SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"TX Board of Ed Passes Draft Curriculum"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: "TX Board of Ed Passes Draft Curriculum" Reply with quote

B O O M !

This is large. The "culture war" has been engaged in earnest in the Lone Star State. They couldn't have chosen a more appropriate target and the "progressives" are more than aware of what it portends. They're going bonkers in the comments at a NY Times blog......

Quote:
TX Board of Ed Passes Draft Curriculum
March 12, 2010
by: Maggie Kerkman
FoxNews.com

A conservative-stacked panel of Texas Board of Education members endorsed a draft proposal of the state's social studies curriculum on Friday. The curriculum, if approved, will be used to create content for textbooks in the Lone Star State.

Conservative members had their way in the 11-4 vote, which came one day after several Democratic board members walked out, claiming the proposed standards dilute the contribution of minorities to American history and culture. The debate, which picked up again Friday morning, ended with only a single Democrat voting to support the new standards.

The draft will go on line for public comment for one month, and then the full Board of Education will meet in May for more debate and a final vote.

The proposed curriculum updates social studies standards used for courses, and by extension, textbooks that eventually may end up in classrooms across the country.

Fox News - cont'd
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on in, the water's fine!!!

Quote:

To: gscharrer@express-news.net
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 9:43 PM
Subject: Texas board endorses conservative-backed curriculum

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6910429.html
New standards in history class
Texas board endorses conservative-backed curriculum
By GARY SCHARRER
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
March 12, 2010, 7:27PM

Dear Gary Scharrer,

I read your excellent article, but I decided not to sign up to comment, so I thought I would pass this anecdote to you personally. To protect identities, I'll just say a family I know in another state finished homeschooling their son through Eighth Grade, enrolled him in a Private School for his Freshman and Sophomore years, and then elected to let him go to the local Public High School for his last two years to participate in activities for which the public high school was better equipped (for example, sports, band, drama, etc.). On the first day of History class in his Junior year in the public high school, the teacher held up a textbook and said this was the textbook they would be using. It is mediocre at best and omits much of the history that was once the standard fare. Then she held up another history textbook and said she would prefer to teach this one, but "you wouldn't be able to understand it, it's a little over your head". That textbook accurately relates the history of the United States, much like what the new Texas School Board standards textbook appears to be intended to do. The home-schooled boy smiled and had to stop himself from laughing out loud. The teacher asked him what was so funny. He replied, "The book you said is too hard is the one I studied LAST year, in private school, and it's not even as difficult as the one I used when I was homeschooled."

Home-schoolers have proven themselves equally, and more often superiorly educated, to public school students, and much of the credit goes to the quality of the textbooks they are allowed to choose. Consider that the vast majority of homeschoolers are taught by amateurs, just ordinary people who are the parents of the students and who must select and pay for all materials on top of paying property taxes to support the public schools and get no tax credit for the out-of-pocket expenditures. Public School students are taught by professional educators who have spent years obtaining degrees in Education but who are hampered by inferior curriculum, inferior textbooks, counterproductive policies, and misdirected resources in spite of enjoying a much larger budget allotted to each student and far superior facilities than the homeschoolers and the private schools. Who generally wins the National Spelling Bee, for example? It usually ends up a home-schooler against a home-schooler or a private-schooler for the championship.

I applaud the Texas State Board of Education for their courage to stand up for real standards in the face of Political Correctness and the history revisionists who have replaced the "gold nuggets" of our rich heritage and history with "fool's gold".

Bruce Obermeyer
formerly of Denton
(I graduated from North Texas in 1969 with a degree in Physics when "Mean" Joe Green was putting us on the map in the sports world.)
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is a trend that I like! Maybe there's hope for our educational system yet. I can't recall a time when the libs were as exposed for their far out core beliefs any more than they are right now. What's more, the majority of people are not liking what they see. How to make folks pay more attention to what is happening to their country and their very lives is a solution that we need to be looking for.

"Little drops of water, and little grains of sand, help to build a mighty ocean, and a mighty land". Every vote counts!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from just one elementary school web page (K-5) in New Jersey. I believe it's indicative of just how far down the road to propagandizing and proselytising for the "new world" religion our education establishment has traveled...

Quote:
Studying the world provides our students with opportunities to reflect on cultural diversity, the global economy, politics, and many other real life issues. Global education at ***** School is a meaningful way to excite children about learning and to teach the necessary skills they will need as tomorrow's citizens, leaders, peacemakers, and protectors of our resources.

The Global Economy? Politics? Real Life Issues? Protectors of our resources? Grades K-5? Does reading, writing and arithmetic get squeezed in anywhere there?

Those are all social perspectives/values that are the domain of the family/parents.

I believe there's another word for "exciting" children in this fashion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: