SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chevy Truck Commercial--John Mellencamp
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best value in a truck is a Ford F150 hands down.

Drive one and then drive any other truck.

I live in horse country. I see horse trailers every day, big trailers
with 10+ horses. I have NEVER seen one pulled by a Chevy.

Chevy trucks are a joke. They just reached out to their base of lunatics
with that ad. Don't even let it get to you. Just thank God you
don't own a Chevy or GMC truck and you are walking upright.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive an '88 Toyota 4 wheel dr. extra cab. 4cy. 270,000 mi. on it and getting 24 mpg on the highway and there's nowhere it won't go. When it's not on the highway hauling computers around it's dragging big logs up out of the bottom behind my house for firewood.
Not a rattle in it to boot. Also the easiest vehicle to work on I ever had. That includes Fixed or repaired daily Fords, Got a mechanic coming GMCs, Chevys, Jeeps and Dodges.
Changed the clutch on it a few months ago. 11 bolts and the tranny comes out, new clutch/pressure plate/pilot shaft bushing goes in and 2.5 hrs. later I'm driving away. By myself and no jacks needed. It's got that much ground clearance.
So far that makes 1 starter, 1 clutch, 1 air cond. compressor to this point.
For my money, I hope I never have to buy another vehicle and it's starting to look like this one will last longer than I will.
As a side note, I worked for an electric meter reading co. a few yrs. ago. They rented full size Chevy, Dodge, Fords. All I can tell you is that if anyone drives all three, nobody will ever buy another Dodge or Ford truck. The Chevy drives out that much better than either of the other two. We had 23 meter readers and we all said the same thing and fought over who got to drive the Chevys.
Can't wait for the feedback. hehe

Dusty
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only drive Chrysler/Dodge products and I prefer older to the newer German inspired crap. I'd take a K car over someof the junk they are pushing now.

Give me a good old American Muscle Car any day ofthe week.
davman
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I really miss my old "88" F-150. I could take it anywhere when I was hunting, and it never gave me a problem. I was a fool to trade it in for a newer truck.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy! But I will buy your mopar (62-73) and sell it! Wink
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thanks Dusty for that great Poem you posted.
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22830

dusty wrote:
Drive an '88 Toyota 4 wheel dr. extra cab. 4cy. 270,000 mi. on it and getting 24 mpg on the highway and there's nowhere it won't go. When it's not on the highway hauling computers around it's dragging big logs up out of the bottom behind my house for firewood.
Not a rattle in it to boot. Also the easiest vehicle to work on I ever had. That includes Fixed or repaired daily Fords, Got a mechanic coming GMCs, Chevys, Jeeps and Dodges.
Changed the clutch on it a few months ago. 11 bolts and the tranny comes out, new clutch/pressure plate/pilot shaft bushing goes in and 2.5 hrs. later I'm driving away. By myself and no jacks needed. It's got that much ground clearance.
So far that makes 1 starter, 1 clutch, 1 air cond. compressor to this point.
For my money, I hope I never have to buy another vehicle and it's starting to look like this one will last longer than I will.
As a side note, I worked for an electric meter reading co. a few yrs. ago. They rented full size Chevy, Dodge, Fords. All I can tell you is that if anyone drives all three, nobody will ever buy another Dodge or Ford truck. The Chevy drives out that much better than either of the other two. We had 23 meter readers and we all said the same thing and fought over who got to drive the Chevys.
Can't wait for the feedback. hehe

Dusty

You might just have the perfect truck. I have nothing against any other truck but as I have said I like Fords.
Its not how it drives,,,, thats for cars..
Its how it HAULS. Thats for trucks.
I just put 350 pavers in my 2001 Expedition and drove home not noticing a thing.
My Expedition had decent pickup and handling, I even passed some slow poke from PA.

Well it had 350 bricks X 6 lb = 2100 lbs or over a Ton!

Cruising with a Ton in the back? I don't think many "trucks" can do that.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to take a moment of silence for the subjects of the poem as I went to that link and read it again.
For our freedom they gave their very lives.
No greater sacrifice can one make than to give his/her life for others.
Thanks is such an inadequate word for some things in this world.

Back to trucks and hauling. Try two pallets of cinder blocks on a 16' lowboy cruising down the highway up and down E. Tx. hills at 70 mph. That's a little over 2 tons. Behind a 4 cyl. Toyota.

Or my favorite. Once when I lived in San Antonio, I was coming in with a load of steel on my 18 wheeler when the front yoke on the front drive shaft broke about 26 mi. out of town on I-10. Called my wife on the cell phone and told her to come out to get me in the pickup. By the time she had got there I had the drive shaft pulled. Grabbed one of my tie down chains off the headache rack and hooked it to the frame on the pickup and the tow hook on my Freightliner cabover. Kept the engine running in the 18 wheeler so I had my air brakes and had her tow me and the truck the 26 mi. home.
Did I forget to mention that I was loaded with steel. Gross weight of 76,000 lbs.
Little half ton pickup with a 305 engine and automatic tranny pulled it down the highway at 50 mph. Yeah, it was a chevy.
Now we're talking haulin.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a Japanese outsourced Toyota Tacoma made in the Republik of Kalifornia. Kind of strange since I am 3 hours by air from Japan and my truck comes from the USA left coast. Go figure.

Independent that leans right of center.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be off topic here.. but why in the world did he change his recording name? I remember when I first heard of him in the very early 80's.. and his recording name was John Cougar.

MJ

P.S. since he wanted to get into the politcal swings with most of the other elites, I stopped listening to his music o.O
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:

Or my favorite. Once when I lived in San Antonio, I was coming in with a load of steel on my 18 wheeler when the front yoke on the front drive shaft broke about 26 mi. out of town on I-10. Called my wife on the cell phone and told her to come out to get me in the pickup. By the time she had got there I had the drive shaft pulled. Grabbed one of my tie down chains off the headache rack and hooked it to the frame on the pickup and the tow hook on my Freightliner cabover. Kept the engine running in the 18 wheeler so I had my air brakes and had her tow me and the truck the 26 mi. home.
Did I forget to mention that I was loaded with steel. Gross weight of 76,000 lbs.
Little half ton pickup with a 305 engine and automatic tranny pulled it down the highway at 50 mph. Yeah, it was a chevy.
Now we're talking haulin.

Ok I'm giving up before someone posts a picture of an Izusu mini pickup
towing a freight train with a hundred flatbeds loaded with Ford trucks. Wink
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Honest Abe, I did that. Would I lie to a vet? Hell no. Scout's honor even. Smile

Dusty
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Honest Abe, I did that. Would I lie to a vet? Hell no. Scout's honor even. Smile

Dusty

Oh I believe you. I saw a guy pull a tractor trailer out of a snow bank with a Lincoln Navigator. Ya just got to get it moving a little and be patient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: