SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US hits Al Queda in Somalia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: US hits Al Queda in Somalia Reply with quote

I want to read a LOT more news stories like this one. Exclamation

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. gunship has conducted a strike against two suspected al Qaeda operatives in southern Somalia, but it was not known whether the mission was successful, U.S. news networks reported on Monday.

The U.S. Air Force plane, operated by the Special Operations Command, flew from its base in Djibouti to the southern tip of Somalia, where the al Qaeda suspects were believed to have fled from the capital Mogadishu, U.S. networks reported.

A Pentagon spokesman said he had no information on the reports.

The two suspected al Qaeda operatives were not named but CBS News said one was a suspect in the car bomb attacks on the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 and the other was the Islamist group's senior leader in East Africa.

The report said many bodies were seen on the ground after the attack by the AC-130 gunship, but the identities of the dead were not confirmed.

The al Qaeda suspects fled Mogadishu after Ethiopian troops invaded on December 28 and were tracked with unmanned aerial drones as they moved south, CBS said.

NBC News reported that U.S. officials said Ethiopian forces, which had conducted raids in Somalia, had gathered intelligence on three potential al Qaeda leaders believed responsible for the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Nairobi and Tanzania.

NBC reported that the airstrikes were part of an ongoing operation and that the U.S. aircraft carrier Eisenhower was moving from the North Arabian Sea toward Somalia to support the operation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070109/ts_nm/somalia_qaeda_report_dc
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must be doing something right. The Guardian hates us for it.

Fox tonight reported that B1 bombers have joined the party.

Schadow
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made My Day!!!!
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was some good news.

While searching for something else, I came across a number of references to, in all probability, SOCOM involvement on the ground in Somalia.

Quote:
The US military is exploiting the sudden downfall of Islamic extremists in Somalia to press the campaign against Al Qaeda, deploying Special Forces troops on the ground to track suspected Al Qaeda members near the Kenya border, US military and intelligence officials said yesterday. The Defense Department also has positioned several warships along the coast to try to prevent escapes by sea.

Quote:
A US military official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that US Special Forces accompanied Ethiopian troops into Somalia roughly two weeks ago.

Quote:
The official, who declined to provide details because they are secret, said that American Special Forces stationed at a former French Air Force base in nearby Djibouti have worked in close coordination with the Ethiopian military since it launched an offensive last month to roll back Islamic fighters in Somalia.

Quote:
military sources have told us U.S. special forces and C.I.A. paramilitary officers are on the ground in Somalia, helping Ethiopian and Somali federal troops pinpoint targets.

Quote:
U.S. ground forces have been active in Somalia from the start, a senior military intelligence officer confirmed. “In fact,” he said, “they were part of the first group in.”

These ground forces include CIA paramilitary officers who are based out of Galkayo, in Somalia’s semiautonomous region of Puntland, Special Operations forces, and Marine units operating out of Camp Lemonier in Djibouti.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much rather use the bombers in Iraq then send another 20,000 troops. I am not sure that is going to fix any problems nor do I think it is going to cause more terrorist.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
I would much rather use the bombers in Iraq then send another 20,000 troops. I am not sure that is going to fix any problems nor do I think it is going to cause more terrorist.

With the kind of urban fighting that's going on in Baghdad, I don't think bombers would be too effective. However, I think they could be used with great effect on IED factories and insurgent training facilities inside Iran. Such facilities are directly supporting our enemies and the President would be fully justified in taking them out.

I would not be surprised if the heavy Navy buildup in the Persian Gulf is used for that purpose.

Schadow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: