SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!! Reply with quote

I want to wish you all here a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving! We have alot to be thankful for.

1) Dubya is President.

2) SVPT kicked butt big time.

3) We are proud to be Americans.

4) Our troops in Iraq.

5) Everyone here is the best.

I love you all!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!! Reply with quote

doll wrote:
I want to wish you all here a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving! We have alot to be thankful for.

1) Dubya is President.

2) SVPT kicked butt big time.

3) We are proud to be Americans.

4) Our troops in Iraq.

5) Everyone here is the best.

I love you all!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Wow.. is Thanksgiving THIS year? Razz

I honestly have been gone for so long, I don't rememember anything besides Christmas (really lonely) and Valentines (lonely)...

Well, if it IS TD, HaPpY tHaNkSgIvInG peeps!

MJ
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Turkey Day everyone.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Quote:
The Pilgrims' 1621 Thanksgiving
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tradition of the Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving is steeped in myth and legend. Few people realize that the Pilgrims did not celebrate Thanksgiving the next year, or any year thereafter, though some of their descendants later made a "Forefather's Day" that usually occurred on December 21 or 22. Several Presidents, including George Washington, made one-time Thanksgiving holidays. In 1827, Mrs. Sarah Josepha Hale began lobbying several Presidents for the instatement of Thanksgiving as a national holiday, but her lobbying was unsuccessful until 1863 when Abraham Lincoln finally made it a national holiday with his 1863 Thanksgiving Proclamation.

Today, our Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday of November. This was set by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1939 (approved by Congress in 1941), who changed it from Abraham Lincoln's designation as the last Thursday in November (which could occasionally end up being the fifth Thursday and hence too close to Christmas for businesses). But the Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving began at some unknown date between September 21 and November 9, most likely in very early October. The date of Thanksgiving was probably set by Lincoln to somewhat correlate with the anchoring of the Mayflower at Cape Cod, which occurred on November 21, 1620 (by our modern Gregorian calendar--it was November 11 to the Pilgrims who used the Julian calendar).

There are only two contemporary accounts of the 1621 Thanksgiving: First is Edward Winslow's account, which he wrote in a letter dated December 12, 1621. The complete letter was first published in 1622, and is chapter 6 of Mourt's Relation: A Journal of the Pilgrims at Plymouth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our corn [i.e. wheat] did prove well, and God be praised, we had a good increase of Indian corn, and our barley indifferent good, but our peas not worth the gathering, for we feared they were too late sown. They came up very well, and blossomed, but the sun parched them in the blossom. Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, amongst other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed on our governor, and upon the captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty.

The second description was written about twenty years after the fact by William Bradford in his History Of Plymouth Plantation. Bradford's History was rediscovered in 1854 after having been taken by British looters during the Revolutionary War. Its discovery prompted a greater American interest in the history of the Pilgrims, which eventually led to Lincoln's decision to make Thanksgiving a holiday. It is also in this account that the Thanksgiving turkey tradition is founded.

They began now to gather in the small harvest they had, and to fit up their houses and dwellings against winter, being all well recovered in health and strength and had all things in good plenty. For as some were thus employed in affairs abroad, others were exercising in fishing, about cod and bass and other fish, of which they took good store, of which every family had their portion. All the summer there was no want; and now began to come in store of fowl, as winter approached, of which this place did abound when they came first (but afterward decreased by degrees). And besides waterfowl there was great store of wild turkeys, of which they took many, besides venison, etc. Besides they had about a peck of meal a week to a person, or now since harvest, Indian corn to that proportion. Which made many afterwards write so largely of their plenty here to their friends in England, which were not feigned but true reports.

The following is a fairly complete list of the foods available to the Pilgrims during the three-day Thanksgiving harvest celebration. As can be seen in the above two quotations, the only foods specifically mentioned by the Pilgrims are: "corn" (wheat, by the Pilgrims usage of the word), Indian corn, barley, peas (if any where spared), "fowl" (Bradford says "waterfowl"), five deer, fish (namely bass and cod), and wild turkey.

The Plimoth Plantation Museum has a nice recipe page that includes a number of modernized recipes to closely simulate the actual foods likely eaten by the Pilgrims during this harvest festival.

Foods Available to the Pilgrims for their 1621 Thanksgiving

FISH: cod, bass, herring, shad, bluefish, and lots of eel.

SEAFOOD: clams, lobsters, mussels, and very small quantities of oysters

BIRDS: wild turkey, goose, duck, crane, swan, partridge, and other miscellaneous waterfowl; they were also known to have occasionally eaten eagles (which "tasted like mutton" according to Winslow in 1623.)

OTHER MEAT: venison (deer), possibly some salt pork or chicken.

GRAIN: wheat flour, Indian corn and corn meal; barley (mainly for beer-making).

FRUITS: raspberries, strawberries, grapes, plums, cherries, blueberries, gooseberries (these would have been dried, as none would have been in season).

VEGETABLES: small quantity of peas, squashes (including pumpkins), beans

NUTS: walnuts, chestnuts, acorns, hickory nuts, ground nuts

HERBS and SEASONINGS: onions, leeks, strawberry leaves, currants, sorrel, yarrow, carvel, brooklime, liverwort, watercress, and flax; from England they brought seeds and probably planted radishes, lettuce, carrots, onions, and cabbage. Olive oil in small quantities may have been brought over, though the Pilgrims had to sell most of their oil and butter before sailing, in order to stay on budget.

OTHER: maple syrup, honey; small quantities of butter, Holland cheese; and eggs.

Some perhaps startling omissions from the authentic Thanksgiving menu

Ham. (The Pilgrims most likely did not have pigs with them).

Sweet Potatoes-Potatoes-Yams. (These had not yet been introduced to New England).

Corn on the cob. (Indian corn was only good for making cornmeal, not eating on the cob).

Popcorn. (Contrary to popular folklore, popcorn was not introduced at the 1621 Thanksgiving. Indian corn could only be half-popped, and this wouldn't have tasted very good.)

Cranberry sauce. (Cranberries were available, but sugar was not.)

Pumpkin Pie: (They probably made a pumpkin pudding of sorts, sweetened by honey or syrup, which would be like the filling of a pumpkin pie, but there would be no crust or whipped topping.)

Mayflower Web Pages. Caleb Johnson © 1999
http://members.aol.com/calebj/thanksgiving.html
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you good people!
We sure have a lot to be thankful for this year,
First and foremost I got to thank God, cause without his grace nothing is possible.
Then I got to thank the SWIFTIES, without them I think Kerry would have snuck in.
Thank the President for being brave and hanging tough even with all the adversities.
Thank the Veterans for keeping this country free all these years.
Most important though I thank the brave American soldiers all over the world fighting terrorists and keeping my family and my countrymen safe and free!
God Bless them all.
oasis
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank You

Quote:
THANKSGIVING DAY 1789

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - A PROCLAMATION

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor - and Whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me "to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."
Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be – That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks – for his kind care and protection of the People of this country previous to their becoming a Nation – for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his providence, which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war –for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed – for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted, for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.
And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions – to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually – to render our national government a blessing to all the People, by constantly being a government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed – to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord – To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and Us – and generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.
Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.
GO. WASHINGTON.

Quote:
Thanksgiving Day, 2004
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

In Focus: Thanksgiving 2004

All across America, we gather this week with the people we love to give thanks to God for the blessings in our lives. We are grateful for our freedom, grateful for our families and friends, and grateful for the many gifts of America. On Thanksgiving Day, we acknowledge that all of these things, and life itself, come from the Almighty God.

Almost four centuries ago, the Pilgrims celebrated a harvest feast to thank God after suffering through a brutal winter. President George Washington proclaimed the first National Day of Thanksgiving in 1789, and President Lincoln revived the tradition during the Civil War, asking Americans to give thanks with "one heart and one voice." Since then, in times of war and in times of peace, Americans have gathered with family and friends and given thanks to God for our blessings.

Thanksgiving is also a time to share our blessings with those who are less fortunate. Americans this week will gather food and clothing for neighbors in need. Many young people will give part of their holiday to volunteer at homeless shelters and food pantries. On Thanksgiving, we remember that the true strength of America lies in the hearts and souls of the American people. By seeking out those who are hurting and by lending a hand, Americans touch the lives of their fellow citizens and help make our Nation and the world a better place.

This Thanksgiving, we express our gratitude to our dedicated firefighters and police officers who help keep our homeland safe. We are grateful to the homeland security and intelligence personnel who spend long hours on faithful watch. And we give thanks for the Americans in our Armed Forces who are serving around the world to secure our country and advance the cause of freedom. These brave men and women make our entire Nation proud, and we thank them and their families for their sacrifice.

On this Thanksgiving Day, we thank God for His blessings and ask Him to continue to guide and watch over our Nation.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim Thursday, November 25, 2004, as a National Day of Thanksgiving. I encourage all Americans to gather together in their homes and places of worship to reinforce the ties of family and community and to express gratitude for the many blessings we enjoy.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-third day of November, in the year of our Lord two thousand four, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-ninth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

Happy Thanksgiving!

Please donate to the.. RED CROSS
gleanerl
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you.

there is so much to be thankful for, i'll keep the list in my head and heart...

what a great day to reflect...

tomorrow nebraska plays colo....... aaaarrrggghhhhh
(i'll think about it tomorrow) Laughing

have a great day, all of you!! Very Happy
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

My husband's kids (older ones) and one husband, our son and my husband are all going to the Dallas Cowboy game today. I am going to DFW and serve turkey dinners to the troops. The Gaylord Texan is catering the meal. I believe that is the same group that owns the Opry House Hotel in Nashville. I think I am going to have more fun. If there are any of you in the DFW area that is interested, it is going to be held in the baggage claim area around terminal B, gate 14 on the non-secure side. This is near the USO luggage storage facility. I am going up there between 12:30 and 1:00.

Yesterday we took 3 Honey Baked Hams and rolls and bread and dropped them off at the USO so the soldiers who are missing today because of flights would have a little bit of a send off.

Our family is having traditional turkey dinner tomorrow instead. So no gobble gobble today for us.

Thanks to the Swifties for all they have done.
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Dan, the flim flam man Reply with quote

I'd like to add Dan the Flim Flam man's leaving to my Thanksgiving list this year in addition to the ones mentioned above.
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special thanks to God for all our troops who sacrifice to keep me safe and warm in my little apartment.

Got a couple more for doll's list:

#7) Saddam captured

#Cool Arafat dead

Is this a great country or what?
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was supposed to come out as 'no. 8 Arafat....'. But I think I like it that way better! Laughing
southerndelite
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving to all you fine folks!
happyday
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gleanerl wrote:
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you.

there is so much to be thankful for, i'll keep the list in my head and heart...

what a great day to reflect...

tomorrow nebraska plays colo....... aaaarrrggghhhhh
(i'll think about it tomorrow) Laughing

have a great day, all of you!! Very Happy

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! As for the game, I'm not thinking about it, I'm not watching it (I think), and my 13 year old son is hopeful about it.

I agree............aaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: