SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muslims upset because we are monitoring them for radiation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Muslims upset because we are monitoring them for radiation? Reply with quote

They claim it is a warrantless search?

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/nest/051222nest.htm

I admit its been a few years since I went to law school - but I do seem to remember that you don't need a warrant if you are staying outside of a residence or building. Little exceptions called the plain view doctrine and the plain sniff doctrine.

In other words, MSM, shut up and get a life. Same with you idiot Muslims
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What these monitoring devices do is detect high energy radiation such as Gamma in sophistcated ion chambers and other devices I may not be familiar with these days. (I had my Radiation Safety course about 15 yrs ago.) We are not talking about simple Gieger counters used for alpha detection. Gamma and X go right through walls unless lead lined or thick concrete. If these instruments detect a source they can triangulate and locate it. If any building has a source emitting enough gamma or other high energy emission to be detected, it is dangerous and deadly. The materials emitting this radiation are toxic and hazardous. If a source is strong enough, I can detect it a long way off. A warrant, my butt. If the source is detected and a point fixed, you might need to, but the radiation does not care about a warrant, it emits it's radiation 360 degrees. A team could drive their van down the street and pick up elevated readings without knowing where it is coming from. At that point they they can zero in in several ways. Random monitoring is nothing the average daily man on the street needs to be concerned with unless he's got a stash of Plutonium or U-235 at home.

Maybe somebody here has more indepth Nuclear experience and can add to this.

Second thought. Where else would you suspect a nuke being secreted?? In an AME Baptist church?? A synagogue? Day Care Center? Homeless shelter?? ETc, Etc....

Post Script: Back in the 80s, the biggest Nuclear contamination incident of the time involved a stolen X-ray machine. A Stainless Steel pod with Cesium 137 had been cut open in a scrap yard in Mexico, just across the Rio Grande. To make a long story short, monitors on the US side picked up Gamma emissions from a comtaminated P/U truck in the yard. No warrant here. Today our technology is even more sensitive. These materials can cause serious problems when not under control.

In addition, you must have a license to possess or use certain Nuclear materials. It is one highly regulated sector that is justly so.

Last edited by GM Strong on Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liberal mainstream media, or I prefer to call them Al-Jazeera clones, are useful idiots in the war on terror. Their hatred of Bush far outweights their concern of their own security.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how the threat is from Al Qaeda, a radical Islamic group and the FBI has stated they had received tips of possible activity at certain Muslim areas and that it is believed Al Qaeda has operatives, or at least sympathizers, within the country, I would hardly expect them to be watching the nearest Catholic Church. Rolling Eyes

Wasn't this similar to the same way they neutered the KKK back in the 1960s?

As the Presidents poll numbers rise, I have noticed these "bulletins" being released steadily. That and the success of the recent Iraqi election couldn't have anything to do with it, now could it?

The Defeatocrats of the left seem to have bet their hand on taking over Congress next year and their first agenda is to be the "I" word. LOL, don't they realize that even if the succeed, they would get Cheney?

I'm afraid 06 is going to be even nastier than 04 was, much more.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets propose a scenario. A van with detection equipment records Gamma emissions and other radioactive emissions of a certain energy level and frequency of a certain isotope. They locate the building where the scources is coming from. They report this and a team goes in and finds a suitcase nuke or a bomb under construction. It happens to be in the possesion of an unknown, to that point, Al-Queda sympathizer who turns out to be an illegal who got in through Mexico. He has been affiliated with a radical known to have been frequenting a certain "learning center" of Islamist Jihadis near a major city, shall we say DC. The perps are taken into custody immediately along with their nuclear materials. No warrants were issued. What will the ACLU do? What will Howard Dean and the NYT say??
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM, I'm afraid we would never know of a success of that type. The fear and panic it would cause amongst the population means the operation is kept under wraps. And there is the rub, we do not know of the success anti-terrorism units have had already or are having now but a single failure will we known by all.

PS: GM, I recall reading about the Juarez incident. Apparently Mexicans scavenging the city dump cracked open the heart of the X-ray machine and we intrigued by the beautiful purple crystals inside. They showed the crystals around to their neighbors. I forget how many got ill and died. I hope we've learned a lesson from this and dispose of such material (at least here in the USA) very very carefully.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwIIvetsdaughter wrote:
GM, I'm afraid we would never know of a success of that type. The fear and panic it would cause amongst the population means the operation is kept under wraps. And there is the rub, we do not know of the success anti-terrorism units have had already or are having now but a single failure will we known by all.

PS: GM, I recall reading about the Juarez incident. Apparently Mexicans scavenging the city dump cracked open the heart of the X-ray machine and we intrigued by the beautiful purple crystals inside. They showed the crystals around to their neighbors. I forget how many got ill and died. I hope we've learned a lesson from this and dispose of such material (at least here in the USA) very very carefully.

You are quite right. We should not know about this type of clandestine operation and this is another Security leak worthy of prosecution.

The casualties in the Juarez incident were a yard worker and his 12 yr old daughter. Several dozen were sick but recovered. The whole thing was originally detected when a truck load of rebar set off the detection scanners at Los Alamos. The instrument readings went nuts. The Cesium pellets had been melted down with the scrap steel in Mexico and made into rebar. Some table legs had also been fabricated and were headed for some NYC restaurants. Some kind of nightmare. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one opinion from National ReviewDecember 24, 2005

Quote:
MORE WARRANT-LESS WORK [Jim Robbins]
Generally speaking, can law enforcement authorities use nuclear detection devices against someone's house without a warrant? This question is at root of the latest "no warrant" controversy. Readers would do well to examine the Supreme Court case Illinois v. Caballes, decided earlier this year. The Court ruled that when a dog sniffed out drugs during a routine traffic stop, without a warrant, it did not constitute an illegal search because, in the words of Justice Stevens, "Official conduct that does not 'compromise any legitimate interest in privacy' is not a search subject to the Fourth Amendment. Jacobsen, 466 U.S., at 123. "The Court noted that "any interest in possessing contraband cannot be deemed 'legitimate,' and thus, governmental conduct that only reveals the possession of contraband 'compromises no legitimate privacy interest.' Ibid." Note that in an earlier case, Kyllo v. US, the Court ruled that thermal detection devices could not be used to surveil houses without a warrant because this would compromise privacy -- the difference being that such devices pick up licit as well as illicit activity.

In his dissent in that case, Justice Stevens pondered whether "public officials should not have to avert their senses or their equipment from detecting emissions in the public domain such as ...radioactive emissions .. which could identify hazards to the community. In my judgment, monitoring such emissions with 'sense-enhancing technology,' ... and drawing useful conclusions from such monitoring, is an entirely reasonable public service."

Clearly Caballes rather than Kyllo controls in the case of using detection equipment to pick up emissions from nuclear materials banned under 18 USC 831 since, to quote Stevens' majority opinion, such activity "reveals no information other than the location of a substance that no individual has any right to possess." And even if you want to subject this to a balancing test, I think the government would not have to argue very strongly that there is a compelling state interest in keeping nuclear weapons out of the hands of private citizens.

One more thing to add the the discussions that will be going on ad nauseam in the various media re the round of LSM leaks.

If the LSM is using the leaking of the secret programs, to take W down, this lastest one could backfire on them. (Easiest to understand by middle America.) "Oh, the President is monitoring for terrorists in this country that may have nuclear weapons?" ...and... Up go the polls.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we have been monitoring the entire United States for out of place radiation signatures for decades. The Air Force flies planes overhead 24 hour a day with equipment which can detect nuclear material.

I am not certain, but recall reading something along those lines years ago.

Bush was probably told by the Air Force a certain size dirty bomb couldn't be detected by the planes or maybe lead encased material would be undetectable.

Just glad he is taking this seriously. Crazies detonating a nuke is a major concern.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'ld like to think the Feds spent half as much monitoring gaama particles as they pay states, counties and cities to infra-red scan for cannibis.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GM Strong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will the ACLU do about this one?? Howie and Harry. How about it??
--------------------------------------------------

Italy Conducts Monitoring Ahead of Games
By NICOLE WINFIELD
Associated Press Writer

ROME - Fearing possible terrorism at the Turin Olympics, Italian authorities are conducting surveillance on "numerous" people through telephone wiretaps and other intelligence operations, an Italian security official said Tuesday.
Luigi Rinella, the Italian police's liaison with the U.S. government, said those under surveillance included suspected Islamic militants, but he stressed that anti-globalization protesters and anarchists could also make trouble during the Feb. 10-26 Games.

"Clearly at this moment, the sensibility is to groups that we call Islamic terrorist that are connected to al-Qaida," he told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Washington.

Rinella said the surveillance involved telephone wiretaps and other forms of interceptions. But he noted that such activities were also used in drug-trafficking intelligence-gathering operations, and not just anti-terrorism operations.

He refused to confirm a statement attributed to him by USA Today that at least 700 people were being monitored.

"I confirm that we monitor - that each nation investigates on numerous targets of interest - numerous," he said. "What I can't confirm is the number because we don't have numbers to give."

Earlier this month, Interior Minister Giuseppe Pisanu told parliament the Turin Olympics could be a target for terrorists, but stressed there were no "clear signals" of any imminent attacks being planned.

Pisanu cited messages posted on Web sites with links to al-Qaida that have threatened attacks against Italy because it has troops in Iraq.

He said police had devised a broad security plan for the games, providing for 9,000 police officers, a central control room connected to 21 onsite operational centers, and a central national information room connected to police and intelligence services of numerous countries.

Last month, the head of the Interior Ministry's office running Turin security, Francesco Tagliente, told reporters that foreign security agents would be barred from carrying firearms during the games - except for agents protecting VIP visitors, which would be decided on a case-by-case basis.

About 2,500 athletes, 1 million spectators and 5,000 officials are expected at the Olympics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: