SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O'Reilly:New Churchill Plagiarism Charges, Threats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: O'Reilly:New Churchill Plagiarism Charges, Threats Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150369,00.html

Quote:
Will the University of Colorado Pay Ward Churchill to Leave?
Monday, March 14, 2005

This is a partial transcript from "The O'Reilly Factor," Mar. 11, 2005, that has been edited for clarity.

BILL O'REILLY, HOST: In the "Unresolved problem" segment, a new charge of plagiarism against radical Professor Ward Churchill (search). And a report the University of Colorado (search) may pay him hundreds of thousands of dollars to leave.

College professor in Nova Scotia, Fay Cowans, says Churchill cribbed her article on an Indian fishing treaty. And The Denver Post reports that C.U. has agreed to pay Churchill around a half million bucks.
Joining us now from the Mile-high City, Dan Caplis, who is following the story on KHOW Radio.

All right, let's get to the plagiarism. It isn't the first time that he's been accused of plagiarism, Churchill. And this woman says not only did he plagiarize, but he threatened her. Is that what's going on?

DAN CAPLIS, RADIO TALK SHOW HOST: That's right, Bill. And this is an enormous development.

As you mentioned a second ago, the university and Churchill were within hours of a deal which would have paid Churchill hundreds of thousands of dollars to leave a deal most of the state vehemently opposes. When this morning's Rocky Mountain News carried this major story of plagiarism you just alluded to.

But this one's different, Bill. This is the smoking gun, because here, the University of Colorado can't make excuses for Churchill, because the University in Nova Scotia (search) has concluded — their own legal counsel has reached the conclusion — that Churchill did plagiarize this professor in Nova Scotia. And then, on top of that, called her in the middle of the night to threaten her.

And we've seen a pattern of that here. He's also accused of threatening a female professor in the journalism department, said she'd get hurt if she opposed him on a campus policy issue.

O'REILLY: Yes. And you know, we'll show the tape where he pushed the reporter, when the reporter asked him about copying a drawing.

Look, Dan, there's no question this is a troubled guy, this Churchill guy. There's no question he's embarrassed your alma mater, C.U. — I don't think it's going to recover in the next 10 years from this. And now they're going to pay him a half-million bucks?

CAPLIS: That would be a disaster, Bill. It would violate every principle the people of the State of Colorado hold dear, and it would be a disaster that would haunt the university for a decade, as you say.

But the university can salvage it if they do the right thing and fire the guy. They've got a mountain of evidence. And this new plagiarism allegation which has already been upheld as legitimate in Canada could be the nail in the coffin.

O'REILLY: All right. Now what are you hearing? I mean, are you hearing that the deal now is off the table, the deal to pay this guy about a half-million bucks to get out of there is off the table because of the Nova Scotia thing?

CAPLIS: Yes. You know, maybe not off the table, but, again, they were ready to pop the champagne corks within hours, but, just in the last few hours, I've been told by high-ranking sources in the university that this plagiarism evidence has thrown a monkey wrench into the deal, and there's a decent chance it will kill the deal, as it should.

O'REILLY: That's interesting. There are, according to your reporting on KHOW Radio, some sympathetic regents to Churchill, some people who want him to get a lot of money and benefits and, you know, live a good life after he leaves. Is that true?

CAPLIS: Well, Bill, it is to a certain extent. I don't think they're sympathetic to Churchill. They just want to bury this. They just want to make it go away so that all of the university's mistakes with regard to Churchill will also be buried. But that's the wrong reason to do a deal.

O'REILLY: Well, it's impossible.

CAPLIS: It would have to stand on principle.

O'REILLY: Now we're also hearing that Churchill knows a lot about some hierarchy at C.U. and he says, if you don't pay me of, I'm going to blow the whistle on you, you knew that I wasn't qualified to do X, Y and Z, you knew that this was in play, looked the other way. How about that? Can he just blow up that whole school?

CAPLIS: You know, your choice of words is interesting. I don't know about the first part of that. The second part, I think there's a decent chance some of the top administrators are fearful for their own safety because of the way this guy goes around threatening people, and we have...

O'REILLY: No, I don't think so. I don't see that. I just think this guy is full of bluster. He's gotten away with it for 20 years. I don't see him as a dangerous individual, but maybe I'm wrong. But I think he knows a lot about stuff inside the university, and they're scared to death he's going to talk about it.

CAPLIS: That may be true. I don't know the details on that, but what I do know is this campus has a history, dating back to the '70s, of violence originated by people like this, by radicals like this.

And look at the threats he's issued toward the journalism professor, toward others on campus, now this professor in Canada, and we've got him on top instructing a guy on how to carry out a terrorist attack on Wall Street.

O'REILLY: Yes. All right.

CAPLIS: So I think there are people who think he's dangerous.

O'REILLY: It's a very interesting situation, Dan, and we appreciate you helping us out.

And, of course, we will follow it for you on Monday.

Sailor in the Desert
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a post on my blog about the Churchill plagiarism issue, with a link to the press release from the Nova Scotia college making that charge.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150682,00.html

Churchill Denies He Plagiarized
Wednesday, March 16, 2005

BOULDER, Colo. — An embattled professor who set off a firestorm with an essay comparing some Sept. 11 (search) victims to a notorious Nazi denied allegations Wednesday he plagiarized another professor's work and physically threatened her.

The allegations arose during negotiations between Ward Churchill and the University of Colorado over a buyout of his contract in the wake of his controversial essay resurfacing in January.

Talks broke down Friday after the Rocky Mountain News reported that a professor at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia (search) accused Churchill of plagiarizing her work and threatening her.

Churchill flatly denied plagiarizing anyone's work and said he has sometimes made threats to sue but has never threatened anyone with violence.

"I have other things to do than sit up in the middle of the night calling people who irritate me," he told The Associated Press in an interview.

In his essay written shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Churchill called some World Trade Center victims "little Eichmanns," a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who orchestrated the Holocaust.

The essay drew little attention until earlier this year, when it resurfaced after Churchill was invited to speak at Hamilton College in upstate New York. Relatives of the dead and the governors of New York and Colorado denounced Churchill and the speech was canceled because of death threats against the professor.

Churchill, 57, a tenured professor of ethnic studies, said he would consider a buyout from the university if it could be "a template" for resolving similar disputes in the future. He said his goal was not to get rich.

"Not only was (the proposed settlement) under a half million (dollars), it was well under," he said
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: I'd pay the phony. Reply with quote

Golly, what a phony Psycho-Ward is. I'd agree to pay him to leave CU only after he had his tongue removed so we wouldn't have to listen to the idiot anymore.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is a freakin' fruitloop and he's been teaching our kids.

And by the way, how is it that so many sleazeballs like this have "charismatic" appended to their name by the adoring press?

Criminy, he hasn't washed his greasy hair in a month and he has all the finess of a baboon in mating season - that passes for "charismatic?"

I hope CU has seen the light. They have ample grounds for firing this charismatic and tenured character - let Churchill sue all he wants. The people of Colorado are sick of him and his ilk. The university system here is a great one in many respects and it will weather any storms brought on by spurious nuisance suits by disgruntled former demi-gods.

Then, if we could just get rid of the football program, we'd eliminate a whole lot more problems in one fell swoop.

Knock 'em all down - let God sort 'em out. Wink I'm rambunctious, today.

EJ
USS Endicott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing that this loon of a professor still has a job and the Harvard President gets a vote of no confidence for asking a question. Whether or not I agree with the Summers, his remarks aren't anywhere near as offensive as Churchill's, yet Churchill is still at CU.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Endicott wrote:
It's amazing that this loon of a professor still has a job and the Harvard President gets a vote of no confidence for asking a question. Whether or not I agree with the Summers, his remarks aren't anywhere near as offensive as Churchill's, yet Churchill is still at CU.

Yep - And both of these circumstances illustrate the thought process of the liberal left - going overboard with the whole 'politically correct' crap, and taking offense to politically incorrect comments only when it is offensive to man -but the country is fair game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: