SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murtha is a liar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Murtha is a liar Reply with quote

Patterico has nailed Murtha's claim that he was told about Haditha by General Hagee.
Quote:

~snip~

But when I wrote the L.A. Times Readers’ Representative, she insisted that The Times’s report had been accurate, despite my having provided her with evidence to the contrary, including the Reuters story. Some suggested that Reuters might have gotten the story wrong, or overlooked an angle. So I contacted Gen. Hagee’s office directly.

I heard back yesterday from the Public Affairs Officer for the Commandant. She directly contradicted the L.A. Times’s version of the facts — but declined to criticize the article specifically. Here is her statement:

While it would not be appropriate to comment on any particular press article, I can confirm that the Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Michael Hagee, provided a progress update on the Haditha investigations to Congressional leaders, to include Rep. Murtha, on May 24, 2006.

In a follow-up phone call, she confirmed that May 24 was the first progress update Gen. Hagee gave Murtha and others. I specifically asked her whether May 24 was the first time Gen. Hagee spoke to Congressman Murtha about Haditha, and she said “yes.” So Hagee first briefed Murtha on Haditha on May 24 — a solid week after May 17, when Murtha first accused Marines of killing civilians “in cold blood.” Yet the L.A. Times specifically said that Hagee had briefed Murtha first, and Murtha “later” made his “in cold blood” accusation.

If Hagee’s office is right, then the L.A. Times May 26 article was wrong.

I can only speculate about where Murtha got his information, but according to Gen. Hagee’s Public Affairs Officer, it wasn’t from General Hagee himself (as Murtha had claimed to the Philadelphia Inquirer). Not only did Murtha make his statements before the investigation was complete, he didn’t receive his preliminary information from the top brass before accusing Marines of cold-blooded murder.

And the L.A. Times covered for him, and continues to do so — even after I have told them that Hagee’s office says otherwise.

http://patterico.com/2006/08/17/5015/hagees-office-responds/

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having Patterico on your case is not my idea of fun...one of the blogosphere's junkyard dogs. I'm looking to see if this is getting any traction. Thanks for the heads-up Shawa.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combine the LA Times' cover up for the mouth named Murtha with their outright fabrication about the Swiftvets being after him and they have a real credibility crises going on.

I don't think they care who notices. They intend to brazen their way through it. The rest of the corrupt old media will provide assistance whenever possible.
Psycmeistr
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually reported on this here nearly three weeks ago...

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psycmeistr wrote:
I actually reported on this here nearly three weeks ago...

Well, whoever got there first with the most, it appears (from reading the comments at Patterico) that the L.A. Times is standing by their story (though they are decidedly leaving some wiggle room as I read the 2 replies from their ombudsman).
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Carpro...

Quote:
corrupt old media (COM)

Operative word 'OLD', and as you said. Outright Lies and Coverup...in so many words...may I plagiarize you often, sir? Oh, and 'Lies' is so much more direct than fabrication...guess I've been in to many 'fabrication' shops. and the alphabet soup gets right to the point as well...COM, short for commies!

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: