SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sacrosanct Heros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Sacrosanct Heros Reply with quote

Me? I'm no hero. Real ones I have met. One cried in his drink remembering the Chosen a commendation from the CNO on his wall, another marvelled he survived hiding 4 months in the Amsterdam Zoo after their Liberator was shot down so he went back to fly some more, conscripted by the Zsar one took a bullet from the Japanese and carried it uncomplaining 55 years, one thanked his stars he caught enfluenza in '18 to be held back when his division sailed for Archangel, another had one too many and pulled a rifle thinking the crop duster was a Zero. In my military service my closest brushes with glorious death were extreme sea states, retrieving (or attempting) bodies for one of which a 3 star gave thanks and "no media attention anticipated nor desired" and replacing yardarm blinkers. I got plenty of fruit salad it surprised me, for using an Irani oil platform for target practise. True, in the Navy the ship fights and we're just along for the ride ( Johnson said it was like being in prison with the option of drowning). But go figure. I never met Audie Murphy but I hear he was a tormented man mercifully dead at 43. I understand the nightmares of soldiers vary: WWI; horses screaming, WWII; artillery bombardment, 'Nam; not knowing friend or foe, me; the ship turning turtle in a typhoon.

Today I'm besieged with Kerrys, Clelands, Murrahs (sic), McCains, Inoyues et.al. claiming the inviability of their pronouncements. Whether they've valid claims to the 'bloody red shirt', 'red badge of courage' or are just spouting from the back ranks means little because they are 'heros' ( For you guys from New York a hero is some kinda crazy sandwich! -Oddball). My apologies to the Days and Johnsons. Surviving your obligation/enlistment/commission without publicly messing your pants is a good thing and gains entry to a club where the biggest offense is pretension. Circumstance and response are the true measure not self proclamaition.

Countering the pronouncements of these 'heros' I remember Joe McCarthy was a decorated veteran like everyone in those days (Even LBJ got a combat decoration). McClellan commanded the Army of the Potomac incompetently than became the Democratic nominee against Lincoln in 1864 on a platform of peace and slavery. Luckily in America the electorate is not often confused by the 'hero on a horse' like our French and German friends.

Washington remains an impossible ideal in our history. We can argue the merits of generals cum presidents: Harrison, Jackson, Grant, and (I like) Ike trading on heroism or military prowess, and thank our blessings we were saved from the MacArthurs, Clarks, Deweys and other would have beens. JFK was 'red over red' before Dallas.

Deep in our collective conciousness I believe resides a man we all know. He sacrificed his livelihood to the cause. He gave his health and a leg in multiple wounds fighting in many battles. Ticonderoga, Quebec, Lake Champlain and Saratoga rebound to his credit as maybe the best, most inspirational field commander of the Revolultion and certainly the most intrepid. Had his heroism been less great his traitordom would have been less significant. Beelzebub of the American Gospel, Benedict Arnold was driven to his apostacy by unending abuse from a venal congress. I hate to be so facile but, so much for heros and so much for congress. Screw 'em all.

-Wlm Shakespeare
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I B. I bet no one ever accuses you of 'sugar coating'. Laughing Laughing

Good rant.

Dusty
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Squidly!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: