SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam veterans' tribute to include complete picture of era

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Vietnam veterans' tribute to include complete picture of era Reply with quote

In what I take to have begun as way to show honor to Viet Nam Veterans in Fayetteville, NC has taken on a sour note.

From the Jan 20, 2011 Fayetteville Observer

Quote:
With the patriotic soldier and family in mind, planned activities include a Vietnam Wall traveling memorial, a wreath-laying ceremony, tributes to local Vietnam veterans and the nurses who served, and the rededication of a Vietnam War Memorial on Fort Bragg.

But as envisioned by [Fayetteville Mayor Tony] Chavonne and other organizers, the homecoming also will include perspectives from native Vietnamese, homeless Vietnam veterans and anti-war protesters.

"We're part of that story," said Chuck Fager, director of the Quaker House.

The organization is a military counseling center supported mostly by pacifists and peace activists. It has survived in this conservative military town for 41 years.

The day before the meeting, Fager said he was appreciative that Chavonne had extended an invitation to the Quaker House to be a part of the celebration. But Fager said he was in favor of being part of "a full-fledged conversation of the Vietnam War."

"Somebody has got to say, we did lose that war," he said Tuesday. "Whatever you think about it, that was a time of great upheaval in the country and at Fort Bragg. I've read that it was one of the darkest periods in history for the military - Vietnam and its aftermath. I know a lot of people don't like to be reminded about it. I don't know how we can be involved without telling those things."

During the meeting Wednesday, Fager presented a list of potential programs including discussions, educational presentations and a series of films that give a different viewpoint of Vietnam.

Two of the proposed films, the anti-war "Coming Home" and "FTA," feature actress Jane Fonda.

See also Vets angry at anti-war group in N.C. celebration

If you wish to express your "support" to Mayor Chavonne, his email is mayor@ci.fay.nc.us

Last edited by LewWaters on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Somebody has got to say, we did lose that war," he said Tuesday.

WE? You mean your group?.... well finally, the scum that pressured the politicians to give away OUR victory are finally confessing.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
WE? You mean your group?.... well finally, the scum that pressured the politicians to give away OUR victory are finally confessing.

Exactly right.

They should build a separate hall of shame just for them.

Monumental ignorance deserves monumental recognition.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hizzoner the mayor sez that it's not true... one of our members received a reply from the mayor's office:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me and for sharing your support of our nation’s Vietnam Veterans. I apologize for any of the misinformation and confusion arising from our Heroes Homecoming plans. I can assure you that our events will focus 100% on the Veterans and honoring their tremendous service to our country. Let me be clear that we will not have any sanctioned events that include movies with Jane Fonda.

I encourage you to visit our web site at www.heroeshomecoming.com to see the real story about the exciting events we have planned for our true American Heroes.

Respectfully,

Mayor Tony Chavonne

It seems to me that any misinformation or confusion about the plans lead directly back to his own initial statements about this project and his invitation to anti-war organizations who want to show films that were (and still are) disgracefully anti-American and anti-truth.

But, maybe that's just me. Wink
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he was introduced to the old proverb, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy"...and a lot of angry "Mamas"...maybe even his own... probably expressed their displeasure.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I did not receive an actual reply from the mayor, a reply left to a comment I made about this on another forum claims it was fabricated by a reporter.

I have a difficult time such a fabrication and no retraction published or notice of termination of the reporter.

Quote:
Patriotmeroski: Sir, please check out HeroesHomecoming.com. This will give you a true picture of what is taking place then judge for yourself.

Lewwaters: Perhaps it would be better to have Mayor Chavonne consider the outrage his decision to rub our noses into the anti-war ilk again has caused.

While I believe the original intent was to honor Veterans, your mayor may have tainted that beyond repair.

That is who should be told to "find the true picture," not me.

Patriotmeroski: Sir, I guess I chose the wrong words. The event never had anything to do with Fonda or events tied to it. A local reporter fabricated a story! From there it spread and we are just encouraging folks to look at this site to see that there are not any events like that in this Homecoming.

Hizzoner also placed his reply on video on YouTube
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the original story linked at the top of the opening post in this thread:

Fayetteville Observer wrote:
Fayetteville's 10-day tribute to Vietnam veterans this fall should portray a complete picture of the era and its impact on the city - including opposition to the war, the mayor says.

The anti-war rallies on Fort Bragg's doorstep remain a difficult memory for many Vietnam veterans. But organizers of the city's first Heroes Homecoming in November want to include all the chapters in the nation's history from that time.

"It is an important part of the story we're trying to tell," Mayor Tony Chavonne said.

So, did he say those things, or not?

Were these quotes fabricated or taken out of context? Heaven knows our press is not above either.

Or did someone discover that he'd shot himself in the foot?

Here's the original press conference regarding this big ten-day event - apparently the regional theater is planning to put on a production of Miss Saigon during this celebration of Vietnam vets. (Oh yeah, now there's a play that shows the best of the American soldier) Confused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBoYymv477M
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Gore was a photographer from what I hear, and we all know about John Kerry's "Action 8 Mike Mike" adventures, so maybe they can provide some exciting video footage. I'll offer this wealth of radio broadcasts, courtesy of Armed Forces Vietnam Radio (AFVN)...enjoy the free sampler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: