SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frontpagemag.com Interview:Larry Schweikart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Frontpagemag.com Interview:Larry Schweikart Reply with quote

A few years ago I wanted to read a definitive historical account of our nation’s history and remembered a book an ex-girlfriend praised to high heaven. The book was 'A Peoples History of the United States' by Howard Zinn. I had recently watched the movie Good Will Hunting and the book was mentioned in the same scene as 'Manufacturing Consent' by Chomsky, so I was warned ahead of time this might be a leftist publication, yet decided to give it a read. The book is nothing more then a shrill anti-american screed in a chronological timeline of how America is nothing more then an imperialistic nation which imposes its evil economical and ideological pulse on the rest of the world. And the peoples Zinn refers to in the title of the book are the 95 percent of Americans who are enslaved by the 5 percent captains of industry who are nothing more then the modern day master oppressing their slaves. Recently I discovered Matt Damon and Ben Affleck grew up on the same street as Zinn in a very affluent neighborhood worshipping at the alter of their ideological God, Zinn. This debunks their whole persona of the working class kids from Boston or wherever the hell they come from and gives us insight into their radical left ideology. Having read this communist book and realizing it is required reading in most colleges; I was left thinking there is a great demand for a history book which actually gives us a definitive account of Americas past. It appears such a book might now be obtainable.

'A Patriots History of the United States' by Larry Schweikart & Michael Allen

I love how they replace peoples with patriots in the title. This is a definite shot at Zinns communist publication.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=16830

An excerpt,

Quote:
FP: What do you think motivates many Americans to loathe their own country?

Schweikart: I think this has its origins in several underlying factors. One is, liberals hate capitalism because it's been my experience that they just don't understand it. Most haven't read Adam Smith and certainly don't get that "self interest" is not selfishness. So right off the bat, any country that is primarily capitalist is "evil."

Second, they rightly recognize (but usually won't admit) the fact that Americans are blessed by God, and that as a nation we have honored Him, and therefore can be blessed by Him. They hate that about us---that we are, for all of our sin and rebellion, still pretty much a Christian nation. Liberals hate God-talk, whether it comes from an Orthodox Jew or a "fundamentalist" Christian (by which they mean any Christian who practices what he or she preaches!) They want to rely solely on themselves, which is the ultimate rebellion against God. Yet deep inside, they know this is wrong, and it eats at them. Jesus encountered the "rich young ruler" who "went away sad" because he would not do what Jesus told him to do, with the implication being that his sadness came because he knew what was the right thing to do, but his ego got in the way. Liberals hate that little voice that keeps telling them, "There is a God, and you're not him." It makes them angry people.

Third, they loathe the notion that America has a special role in the world---a GOOD role---and to them the notion that any one country is "better" than another is anathema. So they get themselves in this remarkable pickle: they rail against "oppression" and "violations" of "human rights," yet hate the only country in the world capable of doing anything about it. More important, since most of the time, the only way to deal with tyrannies is to defeat them militarily, liberals are even more exorcised because they can't stand the use of military force.

DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the evil, oppressive US of A, where the government has to put up a wall on our borders to keep people from leaving because it is so bad here.

Here in Southern California (the sane part of La-La Land) we used to have a whole bunch of illegal aliens from Mexico, but they all went back home because it is so terrible here. The streets are empty, and forget about getting some cheap, hard-working help at a Home Depot parking lot on a Saturday morning.

I work for one of those evil capitalist captains of industry, and I have to tell you I feel VERY friggin oppressed every time I get a paycheck and have to decide if I'm going to spend it on my mortgage (it's a dump, but it's MY dump and MY dirt, and fixing it up keeps me busy on weekends), or on my bills, like the payment for my new car. Boo hoo, I'm SO oppressed by my evil boss.

Why, you know what? I had to actually EARN my pay raise last year. I had to demonstrate consistent hard work that helped the company before that cheapskate would raise my pay a little. I feel so demeaned at having to accomplish something tangible that helps other people before I can get my reward. Yeah, yeah, I know, a lot of other people are getting laid off so what am I griping about? I'll tell you what. What ever happened to being rewarded just for breathing?!?!?!

I tell you, if my job and compensation get any worse I'll have to seriously consider revising my current policy of "you have to dynamite me outta this chair if you want me to leave."
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Frontpagemag.com Interview:Larry Schweikart Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
Quote:
A few years ago I wanted to read a definitive historical account of our nation’s history and remembered a book an ex-girlfriend praised to high heaven. The book was 'A Peoples History of the United States' by Howard Zinn.

Zinn was one of the non-military "witnesses" at the Winter Soldier Investigation in 1971 - the "factual" basis for Kerry's infamous Senate Committee testimony. So, he has been humping the same dry hole for a lifetime. It is helpful to know the roster for the Enemy Within team, and not be duped by any of them. In Zinn's case, he is both cause and effect of what is currently eating away at the soul of America - especially young America in academia. Sort of a Foundering Father.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My email to Dr. Larry Schweikart, the author of this new history book:
Quote:
Dear Dr. Schweikart,
I found this comment in the captioned interview insightful, and worthy of further consideration:

Quote:
That’s why I think the modern so-called “left” in fact greatly resembles the Nazis: they are anti-religious (unless it is their state, secular religion of “man” or Gaia); they are anti-Semitic; they hate freedom; and they are ruthless in their speech and behavior codes.

When it gets right down to it, both the Islamofascists and the modern Moore-ish left are terrified of the freedom of ideas. As a Christian, I’m convinced in the rightness of my ideas and that they will win out without force. It’s interesting that new research, which we cite in Patriot’s History, shows that the more competition there is in religion, the better the so-called “fundamentalist” denominations do. I don’t know if that applies to Orthodox Jewry---that wasn’t included in the study---but from my perspective, if all ideas are able to be expressed, the best ideas will always win. This doesn’t sit well with the Left and the Islamofascists. Many Muslim countries strictly prohibit missionaries and evangelizing. I don’t know if it’s still the case, but 20 years ago contractors working in Saudi Arabia were told they could not bring Bibles, crosses, Stars of David, or many other religions items that challenged Islam.

Well, if you think about the Left’s “enemies list,” God is at the top, and especially Jesus. A generic “god” is ok for now, but of course, they want to get rid of that concept too. I think, then, they see the Judeo-Christian God as the central threat to everything they do, and don’t take Allah as much of a threat at all. Therefore, the Islamic nations aren’t a problem in their book.

However, I have begun to think a lot about the Left's increasing attacks on religion, especially Christianity and the increasingly anti-Semitic flavor of the Left's allegiances. I am convinced the root cause of this lies deeper than anyone has caught, and I'd like you to think about it. The basis of both Judaism and Christianity is the Ten Commandments - a cultural rule of law which was widely agreed upon, even when ignored or violated, by all of Western Civilization, from Constantine to Marx. And it is the cultural/legal basis for private property rights. All of the Left's efforts toward disunity (a/k/a/ "diversity" and anti-assimilation politics), its attack on Judaism and Christianity, and it support for the greatest force to oppose both (militant Islamofascism) is all part and parcel of the drive toward communal ownership of property and the enthronement of the Deity of Human Reason, which brooks no competition and which requires a fatal hubris in all who worship it.

I am writing in hopes that this thread may become more widely understood through those, such as yourself, who have a wide audience and the intelligence and historical background to see the argument.

In my opinion, the attack on religion in America which we are now witnessing has little to do with any "freedom" (from religion) presumably discovered in our Constitution, and everything to do with a very secular and material based ideology - who will control the "stuff;" i.e. power and freedom.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: