SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is the 'surge', doing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: How is the 'surge', doing? Reply with quote

news reports I read, seem to be
anecdotal accounts of US forces chasing
the VC out of this villiage or that neighborhood,
thus pacifying it.

keep in mind, an 'oil law' has not been adopted,
likewise, a reconciliation law, and a regional election law.

there is just no end
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How is the 'surge', doing? Reply with quote

greasepaint wrote:

there is just no end

...nor is there, as of yet, another viable alternative to combat the now-entrenched scourge of Islamic jihad. The entire non-muslim world has turned a blind-eye to this pestilence for 40 years...which is about as good a time-frame as it will take to eradicate it.

You appear to be fond of bemoaning our commitment. That is your right. As of yet, however, I don't recall you offering anything as another effective alternative. Would you care to engage on that point or will hand-wringing drive-bys be the extent of your contribution here?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What too many fail to comprehend is that even if we stop fighting the Jihadists there, they have no intention of stopping their fight against us. This fight has been coming for decades and no president, regardless of party, could prevent it. The longer we keep putting it off the stronger and better organized the Jihadists become.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
This fight has been coming for decades and no president, regardless of party, could prevent it.

I'm not sure I totally agree there Lew, but finger-pointing over who should have (or could have for that matter) done what and when is pretty low on my list of productive activity right now. The 500 lb. gorilla over in the corner of the room has moved center-stage.

Of one thing I'm fairly certain...until the citizenry of this country RE-coalesce around a perception of imminent threat from Islamic jihad to their own well-being and self-interest, there will be little progress in this GWOT and the anti-Iraq defeatists will have fertile ground in which to sow their poison.

Perhaps, almost incomprehensibly, it will take yet another wake-up call on the scale of 9/11.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
news reports I read, seem to be
anecdotal accounts of US forces chasing
the VC out of this villiage or that neighborhood,
thus pacifying it.

Interesting that you talk about chasing the VC out . We're not fighting the VC.

Quote:
keep in mind, an 'oil law' has not been adopted,
likewise, a reconciliation law, and a regional election law.

there is just no end

Our troops are the ones dealing with "no end" - endless days and nights, endless heat and dirt and grit and fleas and blood, boredom and crisis, endless nasty food and separation from their families and friends, endless sabotage and attacks...

...but you whine on an internet board from the air-conditioned comfort of your living room about there not being any end.

I wonder whose script are you reading? Confused
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree with what Me#1 says, and I pull my hair trying to figure out how we can get through to people. Greasepaint, I received a long email from the son of a friend who is on his second tour in Ramadi and his email tells a totally different story than what you read in the papers. Here is just one paragraph:

Quote:
I’ll start by saying that this year is ENTIRELY different than last. We only thought we understood Arab culture, and we only thought we knew what was going on last year. Now that the security situation has changed dramatically and now that we are actually working with the Iraqis on a grand scale, a new window has been opened into the realities of the country, the province, and the people themselves. … Among the biggest difference this year is the presence, professionalism, and EFFECTIVENESS of the boys in blue. (Keep in mind that last year I think there were 4 Iraqi Policemen in all of Ramadi. They worked in a traffic circle downtown, and the only purpose they served was advance warning. When they left their post or weren’t working, we knew an IED or attack was imminent.)
This year, the policemen are the real heroes of Ramadi, in every sense of the word. (More on this later.) Below are pictures taken during a weekly meeting of Iraqi Army (IA), Iraqi Police (IP), and coalition forces. Everyone works together.

Do not rely upon the media. Read my post the other day about Iraqi Children being beheaded outside Baqubah from the report filed by Michael Yon. The media should be all over this horrific act yet they haven't bothered to go out there and see the bodies. He has an update today that is a must-read for anyone who has doubts about the surge. The Iraqis are changing their minds about us.

I read the military blogs and recommend that you do too. I believe the men who are there, not the reporters.

Badgers Forward, http://badgersforward.blogspot.com/ is a very thoughtful, careful analysis of what is happening in Iraq. Very interesting!

Read the incredible story on One Marine's View http://www.onemarinesview.com/ about the young Marine CPL who refused to be medi-vaced until his Battalion staff re-enlisted him!!

Read Michael Yon http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/baqubah-update-05-july-2007.htm

AFTER you have read these blogs and Michael Yon's online magazine, then come back and answer your own question about the surge!!! I think you'll agree with me that some good things are happening and it's about time!!

Navy Wife
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification, what I mean by no president could prevent their coming after us is that no matter who sits in the Oval Office, they decided long ago that America was their target, the Great Satan, as they call us. Finger pointing is meaningless today, it is here and we better be prepared.

Like #1 says, the gorilla is in the corner and he is coming, no matter what.

Perhaps it will take more 9/11's to wake people up that we are not dealing with reasonable people that can be reasoned with.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bothers me. is that two years ago,
I thought that by mid-2007, we would be a lot
farther along. i can't get a scope of the problem,
from individual stories of some local success.
what we need to do is unscramble an egg.
Saddam moved people around. It would help
a lot, if people moved into 'safe' ethnic
areas. Unfortumetely, that would look
a lot like ethnic cleansing.
my suggestion is to let the locals fight it out.
Get the US GI off the street. Reserve the use of
US military to prevent overthrow of the Iraqi
gov't, and protect infrasructure when possible.
We need to stop paying the enemy. When the
bad guys take over some province, let them pay for everything.
I wish Bush would stop
supplying $1.30 gasoline to the enemy.
The Iraqi people are tribal. They don't want a representaive democracy.
They want, for their
tribe to be on the winning side.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
what bothers me. is that two years ago,
I thought that by mid-2007, we would be a lot
farther along. i can't get a scope of the problem,
from individual stories of some local success.

You can’t get a scope of the “problem” by relying on heavily biased anti-war rhetoric that will not acknowledge any successes at all, either. If you really want to see this “move further along,” lobby Congress to allow our Troops to fight it, not just police it.

Quote:
what we need to do is unscramble an egg.
Saddam moved people around. It would help
a lot, if people moved into 'safe' ethnic
areas. Unfortumetely, that would look
a lot like ethnic cleansing.

Call it anything you wish, gassing of his own people was slaughter. It isn’t up to us to build the nation, but to help secure the country we liberated so they can set up their own nation, as many are struggling to do.

Quote:
my suggestion is to let the locals fight it out.
Get the US GI off the street. Reserve the use of
US military to prevent overthrow of the Iraqi
gov't, and protect infrasructure when possible.

You mean, let the country fall into arnarchy while we let our Troops stand by and just guard certain objects? Did it ever occur to you that this twist of the left’s call for withdrawal would actually place those Troops in even more danger? Did it ever occur to you that much of the so called “in-fighting” within Iraq is actually Al Qaeda insurgents playing both sides against the middle? Have you missed the Sheiks turning on Al Qaeda and joining the American Troops in fighting Al Qaeda insurgents?

Quote:
We need to stop paying the enemy. When the
bad guys take over some province, let them pay for everything.
I wish Bush would stop
supplying $1.30 gasoline to the enemy.

Documentation requested.

Quote:
The Iraqi people are tribal. They don't want a representaive democracy.
They want, for their
tribe to be on the winning side.

While this may be true of some, just as we have people in America the same, by and large Iraqis are standing up, speaking up and opposing Al Qaeda and even Al Sadr. Does it slip your notice that many Iraqis are killed in Suicide bombings outside of Police or Army recruitment offices, yet they continue to come? Could they do more? Yes. But at the same time, they hear all the calls for us to abandon them to their own and they see our decades long record of abandonment. They have been oppressed for decades as well and the thought of freedom and the cost is new, but still, they come and they fight.

I suggest you look back at our own history and read how long and how much disagreement was prevalent in forming our own constitution and system. We did not liberate ourselves from Britain alone, but had the help of France, Spain and the Netherlands. How would we, a small band of Revolutionaries who only had control of the land while the Navy of Britain controlled the seas, which supplied us, have faired had our allies of the three European nations helping us and opposing Britain at the time, decided it was too hard and left us hanging to “fight it out amongst ourselves?”

I too wonder why the left demands that Iraqis be left to their own accords to fight it out themselves, but also demand we stay in Afghanistan and go into Darfur to interfere in their own “Civil Wars.”

Like it or not, Iraq is the Central Front in the War on Terror. That isn’t me making the claim, but them. Al-Zawahiri Video Stresses Importance Of Iraq War
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

documentation requested...first thing found,
gasoline 40 to 70 cents a gallon, Dec 2005.
NYTimes

more, as I find it.

this really pisses me off.
Bush is trying to buy friends, with my money.

this one is interesting
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=13249
mentions 20 cents a gallon, after Saddam, but unknown date. also mentions Halliburton

this one, from 2004
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001949017_cheapgas06.html
30 KIA a month back then, now 100

from March 2007, a .PDF file , right side
page 11, which is page 13 of the reader.
72 cents a gallon
www.defenselink.mil/home/pdf/9010_March_2007_Final_Signed.pdf

edit/format long link> kate
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is “documentation?” Three and four year old articles from notorious leftwing biased sources?

Your first “documentation” from the New York Times is about the anger of the Iraqis at higher gas prices, tripled to cover Iraqi debt … two years ago! It also covers insurgent attacks on their oil reserves from insurgents, which raises prices.

Also mentioned is the gas price increase is also due from an agreement with the IMF (International Monetary Fund) for debts left over from Saddam’s regime.

Absolutely no mention of “Bush!”

Your second “source of documentation,” the one that “really pisses you off,” although written in 2006, is about events from 2003 to 2005. Due to the chaos that ensued after Saddam was ousted and in an effort to quell that chaotic time, the ridiculously low prices the Iraqis were used to under Saddam were kept, for a short time. Of course, I guess it would have been better to just raise all prices astronomically high right away and encourage the newly “liberated” Iraqis to fall for the Al Qaeda propaganda and join their forces against us, right? Ever hear of the “Marshall Plan” that kept Europe from falling into Communist hands after World War Two and got them back on their feet?

I seriously doubt that “your money” amounts to a minor pittance in overall costs. Of course, handing “your money” over to illegal immigrants violating the laws of “our country” is much better, right?

So, just what is it that “really pisses you off,” the fact that the administration didn’t force the then Iraqi government to shell out what it didn’t have to LOI, or is it because they cancelled contracts with Halliburton subsidiary Altanmia early? Surely the fact that insurgents, smugglers and other corrupt and criminal elements diverting and stealing short supplies of gas for Black Market operations wouldn’t affect you now, would it?

But, your original comment of “I wish Bush would stop supplying $1.30 gasoline to the enemy,” is most disturbing. If I didn’t know better, based on your subsequent comments, one might believe you consider the entire Iraqi people as “the enemy.” Otherwise, it is a real twist of logic that “Bush is supplying the enemy” by our efforts at stabilizing the country and the enemy elements have been intercepting and stealing some of those efforts for personal gain.

Here again, the article mentions they are paying much higher prices, like it or not, today.

Your third “three year-old” “source of documentation,” from the notoriously left leaning Seattle Times, echoes the rhetoric mentioned in the previous “source.” Again, would it be better to just have removed Saddam and given the country anarchy? To just allow Al Qaeda to move in right away and take over? Maybe if they allied themselves with Iran or Venezuela for oil and gas to make up their own shortcomings in refinery capabilities and damaged resources would please you?

I’m sure Hugo Chavez would like nothing more than to brag worldwide he now owns Iraq as well and will oust the US from there, while he too aligns himself with despots from Iran, North Korea and such.

Imagine, if you will, what really has been happening in war torn Iraq and the heavy opposition from the left, as the Kerry campaign sought to politicize it in 2004, repeating his efforts at bringing about failure in Viet Nam long ago. Reflect on the words of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s words to protesters in June this year, “Instead of fighting with us, which is your right to do, let’s work together.”

Simply amazing that the entire left missed the epiphany in her words.

Your pdf "source" will require a bit more study on my part, but your outrage appears to be seriously misguided.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd like to add that apparently Greasepaint has not read the blogs I pointed him to so he could see how the attitudes of the Iraqi people are changing.

Where are you Greasepaint? I'd love a response to my posting!
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy wife wrote:
And I'd like to add that apparently Greasepaint has not read the blogs I pointed him to so he could see how the attitudes of the Iraqi people are changing.

Could be he's just not interested in any progress or good news. Doesn't match his agenda.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpro, if we are going to survive as a nation, somehow we've got to find a way to make people like Greasepaint open his eyes to the truth.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys did a lot better than I at answering those silly comments. Once I saw those links, and the mention of "Halliburton" my eyes glazed over and I shook the dust off my shoes and left.

I've lost patience with these people who can't see what's happening. Whine, whine, whine about stupid little crap that is meaningless compared to what we have at stake.

If we don't win this, we die. Seems pretty freakin' simple to me.

The enemy has chosen the time and place to begin this "final jihad," but only an idiot will allow them to choose the outcome and the time and place for the finish.

I really do think you're right, Navy Wife - I think it's going to take a massive attack to wake us up. That's the saddest admission I've ever had to make about this country. We're as just plain stupid as a box of rocks.

All of us are going to have to suffer brutality and terror just because the vocal minority is managing to convince so many others that black is white and that wrong is right and that nothing is really something. Mountains out of molehills - as usual. Confused

When they're kidnapping civilians and cutting heads off right here on American soil, maybe then they'll "get it." Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: