SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Denver 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Denver 2008 Reply with quote

Came here in the off chance they could ReCreate '68. It ain't happening. Cuernavaca Park is the assembly ground. VVAW has a tent unattended and unvisited. Who gives a rat's a$$. The numbers for all events are underwhelming. The current speaker is putting all and sundry to sleep with his understanding of the MLK assasination.

Got to the gate for the Pepsi Center some 3 blocks away, SS snipers on the buildings above. You couldn't do this in Chicago. The man hole covers were welded and National Guard with barb wired jeeps held you 10 blocks away. Here an Obama doppleganger sauntered back and forth. Those unadmitted just hadn't found their credentialling authority and had to find where that might be. (I had easier time finding my way into Reagan's election night bash.) Two of a hundred were protestor types of the hippy genre that later tonight got busted in the 'two dozens'. Compare that with the 2000 the first day 1968.

I plan to catch more of this stuff, especially Wednesday at the Convention Center (not to be confused with the Pepsi or Invesco) but the call of hot springs may drag me away.

No sign of Kerry.

Love you guys, all.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver 2008 Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Came here in the off chance they could ReCreate '68. It ain't happening. Cuernavaca Park is the assembly ground. VVAW has a tent unattended and unvisited.

Thanks for your observations IB. I'm somewhat surprised that VVAW even bothered to show up, but I guess the need for re-affirmation of their self-perceived relevancy is still strong.

I B Squidly wrote:
No sign of Kerry.

Saw a few moments of him inside the center. Count your blessings.

Stay safe out there.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya gotta know how it must just eat-up Kerry seeing all the hoopla for BHO! Rolling Eyes
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise, surprise; Denver Post gave me a paragraph in the local section in an article about the local take on the protestors. The gist of it was "this ain't '68".

Taking an alpine hike today. Back to the fray tomorrow.

-Wlm Shakespeare
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="I B Squidly"]Surprise, surprise; Denver Post gave me a paragraph in the local section in an article about the local take on the protestors.

Taking an alpine hike today. Back to the fray tomorrow.[/quote]

Alpine hike? I think I like the hotspring idea better! Cool
PS: take along some pepperspray for the protestors..... Wink
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hot springs are scheduled for Thursday and Friday. Doing Radium and Strawberry.

-Wlm Shakespeare
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Youthful Biden Reply with quote

I saw a post on the Mark Levin Fan forum linking to a blog by a lady named "Devvy Kidd" exposing quite a bit about Joe Biden, and one item that caught my eye was a quote he made about having first gone to the Senate when he was 29. It was pointed out that a person must have attained the age of 30 to be elected to the U.S. Senate. It's a bit late now, but if true, wouldn't that have been challenged at the time....my bad, it's the People's Republic of Delaware...but at least wouldn't that have made his first term as Senator illegal and left him open for discipline or prosecution?

JOSEPH BIDEN: LIAR, CHEAT, TRAITOR

Admiral Squidly, If you have a chance to speak with the Senator or his staff, you might see if you can find out more...if he ever quits sobbing... and if you are so inclined.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a political ticket, Obama and Biden, not 30 seconds of military experience between them. There ought to be a law I tell ya..........
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Wednesday Reply with quote

Wednesday in '68 was a monstrous mad house both inside the convention hall and in the streets. Here it was almost comical. ReCreate 68 has been hilarious in its ineptitude. Their published schedules are wrong to place, time and participants. Locals and delegates wandered in search of something/anything up and down the 16th St Pedestrian Mall from the MSNBC site at Union Station at one end and the Capitol on the other. Excitement came when the Rage Against the Machine broke from their concert/rally. Politely the Denver PD warned all to keep their distance. Marvelously squads of bicycle mounted crowd controllers leap-frogged along their flanks protecting parked cars. Crash trucks, an armored car and Sheriff buses brought up the rear and ahead SWAT geared cops on running boards lead them through town into a maze of cyclone fencing. Never violent nor very loud the wasteland of enclosure exhausted the enthusiasm and they melted away. Estimated at 3000 I figure most were tourists and lost concert goers

The horse troops have been impressive. The horses have face guards and ankle pads. They're from from distant counties of Colorado and Wyoming. They're staged in allies and parks. Squads of riot troops are positioned on every block. Had there been a protest of any significance they wouldn't have stood a chance. My congrats to the Denver PD for not forcing confrontations and amiably leading protestors into vacuity.

I've had enough. The hot springs beckon.

-Wlm Shakespeare

Last edited by I B Squidly on Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a contrast...how far we have sunk from our founding...pity.

zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Kerry's ancestor, over there in the corner, adjusting his codpiece?
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

top or bottom pic? left or right side?

I'll look for a chin...
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: