SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old theory, new doubt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Old theory, new doubt Reply with quote

Interesting. Just how did the blowhard hotshot Specter come up with the single-bullet theory?

Quote:
Old theory, new doubt
Editorial
Friday, August 25, 2006

Scientists at the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory studying the assassination of President John F. Kennedy have done what many thought impossible -- their research suggests that the single-bullet theory is even less credible than it seems.

And by extension, it further casts doubt on the credibility of Arlen Specter, the U.S. senator who, in another career, invented the magic bullet scenario -- a tumbling, direction-changing projectile that long has defied the laws of physics and common sense.

The Pennsylvania Republicrat, who at the time was an assistant district attorney in Philadelphia, was an assistant counsel for the Warren Commission, charged by President Lyndon Johnson with investigating the crime.

Pat Grant, director of Livermore's Forensic Science Center, and metallurgist Erik Randich say that key evidence such as the crime scene bullet fragments might have been misinterpreted. They contend the so-called chemical fingerprints that supposedly identified which bullets the fragments came from are anything but conclusive. Those "chemical fingerprints" are not the equivalent to the one-of-a-kind human fingerprints; they're more like generic tire tracks.

And because of that, the scientists say there could have been one to five bullets instead of the three supposedly fired by alleged assassin Lee Harvey Oswald. Mr. Specter's lone-gunman theory is that much closer to being disproved.

Librarians always should be prepared to move "Passion for Truth," Specter's ironically titled book about finding JFK's single bullet, to where many believe it always should have been:

The fiction section.

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have any links to the Livermore study? I've seen recent analysis that completely and logically supports the single bullet theory when the positions of JFK and Connally are carefully reconstructed from photo evidence.

Not that I think that the tumbling, direction-changing senator is a saint, but this piece sounds more like a conspiracy theory blog than a newspaper.

Schadow

EDIT: OK, I found a little more in a piece in the San Jose Mercury News
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Vietnamese sailor hit by a single bullet on a Swift Boat near Qui Nhon in 1971. It hit his lower right arm and broke the bone. It continued to his upper stomach area causing a flesh wound and ended up lodged in his left thigh. Don’t tell me that bullets don’t tumble! I have always heard that full metal jacket, military style, boat-tail bullets were designed to tumble and cause more collateral damage.

I read a review in a magazine of a derringer in .45/70 caliber. At seven feet, the bullet went through the target sideways. The article said that wasn’t such a bad thing given the purpose of a derringer. The shorter the barrel, the less spin and therefore more likely the bullet will tumble. Old worn-out barrels will also cause less spin on the bullet.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LimaCharlie wrote:
I read a review in a magazine of a derringer in .45/70 caliber. At seven feet, the bullet went through the target sideways.

A .45/70 derringer? Good grief. It's a wonder the shooter (or, at least his shooting arm) didn't go sideways through the barn he was standing in front of. Confused

Schadow
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
LimaCharlie wrote:
I read a review in a magazine of a derringer in .45/70 caliber. At seven feet, the bullet went through the target sideways.

A .45/70 derringer? Good grief. It's a wonder the shooter (or, at least his shooting arm) didn't go sideways through the barn he was standing in front of. Confused

Schadow

The writer said he only shot it once. The article had a picture of the target with an elongated hole at about a 45 degree angle from verticle. American Derringer still offers it as model M14570SST in single action/single shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: