SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was Kerry's 1978 Honorable Discharge Altered?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essayons wrote:
Lots of good questions and input so let me add some of my own. Check out the two documents posted by rbshirley on May 20th.

http://pcf45.com/discharge.jpg Kerry’s discharge dated FEB 16 1976

http://pcf45.com/other_discharge.jpg Another officer’s discharge dated MAR 12 1974

(snip)

The one item that is redacted in the Kerry document possibly might have been something like “para - - XXXX.” I have no idea what XXXX is.

The bulk of the Kerry document is boiler plate. The date, To:, Via: and signature block information were typed into the document.

(snip)

Regards,
Dick

After looking closer and comparing this two documents, I have found two interesting items.

1. In the Kerry doc, the second line above the date line is blacked out

2. In the other officer's doc the first line above the date line is blacked out.

If the blacked out line in the other officer's doc was his ID Number, then the unblacked out line above the dateline on Kerry's doc could be his ID number or someone else's. I counted 8 numbers in the line just above the dateline on Kerry's doc. Could that be an ID Number??
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvuskong,

I know that I had posted that I would not continue to post in this thread but your above post brought something new to light regarding the Kerry document redaction.

First let me address the 8 numbers you refer to. My best read is “?1??0800” with the possibility of “?1250800.” If the Navy used the same convention as the Army for service numbers, then the first character should be an “O” but it does not look to be “O.” By 1978 the Navy should have been using SSNs, including hyphens, as the Army did on my discharge in 1972.

The redaction is what caught my eye (I was viewing the document at 500% magnification) since the redaction appeared to scale too perfectly. It was scaling like a vector graphic (no loss/distortion of its edges) created in Adobe Illustrator. Hmmm. I then put a grid over the document and ran the magnification to 1,600%. The redaction edges were still perfect (razor sharp and perfectly straight) AND they were PERFECTLY aligned with the grid.

The document itself is slightly rotated clockwise, which I already knew about, and the boiler-plate text does not line up exactly with the grid – close but not perfect.

My current conclusion: There is no doubt that the Kerry discharge document, in part, was manipulated using Adobe Illustrator in conjunction with Adobe Photoshop.

Why? I do not know but it sure would have been easier, assuming the document is the original Navy document, to scan and print it and redact the one item with a Sharpie and scan it again for posting – done.

Regards,
Dick
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I may be able to replicate the above referenced redaction in Photoshop and therefore not need to use Illustrator. Should know by tomorrow.

Should anyone need to view/manipulate the Kerry document that I use, it can be found at: http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/jkerry/hondisres.pdf

Regards,
Dick
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the numbers above the date are file numbers and Standard Subject Identification Codes (SSIC) which fit correspondence into a standard Directive category, for filing purposes.

I do not believe they have any connection to any individual, but rather to a subject. Why they would be redacted is a mystery to me... unless they might refer to a governing subject which could raise questions.

I don't know for sure. Any YNs or PNs out there?
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have found another source for fonts. It is the following below:

http://www.creamundo.com/index.php?lang=en

Part of the research on the Discharge Papers centered on Fonts in the attempts to duplicate it with the various programs mentioned in the earlier posts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: