SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie Mae
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

Hi, I am new here. I have been a reader for some time now, but only recently joined. I am looking for some help in getting some information. Can anyone tell me how to find out who was with John Kerry and the fence where he through medals or (?) ribbons or (?) something over the fence. My sister's new husband claims to have been next to Kerry and that is why he has no medals from his service in Vietnam. She moved him into her house after knowing him for only 6 weeks, and married less than a year later. Quite frankly the guy creeps me out. I am trying to figure out if he is a liar or a traitor. Any guidance or directions to go in would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the medal tossing....some pics here
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=111772&sid=#111772

lotsa pics here
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=111823&sid=#111823

video here
http://www.wintersoldier.com/video/medaltoss.wmv

interesting reason for research Rolling Eyes
good luck, maybe others can point out some other pics, or resources...

and some Vets here may be able to point you to resources for checking out the guy

moving to Geedunk--

Last edited by kate on Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie Mae
If the guy is not a phony, he can get a copy of his discharge document (DD214) for the asking from the National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Ave. St. Louis, MO63132-5100. The DD214 will list all his medals and awards. He can also obtain replacement medals for free from the same place. A simple letter will do, but it is more "official" to submit a Standard Form 180, which is available on the VA's website. Of course, he should already have a copy of his DD214. Most vets know how important it is, and keep a copy - or the original - very carefully. Everyone gets one upon discharge.

Last edited by d19thdoc on Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help Reply with quote

Maggie Mae wrote:
Hi, I am new here. I have been a reader for some time now, but only recently joined. I am looking for some help in getting some information. Can anyone tell me how to find out who was with John Kerry and the fence where he through medals or (?) ribbons or (?) something over the fence. My sister's new husband claims to have been next to Kerry and that is why he has no medals from his service in Vietnam. She moved him into her house after knowing him for only 6 weeks, and married less than a year later. Quite frankly the guy creeps me out. I am trying to figure out if he is a liar or a traitor. Any guidance or directions to go in would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the forums Maggie and sorry to hear about your sister. I have a gut feeling he either was never in the military or was in the military but never served in combat during the war. The whole fantasy of lots of men from the war throwing their medals away is just that a fantasy. Many soldiers disagreed with the war and even protested after the war, but also knew that to throw away medals would be to dishonor eveyone who sacrificed regardless of ideological belief.

Keep in mind Maggie everyone who served in the military recieved medals just because a war was going on regardless if they were ever in combat. As my father remarked at my grandfathers funeral upon seeing his medals for the first time he said "those are the real thing unlike the medals I have."

My father served in Vietnam but never saw action, whereas my grandfather fought in the Pacific in WWII and wounded many times not leaving the war until he was in a coma for 1 month and had the right side of his body above the waist paralyzed for life.

I would like to add when I say many soldiers protested it was actually a very small minority which would of never even been heard if not for the MSM and their promotion of a few people. One person protesting while their brethren are in combat is one too many.
Maggie Mae
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I am trying to watch the video closely to see if I see him. It's hard to tell more than 30 years later. My reasons are numerous for wanting the truth. He has been diagnosed with MS, he claims it is from Agent Orange in Vietnam. I am no expert, but I have never heard and can find no claim to that. The real impetus was at Christmas when they were talking to my nephew who just returned from boot camp. He has never been a good student and has been in trouble, he joined the reserves trying to do something good with his life and I am very proud of him. In a conversation where I had asked him if he had any orders yet, these 2 started talking politics with him and were ripping our efforts in Iraq in general and President Bush in particular. He was bothered by it as he really doesn't follow it very closely and is operating on instinct. When they started talking about Jerry's medals and how he was in the picture with Kerry and threw his medals over the wall, let's just say we left abruptly for my mother's sake. I have never been known to keep my opinions to myself very well. Rolling Eyes Anyway, my sister is an adult with adult children, whatever choices she makes are up to her. Oddly enough her daughter-in-law is wanting to join the Navy. Odd for a bunch of Liberals.

I had been sending emails out to friends and family before the election in an attempt to sway some people. I was told by the one wanting to join the Navy, and her mother to stop. They were ardent Kerry supporters and did not want to hear anything from me. I told them they were welcome to send me any facts about Bush they thought were important for me to know, but that they needed to know the facts about Kerry also. 2 weeks before the election, the mother sent me an email that had caused her to reconsider her vote. I found that very encouraging. It was a letter from a lifelong Dem who was voting for Bush. Her friend, also a Dem, was convinced by this letter to vote for Bush. I was so hopeful we could turn Looney, Liberal Minnesota for Bush!
My sister attempted to converse with me about the election, but when I blasted her with facts, she admitted that I knew more than her. Of course that wasn't enough to change her little closed mind! Mad Grrrr. Those people annoy me!

Anyway, thanks again, and if you know of any news articles from that time about the protest, maybe I could find a list of names. His name is very common so I may never know for sure. God Bless and Happy New Year everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: