SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanx Kerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Thanx Kerry Reply with quote

Oddly enough, North Vietnamese General Vo Nguyen Giap recently published his memoirs, in which he said the American media won the Vietnam war for the Vietcong. “What we still don’t understand is why you Americans stopped the bombing of Hanoi. You had us on the ropes. If you had pressed us a little harder, just for another day or two, we were ready to surrender! It was the same at the battles of TET. You defeated us! We knew it, and we thought you knew it,” he wrote. “But we were elated to notice your media was definitely helping us. They were causing more disruption in America than we could in the battlefields. We were ready to surrender. You had won!” Giap’s words are an important lesson from the past, to be sure.

http://patriotpost.us/pub/07-49_Digest-print.htm
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord...not this...again.

These so-called "Giap memoirs" are, apparently, the stuff of urban legend and they do a dis-service to the case against Kerry and to the credibility of those who continue to quote them.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1165078/posts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this paragragh should have preceded the one i posted.
guess that's what they were leading into:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has been counting on support from her man on the case, Rep. John Murtha (D-PA), when it comes to thwarting the U.S. war effort in Iraq. It was Fightin’ John, after all, who blustered recently, “We can’t win militarily.” Unfortunately for Pelosi, however, Murtha seems to have changed his tune. “I think the surge is working,” he declared last weekend, adding that it’s “a window of opportunity.” Before we give Murtha too much credit, though, he then insisted on qualifying his support with the latest Democrat talking points: “Unfortunately, the sacrifice of our troops has not been met by the Iraqi government and they have failed to capitalize on the political and diplomatic steps that the surge was designed to provide.” In other words, the Democrats have decided that the only measure of success in Iraq is Iraqi politics. It’s Whack-a-Mole, folks—the classic case of the moving target. We’re sure that if all Iraqi politicians agreed to get along beginning tomorrow, success soon would be defined in another way by American leftists.

Oddly enough, North Vietnamese General Vo Nguyen Giap recently published his memoirs, in which he said the American media won the Vietnam war for the Vietcong. “What we still don’t understand is why you Americans stopped the bombing of Hanoi. You had us on the ropes. If you had pressed us a little harder, just for another day or two, we were ready to surrender! It was the same at the battles of TET. You defeated us! We knew it, and we thought you knew it,” he wrote. “But we were elated to notice your media was definitely helping us. They were causing more disruption in America than we could in the battlefields. We were ready to surrender. You had won!” Giap’s words are an important lesson from the past, to be sure.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Good Lord...not this...again.

These so-called "Giap memoirs" are, apparently, the stuff of urban legend and they do a dis-service to the case against Kerry and to the credibility of those who continue to quote them.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1165078/posts

#1, I was fully on board with this being a urban legend until I followed your link to FreeRebulic and then followed their link to Amazon.com where these conflicting statements occur in 2 of their reviews:

Quote:
"Nor is this the book in which Gen. Giap supposedly stated that groups such at the Vietnam Veterans Against the War gave the North the resolve to carry on."

vs

Quote:
"Very useful for the insurgent in you. Especially, enlightening is where Giap said that organizations such as "Viet Nam Vets Against the War" (started by John Kerry) gave the North courage and resolve. "

So I guess I will take one for the team and spend $7 to purchase and read a book, How We Won the War , that is descirbed by numerous other reviewers as:

Quote:

"Written in Party Speak, this short volume is a lengthy read. Buried within the patriotic prose "

"There is little to no valuable insight contained within the political dogma and Party rhetoric that fills this puffed-up praise of General Giap."

"In this book, North Vietnam's head commie General, Vo Nguyen Giap, (Vo Nu-en Yap) raps a bunch of nationalistic commie rhetoric as he explains how North Vietnam reunited with South Vietnam. "

"Giap takes the opportunity simply to reinforce the stated political positions of the Vietnamese communist movement in book form in a way that's not particular original or well-written."

And

"First, this is published by an extreme left-wing anti-US military company. It is forwarded by pointless political propaganda.

However, this follows the theme of the entire book. While there is some useful strategic information in Giap's words, you have to wade through tons of Communist ideology to siphon out a few ounces of outdated information.

At best, this is a diluted companion to other more informative texts. Or for indoctrination into any pro-Communist anti-U.S. group"

Of course if some else wants to volunteer.................................. Crying or Very sad
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN, before you invest, do a google on the subject. It's an old story, fought out many times before...and it always seems to end the same way. The quote from Giap cannot be sourced.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
JN, before you invest, do a google on the subject. It's an old story, fought out many times before...and it always seems to end the same way. The quote from Giap cannot be sourced.

Believe me #1 I have googled it evertime the quote has come up. It's just that I want it to be true so much, I may just have to confirm the one reviewer is wrong just to get a good nights sleep.

More seriously, I was suprised and disappointed that the Patriotpost which is one of my favorite reads saw fit to publish it again. I may have to reconsider their credibility.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source of the quote or some paraphrased version of it is an old British documentary series on Vietnan called the "Ten Thousand Day War". It was from an interview with Giap by the film makers. The interview or parts of it were cut up and spliced in over 2 or 3 episodes. Also in this interview, Giap stated that the NVN spent several times as much money supporting the antiwar effort in the US as they did actually fighting in Vietnam. It was never part of any memoirs by Giap.
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powsmias wrote:
this paragragh should have preceded the one i posted.~~edited by me~~

Eddie? Is it ok if I cut & paste this quote & send it to Joe Galloway? He has a whole 'nother version on this one, lol.

Merry Christmas, bro!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: