SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEIGHBOR MARINE PASSES AWAY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarhead
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: NEIGHBOR MARINE PASSES AWAY Reply with quote

I awoke this morning to hear a fire rescue truck outside of my bedroom window. As I rushed outside to see what was going on, the paramedics were carrying my next door neighbor on a stretcher into the fire rescue truck to try and revive him. Unfortunately, he did not make it as we later learned from his roommate who went to the hospital along with fire rescue. I did not know this person as he had just recently moved in as a new roommate. His name was Thomas Frye, born in 1942 and raised in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I learned that Thomas had done 2 tours in Viet Nam as a US Marine so I felt a special connection to him without ever formally meeting him. We always said hello to each other as we passed each other outside on the street. I also learned that Thomas had no health insurance, no next of kin and very little money for a decent burial. His roommate knew that he was a vet so we searched his wallet and found a Veterans Universal health card. I called the VA and we are arranging for Thomas to have a proper burial with military honors. We are trying to see if we can get him buried at Florida National Cemetary in Bushnell, FL so that he may be buried with dignity as he so rightly deserved. I am just sorry that I didn't get to know him earlier and we weren't able to share stories about our days in the Corps. I will make sure that Thomas has a decent burial and will make the trip to Florida National Cemetary to lay him to rest. Farwell, and Semper Fi' Marine. You served your country when she called you and we will miss you. God bless this great country, god bless Thomas and god bless the Corps!

"I am a bold Internationalist, I will only disperse American troups around the world at the discretion of the United Nations" - John Kerry

$UCK THE CORRUPT UNITED NATIONS - I am a Jarhead and I approve this message
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead, thanks for posting this and everything you are doing for Thomas.

It felt odd reading this as I was raised in nearly the same area of Florida, maybe just a couple miles south and I too didn't know him, didn't even serve in the same branch of the military. But everytime I hear of another Viet Nam Vet passing away, I feel like I lost another brother.

Maybe you can also contact either the VFW or American Legion locally. They too may be able to help pay proper respects to a lonely brother in passing.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper Fi!, Marine. It really is true, you guys never leave a brother behind. Thanks, Jarhead
an old Squid
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Jarhead
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew,

Thanks for the kind words but since Thomas has no next of kin somebody needs to make sure a brother veteran is buried with dignity. I would want somebody to do the same for me if I was in that same position. I am in Port Saint Lucie, FL but spent 20 years in Hollywood (Broward County), FL. You must be from around that area??

LewWaters wrote:
Jarhead, thanks for posting this and everything you are doing for Thomas.

It felt odd reading this as I was raised in nearly the same area of Florida, maybe just a couple miles south and I too didn't know him, didn't even serve in the same branch of the military. But everytime I hear of another Viet Nam Vet passing away, I feel like I lost another brother.

Maybe you can also contact either the VFW or American Legion locally. They too may be able to help pay proper respects to a lonely brother in passing.

"I am a bold Internationalist, I will only disperse American troups around the world at the discretion of the United Nations" - John Kerry

$UCK THE CORRUPT UNITED NATIONS - I am a Jarhead and I approve this message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: