SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yep, It's 1 9 7 1 all over again...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Yep, It's 1 9 7 1 all over again... Reply with quote

Firstly, I want to congratulate jalexson on his foresight, accuracy, and insight into the complexity of our President's successful implementation of the War on Terror and more specificly, Iraq, in his 'Open Letter to President Bush' in this thread. last month.

And to the point, our friendly statesman, Newt Gingrich has also written a message to all, but in a way that hits us squarely between the eyes, directly to the Vietnam Veteran...like jalexson, that's why I'm bringing it up here in this thread...my interests lie in the comments of my fellow 'in-country' companions.

Newt, in his letter of January 8, 2007, distributed thru HumanEvents.org, discusses 'our' new 'Senator Fulbright', Sen.Joe Biden...cough, cough.

Now, before I start, Newt is much more tactful than I'm gonna sound, 'cause I just can't stomach that guy (Biden kinda gives me the same nauseous reaction as when Kerry's name comes up).

Newt's theme, Biden has a choice to be a Sen.Fulbright or a (1946) Sen. Vandenberg (R-MI), both chairmen of Senate Foreign Relations .

Quote:
If Chairman Biden decides to do a Fulbright-like partisan series of narrowly tailored hearings, he will clearly be focused on the past, seeking to assign blame, and pursuing a series of actions which would force the Bush Administration to be on the defensive. This will maximize partisan hostility and minimize the development of effective, creative solutions to our national security challenges.

Or he could choose an alternative path.

In 1946, Michigan Sen. Arthur Vandenberg was the new Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

The Republicans had been out of power for 16 years. They thought they could win the Presidency in two years. There was every temptation to be bitterly partisan. On domestic politics they were. Republicans disliked Democrat President Harry Truman and tended to speak of him with contempt.

However, Vandenberg had seen the failure of the peace process after World War I. He had seen the power of partisan politics to cripple American standing in the world.

He had also seen thousands of young Americans sacrifice their lives in World War II. --Newt Gingrich

Newt goes on to point out the simple fact that like a Republican Senator (Vandenberg) working with a Dem. President Truman,
Quote:
Biden Has the Same Opportunity Vandenberg Had in 1946.

and offers his own bipartisan solution:
Quote:
A Bipartisan Consensus on Our Enemies and How to Defeat Them

Imagine that Sen. Biden broadens the scope of his hearings to include the scale of threats facing America.

Imagine that he focuses on asking experts what needs to be done for America to successfully address these threats.

Imagine that he consciously seeks to create a bipartisan consensus on American solutions for American national security.

The entire tone of the process and the results of the process would move us forward in a decisive way. It would lay the foundation for the next President from either party to be inheriting a bipartisan consensus on how to defend America and defeat her enemies.

Sen. Biden has a very great opportunity indeed. But he must choose to take it.

Taking an American Approach to National Security Is the Right Thing to Do

There is a profound moral reason for Chairman Biden to approach these hearings from a nonpartisan standpoint: National security is about the life and death of Americans and potentially the survival of America itself.

The threats are too real, our enemies too dangerous, and the solutions too hard for national security to be dealt with in a narrowly partisan way.

Much more detail follows, but you get the picture...it's 1971 all over again...and we know who has Biden's ear, don't we!!! look for sKerry to insert foot in mouth regularly at Biden's hearings! just a d@mn shame that Biden doesn't have a bipartisan bone in his body, now, isn't it! and this time, it counts, 'cause the enemy WILL follow the boats home! Hope I'm wrong, really I do!

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: