SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Need Help Reply with quote

Hello Everyone. Over the years I have seen some really solid advice come through and I need some of that. My 18 year old son feels no need to vote in any election. He feels they are all corrupt and I can't seem to get through to him. One of his co-workers/friends was on his way home...he takes a bus to the Metro Link and gets off in E. St. Louis (which is not a very good place to life and the young man was robbed by gun point and lost his money and cell phone. My sons was so upset since the kid did nothing wrong but go to work and return home. Poor Child! Of course Dustin can not understand how come they just extended the highway into 4 lanes, but refuses to do anything about cleaning up and making E. St. Louis safe for those who do live there.

I tried to tell him that the majority of the money the state gets from taxes go to the Chicagoland area and we are left with little. All the rich people live up north and just old poor folks live down here and it was your local politicians who need to do something about the crime rate.

Any other suggestion to explain to him how this is a honor to be able to cast a vote in every and all elections?

Thanks Guys and Gals....much appreciate your thoughts!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never force him to vote.

However, you might explain that Germany first voted Hitler into office by a very small number with an extremely low voter turnout and he grabbed power from there.

His choosing not to vote allows the corruption to remain as the same old power hungry politicians retain their offices. As far as I'm concerned, if someone chooses not to exercise their free vote, they have no business complaining about the government they get.

The Power of One Vote

EDIT: Snopes states the votes listed above as false. Still, maybe it can helpd rive home the importance of one vote.

It may take a while, but as he matures, I'm sure he will see casting his vote is as important as anyone elses vote, including the President.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother-in-law is in her mid-seventies and a wonderful, kind, caring, independent person. I couldn’t ask for a better mother-in-law. She has never voted in her life and has no intention of ever voting. She does not discuss politics or religion period.

I have no problem with people who do not vote and accept what they get. It is the ones who do not vote and complain the government is not doing enough to help them that concern me.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TA,
Well, at least he understands he's in 'corruption world'...sorry 'bout dat.Wink The deciding factor for him may be that voting is the only thing he'll ever do where he's got an equal chance with the President of the US! OK, the odds may sway a little in states like Illinois, but that's only 'cause the masses are made to believe the corruption will cancel their vote... Plan B, go over the ballot with him and go with him to the polls, take him out for a Burger after, and just enjoy the experience.

I feel your pain...that's the age where drifting away seems to be all the rage...glad you're still talking
g'luck
Deuce
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa, not knowing your son, I can only assume that his interests (and probably those of most in the 18-30 year old demographic) lie decidedly somewhere well outside the sphere of politics. His "defense" of the logic of his "argument" sounds like a simple variation of the 60's theme, "Don't trust anyone over 30" and, IMHO, is a rather self-serving attempt to rationalize disinterest and/or apathy.

If he doesn't buy the logic that his vote (and the vote of millions of like-minded peers) may directly impact his future (and we're talking NEAR-term here), then I doubt that anything you might offer will make any real difference.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him if he doesn't like any of the major party candidates he can vote for a minor party candidate or write in a name. Maybe if Mickey Mouse got enough votes party leaders would realize they need to find better candidates. I vote for 3rd party candidates if I don't like the Republican. Any more I only vote for Democrats I'm personally acquainted with because the donkey party seems determined to resemble its mascot
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: