SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'To bad Ford didn't speak out about the war before he died'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: 'To bad Ford didn't speak out about the war before he died' Reply with quote

I heard this today ...why? (actually I also heard he DID )

him not agreeing w/ Bush would have stopped Bush? I don't think so...

if he didn't agree, why am I also hearing that he told Bush (and someone else whose name I didn't catch) that he did? from what I've been hearing he disagreed with the REASON Bush gave...
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Woodward of Washington Post and Watergate fame, is running the story of Ford "strongly disagreeing" over Iraq.

Ford Disagreed With Bush About Invading Iraq

However, another 'journalist,' Thomas M. DeFrank, who also had several talks with Ford, wrote the following;

Last lunch with a legend

What I fiind funny is that all through his short Presidency, didn't the media portray Ford as just another hapless idiot in the Oval Office? And now, they misconstrue his the words to attack Bush and the War in Iraq.

Once again, they want things both ways ..... for themselves.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct Stevie. He disagreed with the administration using WMDs as the principle reason for the invasion but had said several times that Saddam needed removing.
Another case of the media trying to influence people with half truths and deceit.

Dusty
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have little respect for Gerald Ford. Nixon only appointed him as VP because the Watergate scandal was already under way and Ford agreed to give Nixon a Presidential pardon. Ford's actions did what the Founding Fathers never intended. He elevated the office of President of The United States to an office being above the law. Nixon should have been made to stand trial for what he engineered G. Gordon Liddy and his cohorts to do. No wonder Ford was not elected in his own right.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Campbell wrote:
Personally I have little respect for Gerald Ford. Nixon only appointed him as VP because the Watergate scandal was already under way and Ford agreed to give Nixon a Presidential pardon.

If you wish to continue to maintain your credibility, it will be necessary for you to prove your above statement.

Otherwise, I believe you need to clearly label your statement as your opinion, not as fact.

Awaiting your proof...
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Campbell wrote:
Nixon only appointed him as VP because the Watergate scandal was already under way and Ford agreed to give Nixon a Presidential pardon.

No deal was made for the appointment of Ford to be VP. Nothing in the historical record, or in the LSM media's memoirs etc supports that. Nixon appointed Ford - who was House Minority Leader - as VP because Ford's name was put forth as the one most likely to be approved by Congress, and it made sense. ..
Quote:
Two Democrats, House Speaker Carl Albert and Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield, were instrumental in Ford's selection, telling Nixon that of all the potential candidates, Ford would have the easiest time being confirmed.

Ford also was pushed by moderates inside the Nixon administration.
link
Quote:
There was no deal. Nixon chose Ford to replace Spiro Agnew as vice president because it was the most logical in constitutional terms. In presidential succession, the speaker of the House is next in line after the vice president. To have chosen a Democrat would've nullified the election of 1972, when the Republican presidential ticket carried 49 states. Thus, the leader elected by the Republican congressmen in districts across the nation was most fitting for the constitutional tradition. link

The controversy seems to be whether Ford - as VP - made a deal for the pardon. Ford & Haig have been quoted differently in regards to the conversation that occured. From what I've read, Haig and others were concerned with Nixon's stability and wanted him to step down, and thought of offering him the pardon as a carrot. Ford says he never assented - and why would he. What deal could be struck? The House was doing the articles of impeachment, and VP Ford was going to become POTUS one way or another. Nixon knew it, Ford knew it and Haig knew it.
Stevie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Lew - I had missed the name of the other journalist on the news...

glad I wasn't 'hearing' things! lol!

and thanks to Dusty also!

and those who posted more detailed info on Ford/Nixon and a 'no deal'.

I did think Ford did a fairly good job as potus...though I do remember

strongly (very) disagreeing w/ the pardon of Nixon and the draft dodgers...

and I think I voted (choke, choke) for Carter... UGH!

what a difference 30 yrs makes.... you'd think Ford solely was responsible
that the USA still exists!

the press would have tarred & feathered him back then if they could have... they weren't quite as nasty as they are now w/ Bush tho...

from the change in opinion of Reagan & Ford from then til their deaths,
Bush might even make SAINTHOOD when he dies.... Shocked Laughing
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The users of this forum are predominantly former military people.
Gerald Ford was our Commander in Chief; and as such is deserving of the respect due the President of the United States.
It is inappropriate to disparage ANY former POTUS.
Political discussion is one thing, but if anyone has the urge to post something disrespectful, then please show some dignity and refrain from posting until after we bury our president.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LBJ is supposed to have said of Ford "He's a nice guy but he played football without a helmet." Ford had been part of the "Ev and Jerry Show". Ev is Everett McKinley Dirksen for a minority leaders speak kinda thing. He was a senior, healthy and inoffensive Republican the Dems couldn't reject. His pardons offended different factions. The WIN button with my BA offended me. Appointing Nelson VP crossed the eyes of the conservative base.

Personally, watching Rocky flip off the press corp at his last Veep conference is a cherished moment.

I do not believe there was a deal.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: