SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terri Shiavo's Father Reaches Out Through Newsmax
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Terri Shiavo's Father Reaches Out Through Newsmax Reply with quote

Just received this email from Newsmax:

Dear NewsMax Reader:

Please find below an important message from Terri Shiavo's father, Bob Schindler Sr. They have some important information to share with you regarding new attempts to starve his disabled daughter to death. Please take action right away on this important issue.

Thank you.

NewsMax.com

Quote:
Help Save My Daughter From Starvation! (from Terri Schiavo's father)

Dear Friend of Life,

By now you have probably heard about a young woman who is threatened with starvation in Florida.

That young woman is my daughter, Terri. In 1990, through circumstances which are shrouded in mystery (and may involve a criminal act by Terri's estranged husband), my daughter was left severely brain-damaged.

But before I go any further, I must put an end to the lies and misinformation that are circulating around the country through the media concerning my daughter's condition.

Contrary to anything you may have heard, Terri is NOT brain dead; Terri is NOT in a coma; she is NOT in a "persistent vegetative state;" nor is she on ANY life-support system.

Terri Schiavo responds
to her mother's touch

Terri laughs, Terri cries, she moves, and she makes child-like attempts at speech with her mother and me. Sometimes she will say "Mom" or "Dad" or "yeah" when we ask her a question. When I kiss her hello or goodbye, she looks at me and "puckers up" her lips.

This may not seem like much to you, but it means everything to Terri's mother and me. It tells us she is still here, she still knows us, and with therapy and time she can have some level of recovery.

I know that there are some hard hearted people who believe that due to my daughters condition, she is better off dead. Words cannot describe the pain and anger such sentiments cause us. This is our daughter, our little girl, and even in her disabled condition, she still has the right to life and the right to be loved and cared for by her family.

Why, you may ask, is Terry in danger of death by starvation?

It is a long and outrageous story, but I'll give it to you as briefly as I can.

After the "incident" that left Terry in this condition, her husband Michael Schiavo sued various members of the medical community for money, saying that they did not treat or diagnose her properly at an early stage, and that he needed this money to provide for Terri's therapy and rehabilitation and care.

After lengthy court battles, he finally won upwards of $1.7 million under the guise of caring for our daughter, and then to our horror, he immediately began spending the money on himself and his Playboy lifestyle.

Terri's estranged husband Michael Schiavo has been living with another woman for years, and has two children by her. He is determined to see Terri dead. Why? We believe it's because he gets to keep whatever money is left... and he may have even darker motives than that.

To add insult to all of this injury toward my daughter, Michael Schiavo is still her "legal husband" and therefore is her "guardian." And since they are not legally divorced, he controls whatever health care she will and will not get. We are not even allowed to know if she is getting aspirin.

In 1993 my family initiated litigation against Michael Schiavo solely for the purpose of acquiring medical, physical and neurological assistance for our daughter Terri. The litigation escalated in 1998 when Michael Schiavo petitioned the court to stop Terri from receiving food and water, thereby starving her to death.

In filing this legal action, he retained the services of a high profile euthanasia attorney and the financial backing of powerful euthanasia organizations. He also used Terri's medical rehabilitation money to underwrite much of the legal expenses associated with his effort to starve our daughter to death.

We know that he has spent nearly $500,000 of Terri's money in attorney's fees for just one attorney trying to obtain a court order to have Terri starved to death. The very money that was supposed to be used for Terri's rehabilitation is being used to have her killed.

We very quickly discovered it was impossible for us to compete with the abundance of financial and legal resources the pro-death organizations were providing Micheal Schiavo in their effort to kill Terri. They are pouring time and effort into her starvation because they want to use this case to further the agenda of legalized euthanasia.

My wife and I are not wealthy people. Throughout those years, we did not have any large organizations trying to help rescue our daughter. Consequently, we had to rely on the generosity of attorneys who were willing to offer their legal expertise at no cost or at reduced fees.

The bottom line is that we are in the final weeks or months of our struggle to rescue our daughter from an untimely death by starvation. Death by starvation is very slow, and extremely painful. As you must know, it is against the law to deliberately starve an animal to death. There are members of the Florida court who would not treat a dog the way they plan to treat my daughter.

At this point we must pull out all the stops in our fight to rescue our daughter.

As parents, we are desperate to save our daughter's life. As people who love life, we are determined to deprive the euthanasia advocates of successfully legalizing this form of homicide. We believe that their efforts to kill Terri are designed to set a precedent for the future eradication of defenseless disabled human beings. I was alive when Americans fought the Nazis; I do not want my daughter to meet the same fate of thousands of disabled people in Nazi Germany, and I do not want our country to go down that same dark path.

Friend, though we have never met, I'm asking you for your help. We desperately need your financial assistance to help our family continue the battle to keep our daughter from being starved to death. There are so many expenses in a case like this it is mind-boggling and overwhelming. Please click below to make a contribution now:

http://cl.exct.net/?ffcd16-fe5715747c6c0d7d7010-fe0c15737560067977167074

Our adversaries believe that by our family's financial attrition and difficulties, they will attain their objective of killing our daughter. Presently, Terri's starvation may only be a few weeks away, unless we find the financial resources to prevent this atrocity from becoming a reality.

I implore you to please help us. We are writing to you, because we believe you have a heart for justice and mercy. I'm asking you to put yourself in my shoes, and then do whatever you can to help our family. Whether it is $10 or $1000, we are desperate for the resources to fight this battle for our daughter's life at this critical juncture.

Please do whatever you can, and forward this e-mail to any friends or family that you have who you think might be interested in saving Terri's life.

I thank you for your time, your concern, and I solicit your prayers for Terri and our entire family. These have been very trying times for us all.

Sincerely,

Bob Schindler Sr
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD,thats a tough post.
Most people have been following it thru the months, The only thing that disturbs me is that the husband and her didnt have kids, so this isnt a family decission. If the man felt so strongly about the situation--there wouldnt be anything being talked about!
He should turn over what ever rights he has and let her family make those decisions.
Why doesnt this guy speak to the media?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That he is so adamant about her dying, is very suspect to me. Early on in this, I read what little news there was concerning her admission to the hospital. I have a hard time believing she simply collapsed and sustained the injuries she did.

The family has bent over backwards begging him to just let them care for her, at their expense, he can keep whatever money was awarded and left, yet, all he wants is for her to die. Why?

If it was really her wish, why only the husband and a few close personal friends of his only know about it? Surely she would have expressed her desire within her own family.

He's moved on with another woman, had children and only wishes for Terri to die? Like I siad, his motives are very suspect to me.
kman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody watch ER last week? It was the episode where the conscious woman was trapped in her body, unable to communicate, after having a stroke. I have a friend who went through exactly that, and he said death would have been welcomed had the condition been long term.

Wifeo and I have discussed this and each of us would want the plug pulled regardless of what the "family" wants. ASSuming this guy had that discussion with his wife, I'd pull the plug too. Sorry if this sounds cold.

JMO

Kurt
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kman-
I wouldn't want to live that way either. I would hate to have to make these choices as a parent. The thing is, she isn't on life support, so pulling the plug means starving her to death, i.e. terrible suffering. I didn't even know that was ever an option. Also there is the issue with the husband clearly being motivated by money. Her money. Otherwise...why not get a divorce and let the parents deal with it like they are begging to do?

Last edited by Rdtf on Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Schiavo case now being discussed on "Kevin McCullough Live" (see media events)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terri Schiavo should be given equal protection under 14th Amendment.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=6670

Quote:
Terri Schiavo Counts: Now Give Her Equal Protection
by Terence P. Jeffrey
Posted Feb 23, 2005

Before lawmakers in Florida allow Terri Schiavo, a mentally disabled woman who is fed through a tube, to be starved and dehydrated to death, they ought to take a careful look at the 2000 Census.

It explains why the Constitution compels them to keep fighting for Terri's life.

In 2003, a Florida judge decided Terri's estranged husband (who has two children by another woman) could disconnect her tube and kill her by starvation and dehydration. Gov. Jeb Bush persuaded Florida's legislature to enact a law allowing him to restore Terri's tube. But the law was narrowly cast: It applied only to Terri, retroactively reversing the judge's decision to authorize her killing.

The Florida Supreme Court overturned Terri's Law, saying the governor and legislature did not have the authority to reverse a final judicial determination made under existing state laws. Last month, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear Bush's appeal of the decision.

But the truth is Terri's Law did not go far enough. This time Gov. Bush and the Florida legislature should protect not only Terri Schiavo from starvation and dehydration, but also every other person in the state.

As the 2000 census illustrates, this is their constitutional duty.

Under the 14th Amendment, the Constitution requires the census to count "the whole number of persons in each State." Accordingly, the 2000 Census counted 88,828 "persons" living in nursing homes in Florida, 3,538 living in "hospitals/wards and hospices for the chronically ill," and 4,233 living in psychiatric hospitals or wards. Nationwide, it counted 1,720,500 persons living in nursing homes.

There was no degree of disability, incapacitation or illness that disqualified someone from being counted as a "person" under the Census Bureau's 14th Amendment mandate to count "the whole number of persons."

Under the 14th Amendment, Terri Schiavo and other disabled people are indisputably "persons."

Even judges who wrongly deny that unborn babies are persons, cannot deny that the 41-year-old Terri Shiavo is a person. Every member of the U.S. House of Representatives is elected from a district drawn a certain way because all disabled persons such as Terri Schiavo were counted just like any other person under the plain meaning of 14th Amendment.

This presents what ought be an insurmountable constitutional obstacle for those who want state governments--either through their courts or legislatures--to legalize the killing of innocent persons like Terri Schiavo, no matter by what means the intended killing is affected. The same 14th Amendment that considers Terri a "person" when it comes to taking a census and apportioning Congress, also says, "No State shall . . . deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Terri has an equal right to every other person in Florida to the state's protection from homicidal acts. Florida may no more legalize killing mentally disabled persons than it can legalize killing persons with brown hair.

America has seen antecedents to this type of moral crisis. There is an ineradicable force in the fallen nature of man that will always drive some human beings to trample the God-given rights of others. The reason we have a Constitution is to stop them. It is especially the reason we have a 14th Amendment.

When the Constitution was originally ratified it did not command the census to count all persons. It commanded that it count "the whole Number of free Persons" and only "three fifths of all other Persons." The "other persons," of course, were African American slaves. Many Southerners preferred slaves to be counted as persons when it came to apportioning their state's congressional representation, but not when it came to apportioning federal taxes among the states by population. Many Northerners, who rightly viewed slavery as a gross violation of human rights, nonetheless wanted slaves counted as persons for apportioning taxes, but not for apportioning congressional seats.

Northerners and Southerners compromised and wrote constitutional language that pretended slaves were not full persons. This failure to recognize and protect the full humanity of all persons was the original sin of the Republic. It led to years of turmoil, a bloody Civil War, and finally, a 13th Amendment to abolish slavery, and a 14th Amendment to ensure that all states give all persons equal protection of the law--and that all persons are counted in the census.

All along, the Declaration of Independence had stated the truth: God endows all men with certain inalienable rights, including life and liberty.

Florida lawmakers must protect Terri Schiavo and all other persons from death by starvation and dehydration. It is their constitutional duty.

Terence Jeffrey is Editor of HUMAN EVENTS.
If you would like to send a comment to Mr. Jeffrey you can reach him by email at terencejeffrey@eaglepub.com

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge Extends Stay!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=533&e=2&u=/ap/20050223/ap_on_re_us/brain_damaged_woman
kman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
Kman-
I wouldn't want to live that way either. I would hate to have to make these choices as a parent. The thing is, she isn't on life support, so pulling the plug means starving her to death, i.e. terrible suffering. I didn't even know that was ever an option. Also there is the issue with the husband clearly being motivated by money. Her money. Otherwise...why not get a divorce and let the parents deal with it like they are begging to do?

I don't claim to know the details of their particular arrangement, but if that were me, I'd want that feeding tube OUT! I wouldn't care if people were in line to "take care" of me. IMO, that's not care--it's prolonged suffering. I just don't see the difference between a breathing tube and a feeding tube. Both are artificial life support, neither of which I want. Speaking just for me now, not her.

Kurt
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: I say. Reply with quote

I say husband wants her to die before she wakes up and can tell prosecutors what he did to her to cause this condition. Him saying she told him she would want him to "pull the plug", so to speak, amounts to heresay. Last I heard heresay was not admissable in court. The judge should be allowed to wear his armband, ala 1940 Cermany.

I thought we won and he committed suicide. Where am I?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but if that were me, I'd want that feeding tube OUT! I wouldn't care if people were in line to "take care" of me. IMO, that's not care--it's prolonged suffering.

This is the whole crux of this case. She has no record left behind of any express wish to pull out the tube, only the suspicious word of her husband and a few of his close friends.

Had she left a living will and expressed a desire to not be kept alive by these means, then there would be no problem. That he fights so long and so hard to see her dead is very suspicious to me. Also consider, she barely received minimal care and virtually no rehabilitative care after the awards were received by him (under the auspices of providing such care).

The family has a website, terrisfight.org, and there is videos of her responding to her mother. She is awake, eyes open and many believe with some rehabilitation, could feed herself.

But, what still sticks in my craw is how she got this way in the first place and why there was no investigation into possible spousal abuse. I would also ask why the same judge has been left on this case since he is a supporter of euthanasia and very biased against Terri's life continuing.
AMOS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: WTF? Reply with quote

Christopher Reeve: Couldn't care for himself. Couldn't feed himself. COULDN'T BREATHE ON HIS OWN! We let him (and other quadriplegics) LIVE!

Terri Schiavo: Couldn't care for herself. Couldn't feed herself. So, let's kill her.

Rumor has it Judge Greer's first name is Adolph. Although I made that up, it fits.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1350523/posts

Terri Schiavo Possibly Abused, Florida Agency Wants 60 Days to Investigate
Lifenews.com ^ | February 24, 2005 | Steve Ertelt
Posted on 02/24/2005 4:15:22 PM PST by FreepinforTerri
AMOS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Ahhh, yes. Reply with quote

Ahhh,yes............the power of prayer.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least one reporter has changed his mind about this and has finally printed someting that makes sense.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/10985482.htm?1c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: