SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bloomberg emerging?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Bloomberg emerging? Reply with quote

Keep an eye on Mike Bloomberg...RINO King...

Quote:
Bloomberg Criticizes Faith-based Science
By JILL GARDINER - Staff Reporter of the Sun
May 26, 2006

By warning a graduating class of doctors to reject "faith-based science," Mr. Bloomberg yesterday signaled yet again that he plans to use his second term to take the national stage.

The mayor railed against letting "ideology get in the way of truth," and singled out creationism, global warming, and stem cell research as topics where science is under attack.

Mr. Bloomberg's views on these issues - and on other topics he's taken on over the last few months - barely register outside the five boroughs. But after winning re-election by a record margin, Mr. Bloomberg, a billionaire, is becoming increasingly vocal and eager to address controversial topics.

<snip>

According to a transcript of the speech, Mr. Bloomberg criticized the federal government for restricting funding for new stem cell lines, saying the dried up funding options would put the burden for research squarely on the private sector.

<snip>

Just as Vice President Gore's movie about global warming is opening, Mr. Bloomberg warned students about the growing movement to debunk the reality of climate change.

<snip>

The interim dean at Baruch College's school of public affairs, David Birdsell, said Mr. Bloomberg was clearly using his office as a bully pulpit on a national scale.

"If you look at what Bloomberg is calling attention to in this speech, it is clear that he is attacking national issues," Mr. Birdsell said.

"He certainly sounds like a person who at least during these remaining three years wants to use the mayoralty to shape a national conversation, if not a national candidacy," he said.

NY Sun - cont'd
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, he's a RINO all right. But if I remember correctly, he was formerly a Democrat - wasn't he?

Regardless, it must be tough to be a Republican in NYC, since as I understand it, the vast majority of voters there are Democrats (or worse). So, he's just pandering to Democrats who might cross over and vote for a Republican. Bad, but to me, understandable, and certainly not surprising.

What is sad to me are the comments and implication of the end of the article (from The Sun, no less):

Quote:
The interim dean at Baruch College's school of public affairs, David Birdsell, said Mr. Bloomberg was clearly using his office as a bully pulpit on a national scale.

"If you look at what Bloomberg is calling attention to in this speech, it is clear that he is attacking national issues," Mr. Birdsell said.

"He certainly sounds like a person who at least during these remaining three years wants to use the mayoralty to shape a national conversation, if not a national candidacy," he said.

Sorry if I offend anyone on this forum, but I've not met a long-time resident of NYC yet who I'd consider to be in the least bit knowledgeable about the mood and temper of the rest of the country, or whose thoughts and beliefs in any any way represent the rest of the country. So, for someone from NYC to suggest that Bloomberg's obvious political posturing impels him into the position of a serious national candidate, is just more of that unique NYC parochial arrogance (and the author and many - most? - of the readers don't even know it).
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:

So, for someone from NYC to suggest that Bloomberg's obvious political posturing impels him into the position of a serious national candidate, is just more of that unique NYC parochial arrogance (and the author and many - most? - of the readers don't even know it).

AK, I don't think the quote suggests that at all...and the author (Gardiner) says as much here...

Quote:
Mr. Bloomberg's views on these issues - and on other topics he's taken on over the last few months - barely register outside the five boroughs.

...the point being that he's making noises that suggest higher ambitions. Whether or not this translates into national political celebrity remains to be seen. What doesn't remain to be seen is that Michael Bloomberg has both the pulpit and the financial wherewithal to make it so if he so chooses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: