SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did he get away with it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquis
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: How did he get away with it? Reply with quote

President Nixon, his administration, the FBI, the CIA, and the DOD were all aware of JF'ngK's traitorous activities; so, why was he never brought up on charges, and don't tell me that it was politically unacceptable, that is not an answer. Also on that same vane, were we really that stupid, did we allow military officers to break the law just because they managed to get their face on the TV news? Was anyone court marshalled for similar activities; what are their names and what was the punishment? Someone please tell me.

Well, I am waiting...
tiptie
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that Nixon told everyone not to go after Kerry. Considering the times...............he felt that it would only make him out to be more of a hero to the leftist crowd.

USCG
61-69
Marquis
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiptie wrote:
I hear that Nixon told everyone not to go after Kerry. Considering the times...............he felt that it would only make him out to be more of a hero to the leftist crowd.

I was affraid that this would be the rationale.

But I do not accept it. I believe that there is much more to this question, and I would love to see information about officers or enlisted men that WERE charged and convicted. Surely we did not give free reign to all just because of of the public visibility of the VVAW!

Last edited by Marquis on Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that there were many factors involved, not the least of which was the fact that Kerry was already a protege of the Kennedy political machine.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marquis wrote:
Surely we did not give free reign to all just because of of the visibility of the VVAW!

This is the price we elected to pay when we allowed the formative concept of "citizen legislator" to be translated into "career politico."

Term limits...now.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: How did he get away with it? Reply with quote

Marquis wrote:
President Nixon, his administration, the FBI, the CIA, and the DOD were all aware of JF'ngK's traitorous activities; so, why was he never brought up on charges, and don't tell me that it was politically unacceptable, that is not an answer. Also on that same vane, were we really that stupid, did we allow military officers to break the law just because they managed to get their face on the TV news? Was anyone court marshalled for similar activities; what are their names and what was the punishment? Someone please tell me.

Well, I am waiting...

I've forgotten which thread the discussion is on, but there is suspicion that the Nixon admin might have given Kerry some type of bad conduct discharge that was later upgraded during the Carter admin. The discharge Kerry has posted on his web site is dated much later possibly indicating the initial discharge was bad and had to be upgraded. That might also explain the later citations for the silver star.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
garb1015
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that more attention was given to what Kerry was doing and saying than was given to how he got away with it. Keep in mind that Congressional members were just as divided on the Viet Nam war as was the rest of America and Kerry was somewhat under the protective wing of Ted Kennedy and others.
We know now that the FBI had undercover agents in the VVAW as well as a two thousand document file on the organization. They may not have felt it practical to blow all that to bust one man. Maybe they thought they had bigger fish to fry.
Add to this the fact that Nixon had an upcoming election to deal with and his black list contained a lot more names than John Kerry. I guess there just wasn't enough plumbers to go around.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rockered crow told me Nixon's SecNav, Mittendorf (sic) can't go on record for violating the Privacy Act, but if he did.......

Nixon did not want Kerry court martialed. It would give him too much exposure, make him a martyr and the '72 campaign was underway. His solution was an 'Executive Order of Dismissal', no discharge of any kind just an uncontestable expulsion from the Navy signed by the CinC. Now, such treatment from Nixon is a badge of honor for most lefties so it begs the question of what else Kerry's hiding behind that SF180.
Bernard Cullen
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
A rockered crow told me Nixon's SecNav, Mittendorf (sic) can't go on record for violating the Privacy Act, but if he did.......

Nixon did not want Kerry court martialed. It would give him too much exposure, make him a martyr and the '72 campaign was underway. His solution was an 'Executive Order of Dismissal', no discharge of any kind just an uncontestable expulsion from the Navy signed by the CinC. Now, such treatment from Nixon is a badge of honor for most lefties so it begs the question of what else Kerry's hiding behind that SF180.

Interesting. IMHO it cannot simply be the Executive Order of Dismissal. Anything to do with Nixon can be spun to Kerry's favor. What we need frankly are the records. I believe we need to establish the signing the Standard Form 180 as a "moral" or "political", though not necessarily "legal", requirement for any further run by Kerry for the Presidency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: