SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNN demagoging CA fires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: CNN demagoging CA fires Reply with quote

I rarely watch CNN, but some insipid content on FNN (usually during Greta or O'Reilly [is there ANYTHING more banal than his body language segments or his torturous pop culture quizzes?]) sometimes drives me to a bit of channel surfing...as was the case recently.

There he was, boy wonder, disaster-domo and CNN anchor heir apparent Anderson Cooper, appropriate global warming angst etched into his furrowed brow, waxing oh so concernedly on the higher implications of perennially bone-dry California flora actually burning while perched above a CNN graphic touting "PLANET IN PERIL ! ! !". Like, I didn't expect it coming? Oy vay.

Little wonder at Drudge's current scoop du jour ...

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not believe it when I heard Harry Reid claim the fires were due to global warming...or the Barbara Boxer claiming they have not help because all of the National Guard are in the middle east. (She forgets it's because of the RIF not the war that the military's numbers are down). Then the idiot Lt. Gov comments were way over the side of sanity!

Do they not realize that their approval ratings are at an all time low of 11%. I can't believe that 11% of the people think they are even doing a marginal job!

I understand where the term Moonbat comes into play. Rolling Eyes
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in San Diego. I've been joking with my friends on the Right Coast that now that FEMA and Boxer have arrived the disaster will begin.

Until then, we were doing pretty well taking care of ourselves.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonder how they intend to reconcile ARSON to global warming.... Confused

as reported in the OrangeCounty Register Oct 22
Quote:
Editorial: Fires are terrible, arson is worse
Amid so much tragedy and destruction, some of it appears deliberate

picked up by Fox News
Quote:
Officials: Major California Wildfire Declared Arson
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
SAN DIEGO —
A major wildfire that has scorched thousands of acres and destroyed hundreds of homes in Southern California has been declared an arson, according to Orange County law enforcement and FBI officials said on Wednesday.

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the number of individual, geographically isolated fires, I would imagine that conspiracy to commit is hardly off the table either.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see 3 main things which are causing this to be a story.

1) People are building homes where they should not be. This is a lack of leadership issue. It was stated on BOR last night that a major fire occurs in the primary area of devastation evey 3 years, yet all these brand new homes burning to the ground?

2) Eco-terrorists using lawsuits to inhibit forest thinning and other sound forest management policies, which would make these fires more manageable.

3) Politics.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
1) People are building homes where they should not be.

Just for some perspective on this, here's some statistical data compiled by NOAA presenting the "2006 Summary of Hazardous Weather Fatalities, Injuries, and Damage Costs Listed by State". While I'm not sure that wind blown firestorms are included as part of this data (I would think it probably is or should be), the dollar cost and breadth of California's lead in this grim category is staggering.

In 2006, California led the nation with an NOAA estimate of $115 BILLION in property damage, followed in second place by NY with 1.2 billion.

edit: 2nd place corrected...I misread the table

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:11 am; edited 2 times in total
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
GenrXr wrote:
1) People are building homes where they should not be.

Just for some perspective on this, here's some statistical data compiled by NOAA presenting the "2006 Summary of Hazardous Weather Fatalities, Injuries, and Damage Costs Listed by State". While I'm not sure that wind blown firestorms are included as part of this data (I would think it probably is or should be), the dollar cost and breadth of California's lead in this grim category is staggering.

In 2006, California led the nation with an NOAA estimate of $115 BILLION in property damage, followed in second place by Texas with $2.5 billion.

That is an amazing number and personally had no idea. Must be because it is a blue state.
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically, the Santa Ana winds do more dmaage in So Cal than any other natural disaster, from blown over 18 wheelers to wild fires.....also note, the majority of fires during this period are assumed to be manmade since little or none; meaning no lighting is involved in any of the Santa Ana periods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: