SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Veterans > WWII Remembrances & Vets History Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Veterans > WWII Remembrances & Vets History Project Reply with quote

wonhyo's thread I met a World War II Vet today made me think of these important sites. If you haven't seen them, take a look, and, pass the info around.

The WWII Memorial is not just the physical memorial you can visit in DC. There is a perpetual memorial at their website, where you can submit names, called the
Quote:
World War II Registry of Remembrances
at the
National WWII Memorial
The World War II Memorial honors the 16 million who served in the armed forces of the U.S., the more than 400,000 who died, and all who supported the war effort from home. Symbolic of the defining event of the 20th Century, the memorial is a monument to the spirit, sacrifice, and commitment of the American people. The Second World War is the only 20th Century event commemorated on the National Mall’s central axis.

World War II Registry
To search the electronic World War II Registry of Americans who contributed to the war effort, or add the name of a loved one,
click here

The memory of America’s World War II generation is preserved within the physical memorial and through the World War II Registry of Remembrances, an individual listing of Americans who contributed to the war effort. Any U.S. citizen who helped win the war, whether a veteran or someone on the home front, is eligible for the Registry. Names in the Registry will be forever linked to the memorial’s bronze and granite representations of their sacrifice and achievement.

The Registry combines four distinct databases that can be searched for names of those whose service and sacrifice helped win the Second World War. The Registry includes the names of Americans who are:

Buried in American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) overseas military cemeteries.

Memorialized on ABMC Tablets of the Missing.

Listed on official War and Navy Department Killed in Service rosters now held by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

Honored by public enrollment in the Registry of Remembrances.

To search the database for other WWII veterans who have submitted their names, or add your own name and contact information, click here
I added my Dad there when the site 1st went up...easy to do

and this important site....
Quote:
Veterans History Project
at
The Library of Congress

The Veterans History Project relies on volunteers to collect and preserve stories of wartime service

Our primary focus is on first-hand accounts of
U.S. Veterans from the following 20th Century wars:

• World War I (1914-1920)
• World War II (1939-1946)
• Korean War (1950-1955)
• Vietnam War (1961-1975)
• Persian Gulf War (1990-1995)
• Afghanistan and Iraq conflicts (2001-present)

In addition, those U.S. citizen civilians who were actively involved in supporting war efforts (such as war industry workers, USO workers, flight instructors, medical volunteers, etc.) are also invited to share their valuable stories.

How did the Veterans History Project start?
The United States Congress created the Veterans History Project in 2000. The authorizing legislation (Public Law 106-380), sponsored by Representatives Ron Kind, Amo Houghton, and Steny Hoyer in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senators Max Cleland and Chuck Hagel in the U.S. Senate, received unanimous support and was signed into law by President William Jefferson Clinton on October 27, 2000.

The Veterans History Project is made possible by the generous support of the United States Congress.

Themes (partial list)
D-Day: On the Beach
D-Day Plus 1, Plus 2...
D-Day: Beyond the Beach
POWs in Germany
POWs in Japan
POWs in Korea or Vietnam
Some great stories there, I found some of interest to me re my Dad's service. I urge the Vets that read this to get their own stories there, and all to help others that may want to do so. Help to keep Veterans' stories alive through the generations that follow us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: