SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ted Sampley 1946-2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Ted Sampley 1946-2009 Reply with quote

With regret, I learned today of the passing of Ted Sampley, distinguished Vietnam combat veteran and tenacious advocate for both veteran issues and the POW/MIA cause.

While it might be fairly stated that some of his methodologies, politics and tactics in the public sphere were polarizing to say the least, he was singularly uncompromising in his commitment to the vigorous pursuit of pro-military endeavors and truth as he saw that truth to be. Not a bad epitaph for anyone I'd say. Not bad at all.

I suppose it's best to consider the thoughts of one who was close (and many were) to take fair measure of a man's life. From the "Veterans Dispatch" website...

Quote:
It's hard to say good-bye, my friend
By Lee Raynor
(AKA C.J. Raven)
U.S. Veteran Dispatch

May 13, 2009 -- If the sun isn't shining as brightly today, or colors don't seem as vivid as before, the reason could be that the world has lost an American hero.

Ted Sampley, editor of this Web site, friend of U.S. veterans and servicemen, decorated Green Beret, Vietnam veteran, writer, father, son and helper to all who needed him, died Tuesday, May 12.

Ted was my friend for more than a decade - much less time, I realize, than many of you knew him.

He was a giant. It's not a stretch to compare him to Mount Rushmore. You just couldn't believe that he wouldn't always be around.

He lived the impossible dream. His heart and his passion were always for soldiers missing in action or held as prisoners of war. But it didn't stop there. He worked hard for Montegnards, Vietnamese who allied themselves with U.S. forces during the Vietnam War. He worked tirelessly for injured veterans of all wars, often helping pay at a Washington restaurant for dinners and drinks for military members undergoing treatment at Walter Reed Hospital.

Ted was a patriot during a time when being a patriot was unfashionable. He served bravely in Vietnam, receiving three bronze stars, the Army Commendation Medal, the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, and other recognitions. Like many others, he came home to jeers and catcalls.

Ted Sampley was not a paragon of virtue, thank God. That would have been hard to live with. He could be cantankerous, stubborn, pig-headed and just plain irritating. But he was a good man, with a heart even bigger than his enormous courage.

The world is poorer without Ted. You can't say more about a man than that.

Rest in peace, my friend. You've more than earned it.

Veterans Dispatch

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

May he rest well in God's eternal peace.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He could be cantankerous, stubborn, pig-headed and just plain irritating. But he was a good man, with a heart even bigger than his enormous courage.

Very truthful, but a man of unwaivering loyalty to America who would not compromise his principles and values.

I join you in wishing him eternal peace and offer my condolences to family and loved ones.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were born the same year.

This last stanza from Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" seems fitting to describe his endeavors.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

My sincere condolences to his family and my thanks for his service. Perhaps he will at last encounter some of those missing for whom he searched so dilligently.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
Perhaps he will at last encounter some of those missing for whom he searched so dilligently.

Oh, now that is a wonderful thought! Thank you!

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: