SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scuttle the USS Murtha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Scuttle the USS Murtha Reply with quote

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/scuttle-uss-murtha

I called my Congressman who happens to be a Pelosi Lapdog. Jim Himes, so I am not expecting any help there.

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Scuttle the USS Murtha Reply with quote

Leeman wrote:
http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/scuttle-uss-murtha

I called my Congressman who happens to be a Pelosi Lapdog. Jim Himes, so I am not expecting any help there.

"A Pelosi lapdog", now there's a boost to his manhood! Laughing
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a great political cartoon the other day. It showed Obama and Pelosi talking and watching several "puppies" with the faces of so-called "Blue Dog" Democrats and "Blue Dog" printed on their backs jumping up and down on newspaper, like you would house-break puppies. Obama was saying, "So, when do you plan to NEUTER them?"
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: All Hands On Deck...again Reply with quote

The USS John Murtha? How about the USS Robert Miller? - The Daily Caller
By Caroline May - The Daily Caller | Published: 11:46 AM 01/15/2011 | Updated: 3:17 PM 01/15/2011

Former sailors, soldiers and Marines are expressing outrage at the Navy Secretary's decision to name a naval warship after recently deceased Rep. John Murtha.....

“While some????????????? — how about millions — have questioned his devotion to the troops, others point to Murtha’s own service in Vietnam, where he won two purple hearts and a bronze star, as a good reason for the honor.”

Well if that’s all that qualifies him, on Monday I’ll be attending the funeral of a close friend and fellow Vietnam veteran who is a descendant of Admiral Horatio Nelson, played football at the University of Oklahoma under Bud Wilkinson, served five tours in Vietnam from 1967 through 1973 in several different aircraft, participated in an Air Force – Navy pilot exchange program in which he flew off of aircraft carriers even though he was an Air Force pilot, and led cells of B-52s on raids on Hanoi and Haiphong during Linebacker II in December 1972. Combat hours and Medals? Well, just to list a few,

Total combat time 2100 hrs F-100, B-52F&D, OV-10

6 DFCs

42 Air medals

Viet Nam Gallantly Cross with Palm

Meritorious Service Medal

Legion of Merit Medal

Etc., etc. (too many others to remember)

…and they want to name a U.S. Navy ship after MURTHA? Puke.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father would often tell the story of the only combat he encountered while serving in the US navy during the Vietnam War.

He was on the USS Galveston off the coast of Vietnam, exact location, I do not remember.

While on deck, he and some others heard a pinging noise every so often. The deck hands were trying to figure out what it was when someone said from the rail of the ship "enemy VC to port".

Everyone on deck went to the rail and started laughing after they saw 2 men in a canoe-like craft firing small arms at the ship’s hull.

What happened next is symbolic of stories we rarely hear, especially from the Vietnam era.

The officer on deck called for cannon fire 20' from the canoe-like crafts stern. The Vietnamese men were on the bow of the canoe, causing it to be heavy. When the canon fired a big wave came and sank them.

All had a laugh and went back to duty as two men swam back to shore, one trying desperately to hold onto his firearm.

My father passed away a couple of years ago and my mother gave all of us USS Galveston caps after his passing. He served on the Ticonderoga as well, but his favorite ship was the Galveston.

In the future, would mothers be so proud to give their children the caps of ships named after less honorable people or things?

When naming ships after people, they should warrant great respect and admiration. Anything less is not honorable to the people who serve those vessels.

John Murtha had great disdain for the military he was a member of. For whatever political or personal reason he chose to do so, it fails to qualify for the honor of a boat being named after him.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father-in-law quit high school, joined the navy (lied about his age to get in), and served on the destroyer USS Putnam (DD 757) in the Pacific until the end of World War II. Similar story, he attended one or two "reunions" prior to his death, and we proudly display his cap he got from one of those reunions alongside his medals and the flag the honor guard presented to my mother-in-law at his funeral.

My wife attended one of the reunions where crewmembers of a sister destroyer that had been sunk attended. My father-in-law, around age 17, was one of the volunteers who dived into the burning oil covered water and pulled many of the survivors to safety during an enemy action. One of the men he had personally saved was there, and it was a very emotional reunion.

I can't imagine having to endure the disgrace of wearing a cap with Murtha's name on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: