SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To War and Back > Brokaw documentary Dec 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: To War and Back > Brokaw documentary Dec 18 Reply with quote

Tom Brokaw has been in our community for the last several months putting together this documentary of one of our local Guard companies. ( Charlie Company, more specifically their Nighthawk platoon)

From all accounts, and his local interviews, this will be a sensitive portrayal. He retraces Nighthawk's Band of Brothers from their school days, then to Iraq & back home.

This will air on NBC Sunday Dec 18, 8pm

more about it, with some clips, at
MSNBC
Quote:
In one of the first documentaries of its kind, Tom Brokaw takes a look at what happens when young men go to war, lose friends, get hurt and then come home

They were teenage buddies, a close-knit group that knew each other from the ball fields of upstate New York. They whiled away their time jamming on guitar and playing video games. And then, one day they went to war together and became the Nighthawk platoon.

and in the local paper here
Quote:
The story begins with a goodbye.

Army National Guard Pfc. Nathan Brown's eyes peer just below his soldier's helmet covering the top of his head. Brown then delivers a farewell from Iraq to his fiancee, Sara Hill, who was thousands of miles away at home awaiting his return.

"Sara, I love you and I always will," Brown said. "If I don't come back from this, you know I loved you and I care about you so much. You mean everything to me Sara."

Nate didn't make it....
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so sad. I made a note to watch this Sunday night. Thanks for letting us know Kate.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Doll,
will certainly have lots of viewers from this area,
anxious to see what all wound up in the film.
Brokaw went to dinner with the guys, shot some pool, etc, really got to know them.

He had made a comment about how very patriotic this area is -- hehee upstate NY is colored RED

>a side note about our Charlie Company and hostage Thomas Hamill
full article when Hamill came here to thank the soldiers

snips>
Quote:

May 2, 2004, a frightened Hamill, a civilian hostage for three weeks, fled from a guarded secret impound and ran toward a military convoy that included the National Guard soldiers. He yelled that he was an American, and moments later, he was in their protection, hugging and thanking them. Several soldiers then arrested two of his captors.

"Charlie Company came through for me," he said onstage, praising the soldiers for their work to restore order in Iraq. "When I ran across the field to the awaiting soldiers -- well, you have no idea what it feels like," he said.

Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to seeing this! I hope all will watch! Smile

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: