SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

foreigners for president?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: foreigners for president? Reply with quote

I was born in Italy in 1949, my family moved here in 1960, I was 10 years old, I have never been back since.
In 1975 I became an American citizen, I studied the Constitution big time, I keep up with politics, get involved and help my local Republican Party.
And if had gotten into politics knowing what I know, I would never support amending the Constitution to allow anyone but a natural born citizen to be president of this great nation.
I love Arnold, but he is not qualified to be POTUS.
If we change that because of Arnold, who will be next?
Will he win, or will Soros buy himself that seat?
Arnold has a big future in politics, he can be on any presidential cabinet, he can be a Senator,(take on Feinstein or Boxer)
But never Speaker of the house, or Vice President.
Thats the LAW, lets keep it that way.
God Bless the Swifties.
USS Endicott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Arnold against Gray Davis, however, I am against this proposed amendment to the Constitution. I believe that some Republicans want to remain in power, regardless of the cost to the Party and our country, and these Republicans believe Arnold would be a strong candidate in 2008. To me, it is very short-sighted to promote this amendment. This would open the door to allow foreign individuals to attempt to gain control of the USA. IMHO this amendment would contribute to the blurring of America's identity. It was irritating enough to have Europe wanting to interfere in our elections this year. Imagine how much worse the circus would be if a natural born European became a US citizen and ran for President. As Tony54 mentioned, Arnold could run for Senate and replace Barbara Boxer or work to become a member of the cabinet. Just say No to Arnold for President.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first I have heard of this. Does anyone have a link to any articles that make reference of this? I'm appalled that it would be Republicans backing this!

Maria
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&u=/ap/20041119/ap_on_re_us/brf_albright_presidency_1&printer=1
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madeline Albright (this morning on Drudge) backs it according to:
This Yahoo News Story

... I've not heard of a Republican supporting the issue, though.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnold hasn't had time to prove himself as Governor, as of yet.

What concerns me about this is who else could become President, although a "sleeper?" Of course, a natural born citizen could be a sleeper also.

This is one of those that they will have to convince me it benefits the country first.

Oh, I'm pretty hard to convince, also Wink Laughing
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander Hamilton, he of the $10 bill, Revolutionary War hero, first Secratary of the Treasury, co-author of the Federalist Papers was born in the West Indies and could never be president.

The proscription made sense to the founding fathers and it makes sense to me. I knew Alex Hamilton and Arnold...you're no Alex Hamilton.

For too many the Constitution (to paraphrase Cicero) amuses with the remembrance of of old words and its portrait of ancient manners.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article II, Section 5 reads, No person except a natural-born citizen, or a citizen of the United States at the time of the adoption of this Constitution,.....

Hamilton was a citizen at the time of adoption and could have been President.

I was on the fence on this one until Madeline Albright came out in favor of the amendment. That was enough for me, I'm against it!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotty61 wrote:
I was on the fence on this one until Madeline Albright came out in favor of the amendment. That was enough for me, I'm against it!

Amen!

Imagine a "President George Soros?" Shocked Not on yer life! Wink

Messing with the Constitution is something we should not ever do without one hell of a lot of debate and thought.

I would never support such an amendment as this - not even if Arnold turns out to be a better Governor of California than Ronald Reagan, himself. (and I LIKE "the Governator," don't get me wrong! Wink )

But, just look at how some laws at the state level have ended up creating unforeseen consequences and costs in terms of $$ and quality of life. Environmental requisites that close down businesses or send them to other states or countries, for instance.

Once done, a Constitutional Amendment is not so easily undone and should never be considered on the same level as a bill in Congress.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwartznager for Governor is one thing....I can live with that. However, amending the constitution to allow non-american born US citizens to run for the presidency is wrong. It goes against the very nature of why the constitution was set up that way to begin with.

I am tired of some people thinking that they know better than everyone else. A small minority that wants to re-write history and our constitution and just shove it in our faces without giving us the chance to have a say so.

1. It should not happen......
2. If this were to happen....the American people need to vote it in or out.

I am very leary of law makers and constitutional experts interferring with our constitution and its, according to them, "real meaning" or "our forefathers just did not forsee this, so............", attitudes.

Case in point....if you read the constitution it does not say anywhere, "we will have the SEPARATION of Chruch and State." Yet these "intellectually ignorant arrogant people" tell us that, and many uninformed Americans believe that. In actuality, this misinterpretation comes from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson that was referring to us, the United States, seperating from the then powerful, Church of England.

I have read the constitution.....it is an interesting read....a powerful example of our history in the making and its final outcome....Please read it when you can. I think all Americans need to read the constitution and find out for themselves what really is in the constitution and what is not. If we do not do this, then these interpretation LIARS will continue to destroy our country and the basis for which it was originally intended to be and originally founded upon.
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amending the Constitution is a lengthy process.... It was made that way to keep it from becoming weakened by many changes ... or changes made as a reaction to an event or even a person of charisma....

If the reason for the amendment is because there are those that think Arnold S. would be a good candidate, then it should not be done..

If the reason is that we are now a more global and it make sense for a more global political environment, then it should be considered and debated on those ideas....
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My governor can kick your governor's butt. Whoopee. I voted for Arnold for governor, but I agree that it's a bad idea to amend the constitution to make him eligible to be president. If he really wants to help the country let him replace Boxer or Feinstein as a Senator from California.

If you remember the Equal Rights Amendment from the 70's (?) you know it will take years to get an amendment through the various states that have to ratify an amendment to the constitution. By the time it was approved, if ever, Arnold would be retired or maybe dead of old age. So who would it help?

I don't think this one will go anywhere.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa_Static wrote:
If he really wants to help the country let him replace Boxer or Feinstein as a Senator from California.

God, isn't that the truth! Pelosi would be best of all, but I'd take replacing Feinstein or Boxer, too. Or any of the "Progressives" in CA.

Funny, I was more concerned in this last election about the Daschle/Thune race than I was about my own state's Senatorial seat. I was dang near as happy about Daschle going down as I was about Kerry. Smile
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Funny, I was more concerned in this last election about the Daschle/Thune race than I was about my own state's Senatorial seat. I was dang near as happy about Daschle going down as I was about Kerry.

Me, too Navy....

And I'm in Colorado, where the Republicans lost a senate seat, but if I had to choose, I'll take Salazar(D) from Colorado instead of Kerry as CinC and Daschle, obstructor in cheif....
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very serious subject, check it out:
http://www.amendforarnold.com/
http://amendus.org/
http://news.newkerala.com/india-news/?action=fullnews&id=42809

If they succeed in passing an amendment to allow naturalized citizens to be POTUS, in my opinion would be worse than if Kerry had won the election, why?
Because after four years we could have booted Kerry, and worse case scenario after eight years it would have been over.
Where the amendment would be for ever.
Here is where I see it being a problem.
My being a naturalized citizen, born in Italy.
What if that amendment had passed long ago and I had advanced politically and became president.
Then say Italy turned Communist acquired nukes, and we were in a major conflict with Italy, and I as president got intelligence saying Italy
was about to launch ICBM's at us. We have a Trident submarine ready to launch a pre-emptive strike in the Adriatic and all they need is my order.
I have relatives and friends in Italy still.
Would I, could I give the order that would wipe out many of my relatives, friends and their homes?
As much as I love this country I don't know what I would do.
That is the main reason I'm 100% against such an amendment, because the President is also the Commander in Chief and he must be NATIVE AMERICAN with no conflict of interests!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: