SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U.S. Plans Alternate Route For Iraq Supplies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: U.S. Plans Alternate Route For Iraq Supplies Reply with quote

Pure idiocy!!
A traitorous act by Pelosi et al purposely creating higher risk to our troops.

Quote:
The U.S. military brings enormous quantities of food, fuel, ammunition, spare parts and vehicles into Iraq every month through the Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey. Officials said 70% of the air cargo going into Iraq passes through Turkey.

If the U.S. lost access to Turkish airspace, it likely would try to bring supplies in from Jordan or Kuwait. But neither country could step in as a viable replacement. The U.S. has no major bases in Jordan, and the highways linking Jordan and Iraq pass through several restive Sunni-dominated parts of Iraq. The U.S. ports and bases in Kuwait, meanwhile, are already stretched by supplies en route to Iraq.

• The Situation: The Pentagon plans to route supplies for Iraq through other countries, likely Jordan or Kuwait, should Turkey close airspace to the U.S.
• The Background: Relations are tense as Ankara prepares to act against Kurdish rebels in Iraq, and Congress weighs a measure accusing Turkey of genocide against Armenians after World War I.
• The Concern: The U.S. has no major bases in Jordan, and highways linking Jordan and Iraq run through restive areas. Bases in Kuwait are already stretched by supplies en route to Iraq."Loss of Turkish cooperation could cause a slight increase to delivery time for supplies and may add an increased risk of insurgent attacks on deliveries," said a spokeswoman for Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

Wall Street Journal
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A traitorous act by Pelosi et al purposely creating higher risk to our troops
bears repeating..

cnn archives
Quote:
U.S. House shelves Armenia genocide bill
Legislation sparked protests by Turkish government, citizens

<>
Hastert said Clinton had warned of "possible far-reaching negative consequences for the United States" if the House voted on the legislation.

oopps...that was in Oct 2000,
this is now, with our current President's advice being purposely & grievously ignored
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In explaining any puzzling Washington phenomenon, always choose stupidity over conspiracy, incompetence over cunning. Anything else gives them too much credit.
krauthammer

Charles argues Pelosi just wanted Armenian contributions and is clueless on foreign affairs.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/CharlesKrauthammer/2007/10/19/this_houses_moral_cleanliness?page=1

-Wlm Shakespeare
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Charles argues Pelosi just wanted Armenian contributions and is clueless on foreign affairs.

IB, I'm not sure that you're correct in your paraphrase of Krauthammer's position. He doesn't address "Armenian contributions" at all that I can see and is pretty unequivocal as to her rationale...either pure fecklessness ("...deeply unserious about foreign policy") or an "unconscious" "...sabotaging (of) the U.S. war effort"...and he'd get an argument from me as to just how "unconcious" she is of THAT particular ramification...

Great commentary...

Quote:
So why has Pelosi been so committed to bringing this resolution to the floor? (At least until a revolt within her party and the prospect of defeat caused her to waver.) Because she is deeply unserious about foreign policy. This little stunt gets added to the ledger: first, her visit to Syria, which did nothing but give legitimacy to Bashar al-Assad, who continues to be engaged in the systematic murder of pro-Western Lebanese members of parliament; then, her letter to Costa Rica's ambassador, just nine days before a national referendum, aiding and abetting opponents of a very important free-trade agreement with the United States.

Is the Armenian resolution her way of unconsciously sabotaging the U.S. war effort, after she had failed to stop it by more direct means? I leave that question to psychiatry. Instead, I fall back on Krauthammer's razor (with apologies to Occam): In explaining any puzzling Washington phenomenon, always choose stupidity over conspiracy, incompetence over cunning. Anything else gives them too much credit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: