SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Army - Khe Sanh/Ah Shaw(sp?) valley operation - 68

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Army - Khe Sanh/Ah Shaw(sp?) valley operation - 68 Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone reading might have known my cousin, Donald Carlson. He was Army, but I don't know anything more than that (I could probably find out more if needed.) He was involved in the Khe Sanh/Ah Shaw valley (sorry , didn't go to Nam, so I don't know the spellings) stuff in 68 and he was killed in combat. He was from Minnesota, if that helps.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the spelling is "A Shau Valley". It was about 25 miles long, WNW of Da Nang, South of Quang Tri and near the Laotian border and was a part of the Ho Chi Min Trail.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, BuffaloJack. My cousin was KIA in that area. I was just wondering if anybody reading might have known him over there. He and I were best of friends.
gunbunny69
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Khe Sanh in late 68 and all of 69. I was in the 3rd. of the 18th. Artillery, US Army. (175mm guns & 8" Howitzers - self-propelled) LZ Ross; which was just outside of the village. The name does not ring a bell. I wish the best for you and hope you can resolve your search!

Khe Sanh (LZ Ross) 1969
crockspot
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked a couple of the "wall" sites, and did some google searches, and found a little info. This may be helpful to you in finding what you seek.

http://www.vvmf.org//index.cfm?SectionID=110&Wall_Id_No=7909.0

http://tanaya.net/vmw/C/rec-7881.html (This link is dead at the moment, but maybe it will work for you)

If you can find out which specific unit he was in (the second link may provide that info), his unit may have a website gathering place for the vets from that unit. That is your best bet for finding people who served with him. My cousin was also KIA in A Shau Valley, and I discovered his unit's web site, which provided me with a treasure trove of information.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: