SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Horowitz: I was wrong and am glad to admit it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: David Horowitz: I was wrong and am glad to admit it Reply with quote

I was wrong and am glad to admit it
Wednesday, November 03, 2004 9:07 AM

I was pessimistic about this election. My heart kept hoping that a miracle would occur on election day, but my head told me the odds were just too great. I thought the relentless, unanswered attacks on the credibility of the commander-in-chief from July 2003 until the election really got under way a year later had taken an insuperable toll. I thought the rabid anti-Bush, anti-war sentiment in the leftwing media (50 days of Abu Ghraib on the front page of the New York Times) would be impossible to overcome. I thought the hundreds of millions of dollars from leftwing unions and the Soros operation plus the army of paid campaign workers, plus the rock the vote crowd, plus the high turnout would combine with the Democrats standard operating proceedure of stealing votes in inner city districts to put Kerry over the top.

In the end, I misunderestimated the sound sense of the American people.

What this election shows is that the reign of the Cronkite media is over. Maybe it's talk radio; maybe it's Fox; maybe it's the Internet. But whatever it is, the American people have an alternative information source to the leftwing fog machine that has dominated our national life since the war in Vietnam. This is good news for the American future. The Republican Party has also changed. It has begun to make inroads into the Democratic base, small gains in the black vote, larger among Hispanics, substantial among women. This has ramifications for the future as well.

Above all, as our editorial today notes, this election was not a referendum on the war, but on how to fight it. Under enormous pressure both domestic and international Americans have voted to stay the course. This sends a powerful message to our implacable enemies, and also to our wayward friends. This is good news for all of us.

FrontPageMag.com
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also wrong. I thought Bush would easily take 8% in the popular vote. I thought it would be a landslide.

I think what happened is that he DID get the numbers. But the Dem also did get out the vote. I think if hadn't been for all of it, and the registrations, and high turnout in states that didn't matter, like CA, that Bush would have come in 7-8% in the national vote.

It was a lousy campaign, really. Even at the last, Bush was going on about 'gay partnerships', or whatever. It seemed the GOP was going out of its way to lose the election. Rove is NOT some kind of genius. But the anger at Kerry united the American people. And now a united leftwing mainstream insists that we be divided according to their preferences.

In this, too, Bush might threaten to cave, rather than realize that he stands for something - and they don't. Cooperation, yes. But towards the right purpose, and with the right plan. Compromise for its own sake is no kind of strategy. Pray for powers equal to the task. Don't dumb down the task.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevry: if it is any consolation, the OIM gave massive support to the kerrorist. We know that, of course. But what we are perhaps not understanding is how that translates. The OIM gave the kerrorist 10-15 points. So, backing out the OIM electioneering, you can see it really was a landslide for Bush. But oh no, not more arm chair Monday morning quarterbacking. Campaigns are like landings, sevry; any one you can walk away from was a good one.

I am negating the effects of the 527's because ultimately I think all they managed to do was cancel each other out, with the exception of the Swifties. I hesitate to put the Swifties in the same category, simply because of their relentless insistence upon travelling the high road.

The victory over the kerrorist was a miracle, and nothing less. Perhaps Mr. Horowitz was wrong because he has a lack of faith in miracles...

He should have read the prayer thread in Geedunk; no one on that thread ever doubted the outcome of this election.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac wrote:
Campaigns are like landings, sevry; any one you can walk away from was a good one.

If this was an election where morality mattered, particularly abortion and related, and 'gay rights' and related from the courts on down, and so also the man's character as reported by the Swifties with still so many questions to be answered about his record and behavior with VVAW, then the very idea that Rove might suggest to Bush to 'reach out' to gays by way of 'gay partnership' when eleven 'gay marriage' propositions were about to go down in defeat across the country does not strike me as the work of a genius. It strikes me as someone unsure of where he stands, or dismissive of the very 'values voters' who just put the President back in office. It was terrible - lousy - typical Bush family campaign. He won despite himself. The ONLY effective 527 turned out to be the Swifties, right here. People thought they spoke the truth. They were careful with their facts and allegations. And that stood up to the yellow journalism practiced by all the LM against them - eventually even roping in FOX, to a degree.
USAF66-70
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A “lousy typical Bush family campaign”? You second-guess a win? Undoubtedly morality mattered, but don’t ride that horse to Hell.
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubted and feared.... and I prayed....
I did not pray for a Bush victory, I prayed that God would touch hearts and minds and have the right thing happen....

And I know that sometimes God answers prayers with a "no, I'm sorry, but no my child"

So, I have an even greater sense that this "government of the people, by the people and for the people shall not perish from the earth." (A. Lincoln, Gettysburg, 1864)
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevry wrote:
Kimmymac wrote:
Campaigns are like landings, sevry; any one you can walk away from was a good one.

If this was an election where morality mattered, particularly abortion and related, and 'gay rights' and related from the courts on down, and so also the man's character as reported by the Swifties with still so many questions to be answered about his record and behavior with VVAW, then the very idea that Rove might suggest to Bush to 'reach out' to gays by way of 'gay partnership' when eleven 'gay marriage' propositions were about to go down in defeat across the country does not strike me as the work of a genius. It strikes me as someone unsure of where he stands, or dismissive of the very 'values voters' who just put the President back in office. It was terrible - lousy - typical Bush family campaign. He won despite himself. The ONLY effective 527 turned out to be the Swifties, right here. People thought they spoke the truth. They were careful with their facts and allegations. And that stood up to the yellow journalism practiced by all the LM against them - eventually even roping in FOX, to a degree.

A couple thoughts - we won! First of all...
Secondly, if Bush hadn't been showing his true emotional capacity for compassion to Floridians even the day of the first debate I say he'd have won that debate - he and his handlers (I really blame them - not sure if that was Rove's call or someone else) were trying to do too much that day...but hey, it's hard to make all the right calls 100% of the time...sometimes your football team does boneheaded stuff on the field but they're still your team and if they manage to win only the coaches and the great players are going to look at every last play to see how to improve. Now if that's your point, then well taken.

But I think if he's rested going into Debate #1 he wins that night and then 2 and 3 and holds onto his nice 5 point lead and it bulges to 8 or 10 with a plus 6 or 8 on election day.

Perhaps at the very end - being very confident of the conservative base, they thought, since the Mary Cheney thing had worked to their advantage, perhaps they'd throw another ring into the middle...so they came out with that cockeyed statement...oh well...Bush knows who butters his bread. I'm comfortable and so happy he won...

Now it's up to us to govern well. Let's push for fiscal restraint as much as we possibly can and see this economy grow!! And an energy plan, etc, etc...

Thanks W, Swifties, POWs & brave soldiers everywhere fighting for America and for freedom
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point #1 is that John F-ing Kerry will NOT be President. For the purposes of this forum, there is no downside to that outcome, so no other points concerning the election are relevant here.
sround
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sleeplessinseattle wrote:

Secondly, if Bush hadn't been showing his true emotional capacity for compassion to Floridians even the day of the first debate I say he'd have won that debate -

Well said...I think this is exactly right; W spent time with the folks
who lost their homes, cars, possessions, everything. He didn't leave.
He held them and gave comfort--in the heat and humidity--for hours.
Just like the Friends episode when Rachel hurts herself and
Ross doesn't leave her and misses an opportunity to be on TV.

But W is the real deal. I sincerely believe that. Wink

Mission Accomplished!!
debewley
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bush team increased their percentage of the vote in 47 of 50 states. As Mr. Horowitz noted they increased their vote in typically Democratic constituecies such as blacks, hispanics, and women. Many of the Reagan Democrats came back to support Bush.

In the 22 counties of the Florida Panhandle where I live, the number of registered Democrats actually declined by over 1,500 registrants. At the same time the Republicans were able to register an additional 71,000 people. THE GOTV effort was a thing of beauty. I must have received no less than 15 phone calls urging me to vote including a recorded message from Laura Bush and Jeb.

Mr. Bush won! And was able to add 4 more Republican senators and more seats in the house.

Was it a perfect campaign? Of course not. But I don't see how any campaign concieved by mortal man could have done any better.

The glass is way over half-full. Let's celebrate that and not worry about the little that is empty.

Dave
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debewley wrote:

Was it a perfect campaign? Of course not. But I don't see how any campaign concieved by mortal man could have done any better.

You're combining/conflating the party apparatus, regardless of candidate, with Rove and this particular candidate. And it was a LOUSY campaign. All four Bush campaigns have been terrible. Bush almost snatched defeat from the jaws of certain victory. And who would be President in that case? It would have been John Fn Kerry, a man - ENTIRELY unfit to be CinC. So it does matter.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Bush campaign Reply with quote

It was clearly a mistake for Bush not to be prepared for the first debate, and Cheney deserves a lot of credit for blowing Edwards out of the water during the vice-presidential debate.

In the 2000 election, Bush lost the popular vote, but was saved by the skin of his teeth by the Electoral College and 537 votes in Florida. In this election, he won the popular vote by 3.5 million votes, but was still only one state away (Ohio) from losing the election, although this time his margin was 136,000 votes. Despite the popular-vote margin, narrow losses in PA, WI, MI, and MN made the Electoral College close.

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20041108-094913-8345r.htm

In the linked article, Terence P. Jeffrey found an amazing statistic, which gives us hope for the future. Married people with children preferred Bush by 59% to 40%. These parents are probably teaching their children to vote as they do (the Weekly Reader kids preferred Bush 65-35), so the near future will probably see large numbers of new young conservative voters, whereas Democrats have been killing many of their children in the womb.

The problem will be to keep Hillary and Kerry out of the White House, while waiting for these kids to grow up, and the Democrats will face a candidate other than George W. Bush.

In the meantime, W and his new Senators must get busy setting this country straight, while they have the chance! The Supreme Court is getting old, and might need some new blood...
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people always see the glass as half empty rather than half full...guess I am one of those people who try to look at the glass as half full. Bush won and it was against all odds with Kerry having the MSM in his pocket (we have CBS and the forged documents; we have ABC and memogate; we have NBC reairing the Kerry interview deleting out certain statements Kerry made both in the 2nd airing and on the transcripts on the website) we have CNN (aka Clinton News Network) and even Fox near the end seemed to be have swung more to the left of Kerry issues; we have the swiftvets being dismissed by most new (I really hate to call them news sources these days) sources; we had George Soros who spent BILLIONS to defeat Bush; we had Bruce Springstein and "Rock the Vote" along with "Die or Vote; and the likes of the NYT, Boston Globe; Chicago Tribune; LA Times and all kinds of left wing newspapers who did nothing but bash President Bush.

So all in all I feel pretty good about this election. More people in voted and the "average American" did vote and speak. It is a red country and I live in Illinois and the county I lived it went overwelmingly for Kerry...sad but true...yet I can not feel anything but a sense of relief that Kerry did not get elected and no matter how hard the press tried to slant this election it DID NOT work.

The DNC must either realize that they need to regoup and move towards the center or yet again loose another election. I am going to look at this as a victory and be happy that the man I voted for won. But I am OK if they keep their heads buried in the sand yet another 4 years from now. I am hoping for a Guiliani/Rice ticket...how sweet that would be to run against Hiliary. In 4 years a lot could happen between now and then.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevry:

You might want to reconsider your opinion of Bush as a campaigner. See

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/08/watson.policy/index.html

3 for 3 - with the deck at least partly stacked him in each case - ain't too damn bad.
sore loser
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people like me didn't want Kerry, more than they wanted Bush. Bush is not a bad guy, I got some stories from a couple of guys on the Ike when Bush was there, how he stopped a Chief in the passageway, and chatted with him for about 5 minutes, and how he told his secret service to back off, he was being guarded by 5000 men now. You can't help but like a guy like that. When was the last time any prez did that??? He's not a bad leader, but he's also not the leader I would've chosen if I were king. I don't know off hand who I would've chosen, maybe in the end I'd find he is the best, but he didn't really energize me. I liked his reaction to 9/11, but wasn't real sold on the need for Iraq at the time. We're there now and it doesn't matter anymore, we need to finish it. Certainly before we go after the rest of those,,,,, those,,,, (times like this I could use a lot less admin intervention and editing), those cowardly low life animals, and go after them we should, until they all get their 70 virgins. Would to God that I were 30 years younger.

check out the following link for a possible candidate

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41549

I guess in my alleged mind, Reagan set the bar pretty high for the CINC, and maybe I just oughta get over it, there aren't anymore like him out there, at least anyone willing to put themselves through that meatgrinder called an election.
Any time. Any place.
CVAN-65 and VA-196
The Big "E" and The Main Battery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Epilogue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: