SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joe Galloway: Today, Vietnam Is Different...................

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Joe Galloway: Today, Vietnam Is Different................... Reply with quote

May 4, 2005

HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam - Never mind that dateline. It will always be Saigon to me, the place where I landed 40 years ago to cover a war that would eventually consume much of my youth and much of my country's innocence before it ended in bitter, bloody chaos three decades ago.

The old familiar streets are still here, but now they're lined with chic shops and boutiques instead of the seedy bars where delicate Vietnamese women once wheedled overpriced "Saigon Teas" out of big American GIs.

The traffic is, at once, both denser and calmer as motorcycles have replaced bicycles and the man-powered cyclo taxis have been banned from the center of town. Pedestrians seem to risk death just crossing a street full of speeding motorbikes, but it's a carefully choreographed dance. There are rules for the walker: Don't run. Don't try to dodge. Just walk slowly straight ahead and let the motorbikes adjust for you.

The Vietnamese are still the hardest-working people I have ever known, hustling and bustling and chasing a buck and a living with determination. The majority of them, 60-plus percent, are under the age of 30, and for them the war is something in the history books.
Read the rest of it here
http://www.military.com/Opinions/0,,Galloway_050405,00.html
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Communists may still rule here, but business is still business, and business is good in Vietnam. The country's economy grew at a rate of 7.7 percent in 2004.

Oh, I do love his droll little way of spinning this. Rolling Eyes

Completely ignored the fact that the per capita income in South Vietnam is less than $600/year.

By contrast, the per capita income in South Korea is $14,000+

Yes, capitalism has caught on in a BIG way in South Vietnam. Rolling Eyes

Start my day with idiocy like this... God help me... it can only get better from here, hm? Wink
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he did point out that.......
Quote:
Yet in poorer rural areas such as Quang Tri province, the per capita income is still around $200
I thought that he did a fairly good job of pointing out the contrasts.
But like China, progress is slow under Communism. And Joe Galloway is no lefty admirer of communism.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Joe Galloway: Today, Vietnam Is Different............... Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:
May 4, 2005

HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam - Never mind that dateline. It will always be Saigon to me, the place where I landed 40 years ago to cover a war that would eventually consume much of my youth and much of my country's innocence before it ended in bitter, bloody chaos three decades ago.

heh...for a lot of us it coulda been written...
Never mind that dateline. It will always be Saigon to me, the place where I landed 40 years ago to cover a war that would eventually consume much of my youth, and then much of my country's innocence before it ended in bitter, bloodless chaos ... last November, when the Swifties restored some sanity and perhaps [soon would be good] an end to the left's blind acceptance of Communism!

Deuce
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was there two years ago, there was a 15 year old kid that would come out about 8pm to sell noodle soup for about 20 cents a bowl until early in the morning. This kid always had a big smile and I would salute him and he would salute me back. The last three nights I gave him tips that amounted to about $25 dollars. The hotel owner on the last night said I gave him about half his yearly earnings. Even though they live with very little wages, their spirit still is very upbeat.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:
Well, he did point out that.......
Quote:
Yet in poorer rural areas such as Quang Tri province, the per capita income is still around $200

Okay, I missed that, completely. (You eagle-eye, you. Wink )

I apologize to Mr. Galloway for accusing him of glossing over the desolation there.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to my wife on the phone a half hour ago. She is visiting her relatives in Viet Nam. She says everyone there has less than nothing. Everyone she meets needs food, clothing and anything else imaginable. Even aspirin is in short supply. The Japanese, French, Indians, Russians, Germans, Indonesians and anyone else wanting to make a buck go there to set up sweat shops and take advantage of the extremely low wages and standard of living. There is even a Nike factory outside of Vung Tau and you can bet that the workers only get the barest minimum for making sneakers that sell over here for a hundred dollars or more.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Deleted by Admin)

Mr. Reese...

The time has come for you and this forum to go our separate ways. Frankly, I find your comments to Buffalo Jack to be provocative and condescending, and they have been deleted.

While we are grateful and indebted to you and all COMBAT veterans of the Vietnam War, your public utterances inre SVPT in other forums are no secret, at least to me. Based upon those publicly expressed views and, as with this deleted post, the demonstrated contrarian nature of your politics, your participation in this forum is henceforth terminated.

Good luck to you.

Me#1
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what Doug said, but when I was there, the Vietnamese I traveled with ask me to bring and leave aspirin, soap and general medical supplies which I did because these were in rare supply and difficult to get for the general population.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:
Admin note: I have deleted Mr. Reese's parting contribution to this forum/Me#1

Well, all I know is that there were at leat 20 bottles of aspirin in my wife's baggage, because her family (and extended family) all asked for it, knowing she was going to visit. There were also countless bottles of vitamins for the children and Aleve for the older folks also. When round-eye Americans visit Viet Nam they frequent all the tourist traps and nicer areas. When Vietnamese visit their families, it is usually way out in the boonies where they may or may not even have electricity or clean water. My wife can't even get to her family's home without a long day long bus ride from Saigon to Can Tho followed by at least a one hour motor-sampan trip from Can Tho out to the family's home. My wife does get out, she visits brothers in Ho Chi Minh City, a sister in Vung Tau, nieces and nephews near Tan Son Nhut, parents outside of Can Tho, a brother at a Buddhist monastery somewhere between Ho Chi Minh City and Vung Tau, and several other relatives spread all over the Mekong Delta. They all have one thing in common, abject poverty.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, asprin in short supply? No, not quite.

Doug

Maybe it is not in short supply, but can they afford it with their meger income might be the question.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
DougReese wrote:
Admin note: I have deleted Mr. Reese's parting contribution to this forum/Me#1

Well, all I know is that there were at leat 20 bottles of aspirin in my wife's baggage, because her family (and extended family) all asked for it, knowing she was going to visit. There were also countless bottles of vitamins for the children and Aleve for the older folks also. When round-eye Americans visit Viet Nam they frequent all the tourist traps and nicer areas. When Vietnamese visit their families, it is usually way out in the boonies where they may or may not even have electricity or clean water. My wife can't even get to her family's home without a long day long bus ride from Saigon to Can Tho followed by at least a one hour motor-sampan trip from Can Tho out to the family's home. My wife does get out, she visits brothers in Ho Chi Minh City, a sister in Vung Tau, nieces and nephews near Tan Son Nhut, parents outside of Can Tho, a brother at a Buddhist monastery somewhere between Ho Chi Minh City and Vung Tau, and several other relatives spread all over the Mekong Delta. They all have one thing in common, abject poverty.

I'm curious. One of the things I remember most about Vietnam was women riding side saddle on the back of motorcycles. Do any other them still do so?
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jalexson,
I can't speak for Vietnam recently because I haven't ever been back since the 70's, but I'll bet that sidesaddle tradition is an Oriental thing, because they rode the back (or where ever) sidesaddle in China when I spent time there in the 80's and 90's. Ya gotta remember silk dresses don't work out the way jeans do. Now, with all the western wear over in the Orient, I'm guessing that practice may be going the way of the [side]saddle in the ole USA! heh, but to be honest, I'm glad you brought this thread back...those are the good memories, no?

I'm guessing you dug out some old pictures for that question, no? I've got an old 8mm reel, filmed in 1970 around Cam Ranh, Nha Trang, etc that would support your question! Gotta get that DVD'd someday soon! heh, know any YouTube Vietnam flashback sites?

Deuce
Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
When I was there two years ago, there was a 15 year old kid that would come out about 8pm to sell noodle soup for about 20 cents a bowl until early in the morning. This kid always had a big smile....

Terry,
funny you should remember that...Seems to be a favorite in the USA as well...my 30 year old son's favorite meal is pha[sp?], that noodle soup...has it all the time in Seattle, tho' not quite as cheap!

Galloway is clearly a journalist, which in this country means 'don't let the facts get in the way of a good story', but he can write, as came out in We Were Soldiers! which was footnoted almost as well as "Unfit for Command"! But I'll bet that was Hal Moore's hand at work, they were his soldiers. All in all, nice that they're still writing (sure beats the alternative, doesn't it?)

In a way, I envy you, glad you got to go back...on the other hand, dunno if I could find that much 'travel' worth the frustration in the 'you can't go back' issues that would bring!

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: