SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murtha Gets a US Warship???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone upset that the Department of the Navy is planning to name the 10th San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock after MURTHA? Apparently the more vile a politician, the better chance of having a ship named after you these days.

Quote:
Navy to name LPD 26 for Rep. John Murtha
By Philip Ewing - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Apr 15, 2010 21:47:55 EDT

The Navy’s 10th San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock will be named for Rep. John Murtha, the long-serving Pennsylvania Democrat who chaired the powerful House appropriations defense subcommittee before he died in February.

According to a Navy memorandum obtained by Navy Times, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus notified Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead that he had selected “John P. Murtha” for the previously unnamed LPD 26. It’s the latest example of the Navy breaking a convention for naming its warships; the previous ships in the San Antonio class have been named for American cities.

Capt. Beci Brenton, a spokeswoman for Mabus, who is traveling on the West Coast, said she had no comment on the memo.

The choice of Murtha as the namesake for an LPD appeared to reflect both his support in Congress for more of the gators and his service in the Marine Corps, which included time in Vietnam. San Antonio-class ships can carry about 700 Marines, their equipment and vehicles.

But Murtha might also prove to be a controversial pick: He was accused of ethics violations several times over the course of his career and he caused outrage among Marines in 2005 when he accused troops of 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines, of “killing innocent people” in a shooting in Haditha, Iraq.

The John P. Murtha is not just the latest Navy warship to break with its class naming convention, it’s also the latest amphibious ship to do so. In 2008, Mabus’ predecessor, Donald Winter, named the amphibious assault ship LHA 6 the “America,” bucking the tradition of naming big-deck gators for Marine battles, such as “Makin Island” and “Bataan.”

Mabus’ decision does keep with a Navy tradition of naming warships for friendly politicians. The fast attack submarines Glenard P. Lipscomb and John Warner, the ballistic missile sub Henry M. Jackson, and the carriers Carl Vinson and John C. Stennis all were named for political friends of the Navy in their eras. Like Murtha, some of those figures were controversial — Georgia Rep. Carl Vinson, and Mississippi Sen. John Stennis, both Democrats, supported racial segregation in the South, opposed civil rights legislation and signed the 1956 “Southern Manifesto.”

Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot, I didn't want this to be lost in the other Murtha topic, so I split it off - hope you don't mind.

I can't believe that my beloved NAVY is planning something this vile - this completely repugnant.

What next, The USS Benedict Freakin' Arnold? Evil or Very Mad God help me, I'm so mad.

Is there anyone sane left anywhere in Washington???? Anyone???? Because out here in the trenches, it looks like the loonies have taken over not only the asylum, but the whole crazy world. And hardly anyone even blinks at the latest insanity, any more.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Navy, I thought about making it a separate topic, but I'm glad you moved it from where it was buried. Don't forget, they gave Murtha an award last year (I think it was last year, can't recall the details), and it got a lot of angry feedback, too. It is in keeping with the cabal running the entire government these days. Makes us all sick.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coming one day,
to the US Navy...

CVN-xx John F Kerry
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Murtha ship is to be named after him, the USS Corrupt?
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I did not like Murtha these past few years either. Didn't ever hear of him until he made the news talking against the military.

Having said that, the exception here is.. He served our country when he was younger and perhaps more grounded in truth and honor. I can't judge that part, but he did serve. To me, in those days, before he was corrupted by politics and power, he was a hero.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio Voter, Benedict Arnold was also a wounded, decorated military veteran. Lee Harvey Oswald and Timothy McVeigh were also military veterans. Would you support naming a U.S. Naval ship after any of THEM and forcing U.S. military men and women to serve on a ship named after a TRAITOR? The body of Murtha's public contributions comes out to be a negative, especially for the military. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of more deserving people to have a ship named after them than a despicable America-hating, military-loathing, military-slandering bum like Murtha. He went to his death refusing to apologize to the honorable Marines whose lives he destroyed, even after they had all been cleared. May he enjoy the same peace these fine Marines have enjoyed since he back-stabbed them...in HELL.

...apologies for the rant, but the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and I have lost a lot of military comrades to the bad decisions
and lack of support and outright betrayal of corrupt politicians, and naming a Navy ship after one hits a nerve.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
Ohio Voter, Benedict Arnold was also a wounded, decorated military veteran. Lee Harvey Oswald and Timothy McVeigh were also military veterans. Would you support naming a U.S. Naval ship after any of THEM and forcing U.S. military men and women to serve on a ship named after a TRAITOR? The body of Murtha's public contributions comes out to be a negative, especially for the military. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of more deserving people to have a ship named after them than a despicable America-hating, military-loathing, military-slandering bum like Murtha. He went to his death refusing to apologize to the honorable Marines whose lives he destroyed, even after they had all been cleared. May he enjoy the same peace these fine Marines have enjoyed since he back-stabbed them...in HELL.

...apologies for the rant, but the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and I have lost a lot of military comrades to the bad decisions
and lack of support and outright betrayal of corrupt politicians, and naming a Navy ship after one hits a nerve.

AMEN!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
and forcing U.S. military men and women to serve on a ship named after a TRAITOR?

And to me, this seems the most galling aspect.

Lots of people get honors they don't deserve. Attempts to rehabilitate reputations and make over legacies that are less than honorable happen all the time.

But, as a sailor or Marine, having to serve on a ship named for someone who has so often outright betrayed our military and its members - that is a terrible injustice.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadenfreude....
Quote:
May 4, 2010
Democrats Lose Murtha War Chest to Charity

Politico (from link on Real Clear Politics website)

John Murtha’s war chest has slipped through the hands of House Democrats — headed instead for a namesake foundation established by his wife.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: