SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do Vets of previous wars think of the armor shortage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: What do Vets of previous wars think of the armor shortage? Reply with quote

I wonder what veterans of previous wars have to say about the current shortage of armor for military vehicles in Iraq.

BTW, I'm a veteran of the Vietnam War, and I know what I'm thinking about it.

I only have two Purple Hearts.............if I'd only known. LOL.
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Humvees were never designed for armor. The process of up-armoring this vehicle is similar to having GM recall every pick-up truck so it can be retrofitted as a mini-van. The point is, we're doing just that. It's not just adding armor. Springs & shocks must be retrofitted, engines retuned and a host of other issues addressed. Instead of complaining about not having enough armored humvees, we should be celebrating the normal American ingenuity to be able to retrofit 16,000 vehicles, in a combat zone, in 9 months!
We didn't have that stuff in Nam because we didn't have any use for it. That soldier who asked Rummy the question should have a letter in his jacket for that stupid remark. He was prompted by a reporter and should have enough brains not to consort with trash, let alone allow the reporter to put words in his mouth. And, WHF is that reporter doing there now? The reporters were given instructions not to ask any questions. So he recruits a dufus to do it for him. Rummy should have had his credentials pulled and extracted from the unit like a bad tooth. Evil or Very Mad
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This what I posted on another topic here and someone thought it was serious:

President Bush today sent a supplemental appropriation request to Congress for the purchase of 300,000 M-1 tanks. A White House spokesman said; "It is the President's hope that every soldier has his own personal M-1 Tank for protection". He went on to say; "The multi trillion dollar request will only add slightly to the National debt".
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Are these the same Humvees we used in the 1st Gulf War? I never heard any complaints then.

Obviously we can't issue M-1s to every troop in harms way, so we do the best we can. Adaptability is what America does and has done in every war we have fought. When we have a hole we fill it, when we have a new tactic used against us we adapt to overcome it and when it is all over, we have kicked butt and won in spite of the bile spewed by the naysayers at home; We need to honor those who fought the fight.

Independent that leans right of center.
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time the US has gone to war there have always been equipment issues. This is not to excuse the weapons procurement bureacracy, but design and procurement decisions made years in advance of the actual conflict have to be based on the best estimate of the future need. Nobody's crystal ball is perfect. Of course the MSM treats this as a scandal. It would be a scandal if the problem was not being addressed, but DOD is working on it. Perhaps the retrofit process can be accelerated. I don't know if it can be done any faster, but it should not be a surprise that there are equipment deficiencies.

As a concrete example from Viet Nam, shortly after our unit deployed there in May of 1967, the artillery units were issued the first portable digital computers to compute firing data. I had seen these at Ft. Sill four years earlier when they were still being developed. The only thing that had not been foreseen during development and testing was the intensity with which the operators would pound the key boards to enter data. The original keyboards failed after a short period of combat usage. The army came out with a modification kit which was simply a tougher keyboard. The kits were installed and there were no more keyboard problems. A scandal? Hardly. Just a humorous episode.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel we need to supply them the best and get them up to speed as soon as possible. But, that doesn't mean they should not continue with their mission and deployment.

When we went up rivers, the noise of the engines would alert evey one In Country for miles and Swift boats armour was 1/4 inch aluminum, if you can call that armour. We wore flack jackets from the Korean War or older that many men quit wearing because they would not stop any type of round and if you fell over the side you would sink, while Helo pilots had the ceramic types that were much better. Some branch of the service will always get slighted and being part of the Navy, the Marines probably got shafted at every turn.

It is the nature for those in the military to gripe and these men are just doing the age old History of b*tch*ing.
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link takes you to a piece in the Wall Street Journal about the armor problem that is very interesting. It does not surprise me that the procurement bureacracy is part of the problem. Just like they screwed up the initial deployment of the M-16 in VN.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/bminiter/?id=110006024
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the inadequacy of armor. Those that need it the most will probably wait the longest for it, with the military bureaucrats getting theirs first and the guys out in the field on a waiting list.

I remember when I was in Vietnam, I got issued a vest with that crap with the metal or ceramic plates sewn into what seamed like large pleats. It wasn't until my 10th or 11th month in country that the supply boys came around and finally replaced them with the Kevlar vests. As I recall the Kevlar armor was lighter, more flexible and easier to maneuver in than that junk with the hard heavy plating; it's only drawback was that it was like wearing a winter coat in the tropics. I never really blamed the military, they supplied us with the best they had, it's just that it takes time to actually manufacture and they couldn't get it any faster.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Pro-Bush and I believe in what he is trying to do in Iraq. But Rumfeld and Wolfowicz are being REACTIVE in this war, and not PROACTIVE. The fight getting to Baghdad was magnificent, but the effort trying to pacify has been lacking in planning. I have a son in Iraq right now, A ground-pounder, straight-leg infantry- exactly like I was in Vietnam. He has been extended twice in the last 2 months and he is expecting another extension after the election. That is how thin the troops are spread over there. He fought in Najaf last August and the unit was told they were going back to redeploy to the U.S. Then they were sent into Fallujah and they were told again they would go back to Baghdad to redeploy to the U.S. These troops are being jerked around. When we were told that the 1st Armored would be extended earlier this year after a one year deployment, they were extended 60 days to help pacify the areas that new troops were coming into. We were told by Rumsfeld that this was a one-time extension-that no troops would be extended over 1 year. This is MY problem with the way this is being done!

The company that does the retrofit and builds the NEW humvees is Armored Holdings-I believe they are based in Indiana. They were told by the administration to build ONLY 400 per month, that's what they had the funds for. Armored Holdings said last week that they have the capacity to build 600 per month. The administration told us we are getting these vehicles in country as fast as is humanly possible-NOT TRUE! My son just missed getting it in April of this year by a sniper in Fallujah- an AK47 through the door and ripped the seat cover at his back. This was NOT an armored humvee and he is in a unit that is on missions everyday, not a unit in the Green Zone or a safe area! I have the shirt in my closet now, ripped by the round. I don't know how he missed being killed. Thank God- and you know this happens everyday throughout the country

The first Gulf War was fought with 600,000 troops, not 150,000. Those troops got within 300 miles of Baghdad, not in the ENTIRE country. The need for armor humvees was not needed in the war. They would have needed them if we had gone into Baghdad. I have posted about this problem in another post on this. This insurgency has been fought since August and September of 2003 and is increasing in ferocity with each day. Go to globalsecurity.org and you can see the daily tally!

We need a new defense secretary and get overwhelming troop strength in country with EVERY bit of armor we can get and ALL the latest technology to back our troops. Some of this may be funding by congress or the administration needs to make an order ( a war order) to get these things done and quite BSing everybody.

Right now, Rummy says the same things that McNamara said during Veitnam. Finally I few years ago, McNamara said he was wrong. I was able to vent to him over the phone on Larry King. I could'nt take anymore of his BS. I have TOO many buddies on the wall.

Just last week, Iran was doing war games on their border with Iraq. Do you really believe that was coincidental? If we are having trouble meeting troop strength now by extension, how are we going to go after Iran if they start to get twitchy? Most every general or colonel that is a pundit on FOX says we need more troops. We need a dense sec. that will get the troops, the armor and whatever the hell else they need to fight this AND FINISH IT.

I have ranted long enough. I guess I am a frustrated father, who sees the same problems as I did in 1966-67.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need and should have the best protection that is available. However, I know the humvee was really a replacement for the venerable old jeep we are all so fond of .

That baby really had a lot of armor, didn't it guys?

The point is . You use what you have and improve it as fast as possible, but you still accomplish your mission, armored humvee or not.

The media is probably doing more complaining than the troops are. Keep things stirred up. That's there motto.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that Rumsfeld wants to fight this war on the "cheap". He has had 18 months to get the equipment the troops need. The situation HAS NOT changed in 18 months. This is not a media thing, I am voicing an opinion as a father who hears this from a soldier all the time. He is not complaining and he does his job-they all do. BUT they do have the right to ask the dense secretary a proper question AND not get an arrogant answer back. Period.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

four-niner delta wrote:
My point is that Rumsfeld wants to fight this war on the "cheap". He has had 18 months to get the equipment the troops need. The situation HAS NOT changed in 18 months. This is not a media thing, I am voicing an opinion as a father who hears this from a soldier all the time. He is not complaining and he does his job-they all do. BUT they do have the right to ask the dense secretary a proper question AND not get an arrogant answer back. Period.

If you haven't seen this, maybe it will address some of your concerns.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/breaking_10.html
U.S. Central Command has added armor to 22,000 of its 30,000 fleet

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Friday, December 10, 2004
The United States has satisfied about 70 percent of the military's combat armored vehicle requirements in the Middle East and surrounding regions.

Officials said that over the last year the U.S. Army has vastly increased the number of combat and support military vehicles that received armor. They said the aim was to armor every vehicle deployed by the U.S. military in the Middle East, Persian Gulf, South Asia and Central Asia regions.

Officials and soldiers said the accelerated rate of production has been insufficient to achieve the army's goal to armor its entire vehicle fleet in Iraq. They said the result has been a significant shortage of armored vehicles particularly among transport and support units, which has affected supplies to U.S. troops in Iraq.

At the same time, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld echoed the Pentagon assessment that armored vehicles don't guarantee troop safety. He cited the destruction of U.S. main battle tanks from mines, and other officials said 120 up-armored Humvees were destroyed by insurgency attacks in Iraq, Middle East Newsline reported.

"You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and a tank can be blown up," Rumsfeld said.

Defense Department officials said U.S. contractors were cranking out hundreds of armored Humvees per month for the army. They said that only 15 months ago production of armored Humvees was about 30 per month.
On Dec. 8, Rumsfeld, meeting U.S. forces in Kuwait, was told that army units were digging through local landfills for "pieces of scrap metal and compromised ballistic glass to up-armor our vehicles."

Rumsfeld responded that production capability marked a key element in the acquisition of up-armored kits for military vehicles deployed in Iraq.

"The army has been pressing ahead to produce the armor necessary at a rate that they believe," Rumsfeld said. "It's a greatly expanded rate from what existed previously — but, at a rate that they believe is the rate that is all that can be accomplished at this moment."

The U.S. military set a requirement of 8,100 up-armored Humvees, of which about 6,000 were being produced, officials said. They said that about 22,000 of Central Command's fleet of 30,000 vehicles have received some form of armor.

Over the last few months, the army has expanded the up-armor effort to include non-combat vehicles in Iraq, officials said. They said the army has added armor to 507 heavy tactical trucks, 492 medium tactical vehicles, two heavy equipment trailers, eight M-915 trucks and 187 palletized load system vehicles that serve in Iraq. The army has operated four depots, two arsenals and one ammunition plant for the production of the armor kits.

Lt. Gen. Steve Whitcomb, commander of the U.S. Third Army, outlined three levels of up-armoring. In a briefing on Thursday, Whitecomb said Level One, manufactured in the United States, provides glass and other armament on the side, front, rear, top and bottom of the vehicle. He said slightly under 6,000 vehicles have received such protection.

Another 10,000 vehicles have received Level 2 protection, or the installation of add-on armor on existing vehicles. Whitcomb said such work has taken place in Iraq and Kuwait. Whitcomb said Level 2 does not provide protection at the top or bottom of the vehicle.

The lowest level, regarded as an interim measure, was termed Level 3, or hardening. This involved the welding of steel plates on military vehicles.

"Our real focus for the Level 3 armor is not the Humvees," Whitcomb said. "It's really the series of trucks that the army uses in combat operations. We're not doing it in large numbers yet. We're doing it where we can. We're building a capacity to be able to do that more frequently, to refurbish the fleet. But that is an issue."

Officials said the army has decided to produce armor add-on kits for all wheeled vehicles deployed to Iraq and the rest of the area under U.S. Central Command. The command is responsible for most of the Middle East, Persian Gulf, Central Asia and South Asia.

Pentagon spokesman Larry Di Rita said the decision to launch add-on armor production took place around August 2003 amid in an increase in insurgency bombing attacks on U.S. combat vehicles and covoys in Iraq. Di Rita said army commanders determined that combat troops and support units were not sufficiently protected from rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and roadside bombs, known in the military as improvised explosive devices.

In Iraq, Di Rita, said, commanders no longer permit unarmored vehicles to drive alone. Instead, they have been placed in convoys with combat armored vehicles.

"Commanders there at that point started to face this growing improvised explosive device challenge and said that they would like to have higher numbers of armored Humvees than they had originally projected," Di Rita said.

In December, the Pentagon awarded a $6.6 million contract to O'Gara-Hess & Eisenhardt Armoring Armoring for support of up-armored Humvees for the army. The Fairfield, Ohio-based company was contracted to complete the project by December 2007.

Officials said that in 2004, the army has been producing about 450 armored Humvees per month. They said the armor add-on kits were being fitted on to the 19,000 Humvees in the U.S. Central Command area of operations.

So far, 15,000 Humvees have been fitted with armor. The command has a total of 30,000 vehicles and officials said about 8,000 of them have no form of armor protection.

"While armor provides protection, it is not the be-all and end-all for security," Pentagon spokesman Maj. Paul Swiergosz said. "The army's IED Task Force and the Center for Army Lessons Learned have provided as much, if not more, protection for our forces by sharing tactics, techniques and procedures to help counter IED attacks."
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one have a hard time accepting shortages and bad equipment. I almost died because of a piece of crap rifle they gave us in Vietnam, many did die it's unforgivable.

Here's a good read if anyone is intrested in the war along the DMZ and how badly the M16 performed.

"Con Thien - Hill of Angels" James P. Coan

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck wrote:
I for one have a hard time accepting shortages and bad equipment. I almost died because of a piece of crap rifle they gave us in Vietnam, many did die it's unforgivable.

Here's a good read if anyone is intrested in the war along the DMZ and how badly the M16 performed.

"Con Thien - Hill of Angels" James P. Coan

Well understood.

I haven't heard about weapons problems in Iraq, just protection ones.

Given a choice I' rather have a rifle that worked properly than body armor or an armored humvee.

Roger?
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to fire the SAW and M16 down at 29 Stumps last year. They have definetly fixed the problems with the M16. When we were in country after many Marines died they recalled all the ammo and gave us a new bolt and buffer which didn't entirely fix the jamming problem but it did fix the problem of leaving the casing in the barrel. (that was the most serious of the problems and to top it off they only gave us one cleaning kit for every 3 rifles). During a fire fight we were tossing the cleaning rod to each other to eject the jammed casing. I would of shot McNamara if I would of seen him at that time.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

My first patrol and firefight, an M16 went to single shot-manual eject, single shot and so on. Fortunately, I was the team grenadier and also carried an M16, which I gave to the other Marine. Gas tube was stopped up, nothing to clean it with, the hole was so small.

When I became a team leader and had my choice of weapons, I carried a 12 Guage pump. That sucker never jammed!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: