. Granted, some teens are more mature than others, but this kid isn't one of them. I don't think he thought it through. He's having a lot of time to think it through now, isn't he?

Maria
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American student charged with ... is all I needed to read to know this was not going to be about something uplifting that he did. Could the problem be with the worldview being taught to OUR OWN KIDS in public schools nowdays? Parents need to be more involved, unless of course their name is "Walker" apparently. ...exceptions would be if two or more of the males in the family have been elected President. When kids can name every rapper who ever lived but don't know who is Vice President of the United States, the schools are failing in their jobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: