SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heard on Fox Pelosi [more] exempting from new Mimimum Wage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Heard on Fox Pelosi [more] exempting from new Mimimum Wage Reply with quote

I don't have any details and will check back here if any of you have a full story about this. Heard on Fox News just now that a company based in Nancy Pelosi's district is exempt from the new minimum wage law, as passed by the house. It is a Tuna company, associate co Dole, correction, not Dole but DelMonte, and is based in SanFrancisco. Any more info on this will be greately appreciated.

Update

The exemption is for American Simoa, DelMonte is based in San Francisco. The media, Fox reporters are getting a kick out of saying "something is fishy"

In another gotcha, Harry Reed is working hard to kill an ammendment that will reveal to the public all the pork added into bills.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this article: Why is American Samoa exempted from wage hike?

Is anybody really surprised by this?
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Try this article: Why is American Samoa exempted from wage hike?

Is anybody really surprised by this?

The only people surprised will be the Democrat voters who think their political spin is sacred. Also possibly the media will be surprised that this story made it to the main stream. Actually the article posted here is a puff piece seemingly explaining why it is necessary to exempt them. No mention of Nancy P. owning this exemption.
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm any fan of Pelosi, but the same Fox report I saw also had a response from Pelosi, indicating the same as the following story from 23 minutes ago...

Quote:
(CNSNews.com) - Republicans say she tried to. But on Friday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made it clear that the new federal minimum wage would apply to all U.S. territories, including American Samoa. This happened after Republicans accused Pelosi of doing a favor for a hometown company - the San Francisco-based Del Monte. The bill hiking the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour extended the higher minimum wage to the Northern Mariana Islands, but not to American Samoa - where StarKist tuna has a large packing plant. StarKist's parent company is Del Monte Corp. "There's something fishy going on here," said Rep. Patrick T. McHenry, North Carolina Republican. A spokeswoman for Pelosi said Wednesday that the speaker has not been lobbied in any way by StarKist or Del Monte.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USMCWayne wrote:

Quote:
(CNSNews.com) - Republicans say she tried to. But on Friday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made it clear that the new federal minimum wage would apply to all U.S. territories, including American Samoa. This happened after Republicans accused Pelosi of doing a favor for a hometown company - the San Francisco-based Del Monte. The bill hiking the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour extended the higher minimum wage to the Northern Mariana Islands, but not to American Samoa - where StarKist tuna has a large packing plant. StarKist's parent company is Del Monte Corp. "There's something fishy going on here," said Rep. Patrick T. McHenry, North Carolina Republican. A spokeswoman for Pelosi said Wednesday that the speaker has not been lobbied in any way by StarKist or Del Monte.

Does it or doesn't it apply to American Samoa??? I'm confused! Confused Confused
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelosi's response is a later addition to the inititial report. Earlier this morning, she had not yet responded.

My question is, who wrote and inserted the amendment and how did it get past her in the first place?

Since they now claim this is an opportunaistic attempt by the right to smear Democrats, maybe we could ask Tom DeLay about this?
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Pelosi's response is a later addition to the inititial report. Earlier this morning, she had not yet responded.

My question is, who wrote and inserted the amendment and how did it get past her in the first place?

Since they now claim this is an opportunaistic attempt by the right to smear Democrats, maybe we could ask Tom DeLay about this?

Good one Lew.

Dusty
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:

I don't know but that is something that needs to be answered. If it is in there then it passed the house. If it is not in there then someone lied. My guess is that it is in the bill that passed the house. Nancy can't just wave her broom stick and change it after the vote but the Senate can ammend it with the blessing from Nancy P. Stay tuned. This isn't over yet.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm all for beating up on them when appropriate, but it looks like this status has been grandfathered for some time now, to include the time when the GOP held both houses...from Powerline...

Quote:
UPDATE: Reader Bret Lee writes:

American Samoa already had one of the last remaining exceptions to the federal minimum wage in place. The minimum wage there is determined by a panel of industry leaders, and is about $3.30 an hour for most people who work in a tuna cannery. The panel has to match increases in rates from the mainland, but does not match the federal minimum wage. Starkist never had to pay workers there $5.15 an hour [as I mistakenly said in my original post].

Starkist has one of the two canneries on the island, and the Department of Labor says under 5,000 are employed between the two canneries, or about 36% of the island's workforce. About 60% of the workforce is employed in a tuna related field, like harbor workers or on ships based out of the area. Most of the rest are government employees, go figure. So it is certainly not 75% of the workforce working for Del Monte, like some papers report.

At any rate, the industry there is already falling apart to competition from Asia and problems with opening tariffs, and even at three bucks an hour is one of the highest paying jobs in the region. Needless to say, a jump up to the proposed minimum wage would be the last nail in the coffin of the tuna industry there.

I think the exception is not due to any patronage by Del Monte to Pelosi, but rather continuing a policy already in place that American Samoa does not need to match the minimum wage, since the wages there are already high for the region, and there is no way the industry there could survive a hike. I got all this from the Department of Labor website.

Powerline - cont'd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: