SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anybody see an end, to the occupation?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Does anybody see an end, to the occupation? Reply with quote

OK, so a year from now, the Iraqi army is
somewhat better. So what?

Whenever I hear somethimg like,
'it's getting better',
my first reaction is that
some Rambo needs his ticket punched.

I've heard the same thing for three years.

my feeling is that the people of Iraq don't want
a 'prosperous, democratic Iraq'....
The people of Iraq, want the tribe they
belong to, to be the top dog.

Killing ten thousand 'terroists' means what?,
when there is a waiting list of a million.

Keep in mind that probably 98% of the
world's population wants Bush to fail.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can see an end to the occupation...when their fledgling democracy becomes institutionalized and a large majority of the population fully embraces it.

But I was prepared for the plausibility of at least a generational commitment a long time ago...like we were advised to expect.

One more thing. We will still have an enormous commitment of armed forces in Iraq well into the next administration, be it democrat or republican. With the belligerancy and threat of Iran escalating, when push comes to shove in terms of force commitment, that administration will, in all liklihood, be reading from a different script than the posturing taking place in advance of the '08 election...and a 180 degree turn in American resolve is but ONE Islamo-fascist outrage away.

I think we can count on them for that.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:36 am; edited 2 times in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your estimate of the world's population is a bit exaggerated.

I realize how frustrating it has become, but think of the alternative. What happens if we follow the mindset of the current Congressional majority? Of course Iraq goes into total chaos with Syria and Iran and Turkey jumping in for their ethnic groups. Al Qaeda and other loosely affiliated terrorist groups remain and set up new training camps with the luxury of all the oil revenues financing them.

Think about radical Jihadists desire to dominate the world. Think about 15 terrorist attacks against our interests, two within our own borders, since 1979. Think about how failure in Iraq will bring about failure in Afghanistan and anywhere else terrorism rears its ugly head. Think about the message being telegraphed to our enemies and even to our allies as the Democrat leaders broadcast we have already lost and there is no sense in fighting.

But, most of all, think about the small children that this war is going to be passed on to should we 'cut and run.'

Think about how we have shown the world we cannot be counted on to assist a struggling ally, as has been done before in the Bay of Pigs, Viet Nam, Lebanon, First Gulf War, Somalia and now, Iraq as well. What respect can we gain from the rest of the globe when we, the lone super power with the mightiest Military, cuts and runs every time the going gets a bit tough.

It is long past time someone stood up those radical Jihadists and saved Western Society. Unless, of course, we no longer wish to enjoy our freedoms.

Last edited by LewWaters on Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmen Lew!
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiding our heads in the sand didn't help in the past - they still came after us...over and over again. why expect them to stop now? when we scream at them how weak we are? (Murtha, Pelosi, Reid scream it)

Unfortunately, the spoiled generations are just not up to fighting for our freedom. They are too busy exercising their right to the freedoms they will be losing in the near future... I'm sure some of those far left radicals (like those 2 young college girls who have been on BOR and H and C) will make
valient attempts to SCREAM at the enemy, shove protest signs in their faces and file law suits against them. Good luck to 'em!

I did figure this thread (by topic line) meant our occupation by the far left.

They're still here. Laughing
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same occupation circumstances as in post WWII Germany. History repeats itself........................AGAIN. Simple story.

For those that don't believe in the Iraq deal, read "America Alone" to find out what may be in store for the USA if a foothold is not maintained there.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wasn't built in a day, and an Iraqi govenrment that will become an example for other middle eastern nations won't be either. Nobody should expect it to be. Hopefully, we're in this for the long haul. The fact that the totalitarian regimes in the neighborhood are taking such risks to try and stop us should tell you a lot.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Hopefully, we're in this for the long haul.

Since our enemies are in it for the long haul, we sure better be as well.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for everyone's comments.
It really bothers me that, getting the
US soldier off the street, is not Bush's top priority.

The greater Arab world will not tolerate
a cancer in one of its core countries.
As the enemy continues to mobilize,
sooner or later, enough resources will
be available for the enemy to topple
the 'constitutional gov't' in Bagdad.

Joe Biden has the only workable plan.
In a nutshell, set up three autonomous
regional sub-governments.
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasepaint wrote:
thanks for everyone's comments.
It really bothers me that, getting the
US soldier off the street, is not Bush's top priority.

The greater Arab world will not tolerate
a cancer in one of its core countries.
As the enemy continues to mobilize,
sooner or later, enough resources will
be available for the enemy to topple
the 'constitutional gov't' in Bagdad.

Joe Biden has the only workable plan.
In a nutshell, set up three autonomous
regional sub-governments.

greasepaint? you need to expound upon your reasoning. Normally, I stay away from the subject but you do appear to be baiting the forum is how I see it.

It's well known that Saudi Arabia is a sponsor of terrorist organizations, unless they've re-written their history in the past millenium which I highly doubt. Our job as I see it is to keep America free of these people, not set up seperate autonomous governments.

All three would fall flat on their faces because none of the citizens of those countries ever agrees on any one item in the first place. Anyone's welcome to correct me if I'm wrong but this is my take on this!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I don't trust in anything Biden says.

Secondly, partitioning Iraq along ethnic lines is a recipe for disaster. Not only would the fighting continue, other countries would enter. Turkey won't tolerate a separate Kurdish country from Iraq for fear it would inflame the seperatists within their own country. Sunni and Shia from other countries would also not stand for it and would join in fighting the respective groups.

Oil isn't spread across the nation and some would be left out, causing more fighting just for income.

Currently, Al Qaeda is inflaming the groups making sure to cause a civil war.

Biden's call for dividing the country is just another feel good "escape strategy."

More and more Iraqis are standing up and opposing the insurgents. Our Troops are begging for support from the American People and Congress to be allowed to finish their mission. They are not looking for a strict Military Solution to Iraq, just fighting to give the people the security to work out a solution for themselves, as other Democracies have done.

Biden and the rest just want an escape strategy to wash our hands of it with no regard of what happens afterwards, there or here.

The Senate voted for General Petraeus unanimously. The least they can do is give him the support and backing he deserves and the chance to accomplish what they sent him there for.

No matter how they package it, cut and run is still cut and run.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans who believe Iraqis support the violence don’t understand the situation. Iraqis are in the same situation as inner city black residents who fear turning in criminals, such as gang members, and don’t trust the police.

Iraqis are afraid to turn in those who use violence because of possible retaliation against them. They doubt the ability of the Americans or their own police to protect them.

The claim that Iraq’s problems require a political, social and economic solution ignores the fact that changes in these areas will not be possible if those who support violence are allowed to completely to control the situation.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasepaint,

Methinks it may be possible that you're a paid Congressional Apologist! Wink
Wonder which of the 3 Iraq entities would get the Caliphate capital of Baghdad in Biden's plan? And if the Jihad were called off tomorrow, would there still be a need for a divided Iraq? Or to speculate further, perhaps Dingy Harry has already sent a negotiated surrender to Osama, thru Obama?...is a divided Iraq in Harry's 'surrender plan'?

I think Mark Steyn sed it best in his Chicago Sun Times article today(the aside is mine, tho'):
Quote:
This week, both the House and the Senate voted for defeat in Iraq. That's to say, Congress got tired of waiting for deadbeat insurgents to get their act together and inflict devastating military humiliation on U.S. forces. (Again Congress beat them to it, as in Vietnam--D) So America's legislators have voted to mandate the certainty of defeat. They want the withdrawal of American forces to begin this October, which is a faintly surreal concept: Watching CNN International around the world, many viewers unversed in America's constitutional arrangements will have been puzzled by the spectacle of a nation giving six months' notice of surrender. But the cannier types in the presidential palaces will have drawn their own conclusions.--M.Steyn(4/29/07)

Ok, all baiting aside, to believe somehow that 98% of the free world would wish our surrender in the [declared] Jihad, and that same 98% of the free world is now ready to submit to the Caliphate and Sharia law is an extreme version of defeatism beyond all belief!

Ya just gotta wonder if Congress is thinking 'withdrawal' or simply inserting head deeply into the sand, where it's peaceful and cool (tho' abit dark for my taste)!

I feel for the Whitehouse officials who must don tinfoil hats, drink Koolaid, and sit down with an irrational, immature, looney Congress to find 'compromise'! Oughta make for some great media 30 second sound bites in the weeks ahead! Since they'll be spun on the wrong side of the Jihad, our enemy is looking forward to it as well.

Deuce
just as disgusted w/the Senate this time as I was when they cut off funds to S. Vietnam opening the gates to the killing fields
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm hardly convinced that this abominable legislation portends the abrogation of our commitment to the people of Iraq, I . am . ashamed again for my country.

Should we, however, ultimately abandon them to the chaos that will invariably ensue, I will take more than small comfort in the knowledge that Europe will move up a notch on the Islamo-fascist "to do" list.

P.S. Euroweenies...don't call us...we'll call you.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasepaint wrote:
Quote:
Killing ten thousand 'terroists' means what?,
when there is a waiting list of a million.

Well, greasepaint here's what that means. That means that as soon as we kill that million in waiting the sooner the better and the whole world will be a better place for it.
And we have established the killing field, not allowed the enemy to do it.
Makes perfect sense to me. But maybe I'm just not a very smart feller.

And in your estimation of how many people want Bush to fail I must say is a figure you have just reached out and plucked from empty air.

You fail to recognize that if Bush fails, America fails. You really want to see that?
The mess we left in Vietnam and Cambodia will be nothing compared to the slaughter that will take place if we renege on our promises to the Iraqi people. That's the same people you must have been sleeping and not noticed when they had the majority of their country walking around with blue fingers after they voted for democracy.

(Comment deleted/me#1)

Dusty

note: Ad hominem comments are inappropriate in this forum and will be deleted. Please limit your remarks to a discussion of the issue(s) raised. Thanks/me#1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: