SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reid backs Lieberman for Homeland Security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reid backs Lieberman for Homeland Security Reply with quote

From NewsMax yesterday:

Quote:
Thursday, Nov. 9, 2006 5:18 p.m. EST

Sen. Reid Backs Lieberman for Homeland Security Chairmanship

Newly re-elected Sen. Joe Lieberman has been promised by Sen. Harry Reid – who is in line to become the next Senate Majority Leader – that he will support Lieberman’s efforts to become chairman of the powerful Homeland Security Committee.

In a private phone call on Wednesday, Nevada’s Reid told Lieberman that he would recognize Lieberman as the senior Democrat on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, which would facilitate Lieberman’s move into the post.

Lieberman was the ranking Democrat on the committee, but he lost the Democratic primary in Connecticut and ran successfully as an independent. That leaves Carl Levin of Michigan as the senior committee member elected as a Democrat.

However, Lieberman had promised – before the election – that if he won he would continue voting with the Democratic Senate Caucus. Reid is evidently seeking to reward Lieberman for his loyalty with the chairmanship. 

Reportedly, Reid told Lieberman that if an unexpected challenge is made against him for the chairman’s post, Reid will side with Lieberman.

Lieberman was first elected to the Senate in 1988, won re-election in a landslide in 1994 and won again in 2000 even as he ran for vice president.

Lieberman was chairman of then then-named Governmental Affairs Committee in 2001. It was Lieberman who first called for the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, an idea that was later embraced by the Bush administration.

Source

If that happens, I wonder who will get Lieberman's Senate seat. Lamont? Mad And, of course, that would make Levin chair of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee - yuk.

Schadow
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow, wrong interpretation. This does not suggest that newly-elected Senator Lieberman would give up being a Senator (i.e., no Lamont threat), just that as a Senator ("Independent" at that) he is being backed for Chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security Committee when the Dems take over the Senate.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
Schadow, wrong interpretation...

Yer right, of course. My bad. But why would Reid have to "back" Lieberman for the post? I thought Reid, as Majority Leader, could appoint anyone he wanted. Maybe he has to coddle Levin and promise him some other plum.

Schadow
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that, while the majority leader ostensibly doles out the various chairmanships, the seniority "pecking order" is generally accomodated and reflects an agreement of the caucus. As I recall, in return for Lieberman's pledge to caucus with the Democrats, Reid had promised Lieberman that his seniority as a Democrat would be "honored" should he emerge as the Senator-elect (I'll have to look for a cite for that).

Whether the Homeland Security Committee Chairmanship is at the top of Lieberman's "wish list" is unclear to me at this point. It will be interesting to see if what he actually solicits (we may never learn what that is) is accomodated commensurate with the seniority he has accrued.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect to Senator Lieberman, if his constituents had wanted a Democrat, they would have elected the Democrat nominee. Don't go soft on me now Joe.

Quote:
Lieberman: Call Me a Democrat
Nov 10 11:13 AM US/Eastern

Sen. Joe Lieberman, who won re-election as an independent, has a message for his Senate colleagues in the next Congress: Call me a Democrat.

The three-term Connecticut lawmaker defied party leaders when he launched his independent bid after losing to Democrat Ned Lamont in the August primary. During the campaign, he vowed to be an "independent-minded Democrat" if he were re-elected. In Tuesday's election, Lieberman won strong GOP support and given the closely divided Senate, Republicans are expected to court him.

So will he count as a Democrat or an independent who caucuses with the majority Democrats? In an e-mail message late Thursday, Lieberman spokesman Dan Gerstein said the senator will begin his new term as a Democrat.

With the Democratic takeover of the Senate, Lieberman is in line to become chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

In a post-election news conference, Lieberman said he was reassured by Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid that he would retain his seniority when the new Senate convenes.

Breitbart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: