SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a question re: plame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: I have a question re: plame Reply with quote

I don't understand something here, so if anyone can be of assistance, I would be thankful.

Is Plame Valerie's maiden name?

If it is, how can she have used Plame as a covert name if it is her maiden name? I mean, it doesn't make sense to me? I would think she would have had some other name, like agent 99 or Tina T. Thumb or something, Shocked if her identity was that much of importance to being undercover. Anyone know?

Thanks!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, Plame is indeed her maiden name. Rush spoke of this on his show this morning, how she donated to Gore's campaign using this name and the so called "Front Company" she was supposed to have worked for at the CIA.

Somehow, a real name just doesn't sound like undercover, to me. Now, maybe if she went by the name Jane Bond or something Wink

For having such an undercover identity, it appears everywhere we look, she was known Shocked Rolling Eyes
Tanya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lew! Like I said, it doesn't make sense to me! Octopu**y would have worked! Laughing
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanya wrote:
Thanks Lew! Like I said, it doesn't make sense to me! Octopu**y would have worked! Laughing

I like that Tanya! Very quick witted on your part! Laughing Laughing

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's Agent 99, Wilson's cover would be Maxwell Smart.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys -
She probably didn't use that name. No way. You bring up something important. I have not heard mention of the pretend ID name. Seems like that would make all the difference - 'Valerie Plame, aka Jill Thumb' or whatever, so that folks in Eastern Europe or wherever can make the connection. Without making her face public, how could it have hurt anything? They made it public in Vanity Fair..
GM Strong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
folks in Eastern Europe or wherever can make the connection. ..

When she was in Europe, the former Eastern Europe anyway, it had already collapsed from what I know. The Soviet bloc was gone. Boris and Natasha probably knew who she was anyway. maybe she was Natasha.
Tanya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Rdtf! I cannot see an agency sending out covert agent's with their real name! Maiden or not! So if Plame was not the name used for her cover, who'd care about if Plame or the Wilson name came to light? No one would have known WHO she was or where she worked! JMO.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maiden name, married name, covert name. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Who the hell cares? The way this is going, if this is the way it was played, the the CIA is more incompetant than anyone thought. Good Grief Rolling Eyes Idea Idea Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes , I hope this was fixed, because if it hasn't been then the whole organization is hopeless. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh GM - but we do care. It seems the real story here is she wasn't really 'outed' at all. And if she was, the Wilsons did it themselves. They didn't play it down - they played it up. Not very covert, huh? Rolling Eyes
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
ahhh GM - but we do care. It seems the real story here is she wasn't really 'outed' at all. And if she was, the Wilsons did it themselves. They didn't play it down - they played it up. Not very covert, huh? Rolling Eyes

Right your are RDTF. Novak's original article never mentioned anything about a covert status.

Here are two good articles in case you miss em:

Joe Wilson, unraveled:
Did he say anything that was true?

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=57825

THE MORE that is revealed about the leaking of CIA employee Valerie Plame's name, the more her husband, former ambassador Joe Wilson, is discredited.

For the past two years Wilson has suggested that the White House exposed his wife as a CIA agent in retribution for his having "debunked" President Bush's statement, made in his 2003 State of the Union address, that Iraq tried to buy uranium from Niger. Left-wing activists have trumpeted this charge until it has echoed from every mountain and hilltop in the land. Last week's revelations in the case show the charge to be entirely unfounded.

Time magazine reporter Matt Cooper's now famous e-mail exchange with Karl Rove, President Bush's top political strategist, shows that Cooper initiated the contact with Rove, not the other way around, and that Rove did not reveal Plame's name. The New York Times reported on Friday that, contrary to Wilson's spin, Rove did not contact columnist Bob Novak to divulge Plame's name. Novak called Rove, and it was Novak who told Rove that Plame recommended her husband for the Niger trip. Rove simply responded that he'd heard the same thing.

This is important because Wilson claimed to have been sent to Niger by Vice President Dick Cheney, and that his wife had nothing to do with his selection. Both claims were later proven untrue.

...cont. click above link

and this one:

Rove Rage
The poverty of our current scandal.

By Christopher Hitchens
Posted Monday, July 18, 2005, at 1:10 PM PT

http://www.slate.com/id/2122963/

<snip>

First, the most exploded figure in the entire argument is Joseph Wilson. This is for three reasons. He claimed, in his own book, that his wife had nothing to do with his brief and inconclusive visit to Niger. "Valerie had nothing to do with the matter," he wrote. "She definitely had not proposed that I make the trip." There isn't enough wiggle room in those two definitive statements to make either of them congruent with a memo written by Valerie Wilson (or Valerie Plame, if you prefer) to a deputy chief in the CIA's directorate of operations. In this memo, in her wifely way, she announced that her husband would be ideal for the mission since he had "good relations with both the Prime Minister and the former Minister of Mines (of Niger), not to mention lots of French contacts." If you want to read the original, turn to the Senate committee's published report on the many "intelligence failures" that we have suffered recently. I want to return to those, too.

Speaking to the Washington Post about the CIA's documents on the Niger connection, Wilson made the further claim that "the dates were wrong and the names were wrong." Again according to the Senate report, these papers were not in CIA hands until eight months after Wilson made his trip. He has since admitted to the same newspaper that he may have "misspoken" about this.

The third bogus element in Wilson's boastful story is the claim that Niger's "yellowcake" uranium was never a subject of any interest to Saddam Hussein's agents. The British intelligence report on this, which does not lack criticism of the Blair government, finds the Niger connection to be among the most credible of the assertions made about Saddam's double-dealing. If you care to consult the Financial Times of June 28, 2004, and see the front-page report by its national security correspondent Mark Huband, you will be able to review the evidence that Niger—with whose ministers Mr. Wilson had such "good relations"—was trying to deal in yellowcake with North Korea and Libya as well as Iraq and Iran. This evidence is by no means refuted or contradicted by a forged or faked Italian document saying the same thing. It was a useful axiom of the late I.F. Stone that few people are so foolish as to counterfeit a bankrupt currency.

<snip>

...for complete article click on link above
GM Strong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:

I agree fully, My point was a bit different. Everybody and their 'date' (DC that is) knew who they were. What in the world of the DC social circuit was unknown?? Nothing!!
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the orig Novak quote:

Quote:
Wilson never worked for the CIA, but his wife, Valerie Plame, is an Agency operative on weapons of mass destruction. Two senior administration officials told me Wilson's wife suggested sending him to Niger to investigate the Italian report. The CIA says its counter-proliferation officials selected Wilson and asked his wife to contact him. "I will not answer any question about my wife," Wilson told me.

and a link to the orig article:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/robertnovak/printrn20030714.shtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: