SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Murtha Ship!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: No Murtha Ship! Reply with quote

Scott Swett has a new website up along with former Navy Captain and SEAL Larry Bailey:

No Murtha Ship

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus plans to honor the late Congressman John Murtha by giving his name to the Navy's new LPD (Transport Dock Ship), to be launched in 2013.

In doing so, Sec. Mabus is breaking the Navy's tradition of naming its San Antonio-class amphibious transports after American cities. He is also honoring a man who:

1) was one of the most corrupt members of the U.S. Congress, and

2) called our Marines murderers who killed Iraqi women and children "in cold blood."

We believe that such a man does not deserve to be honored by the U.S. Navy. If you agree, please help us petition Secretary Mabus to reconsider this outrageous decision.

Please give this website and its cause widest dissemination and support. It is an insult of the highest order to name a ship of the Navy after one of the military's vilest detractors and most corrupt and dishonest critics. We may never know how many honorable members of the military suffered as a result of the slander he brought against them, but we can do our best to stop the Navy from honoring him by naming a ship after him.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's headed up by Larry Bailey? I would get behind him any day! I put it up on my facebook page.

I'm glad someone's trying to do something about this gut-turning decision.

Not much hope for change, here... but maybe Mabus will grow another three or four brain cells?
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments when I signed the petition:

I respectfully but firmly urge the Secretary of the Navy to reconsider breaking the Navy’s tradition of naming its San Antonio-class amphibious transports after American cities and instead naming the Navy’s new LPD (Transport Dock Ship) after a vile and corrupt politician whose words and deeds slandered the entire United States Marine Corps in general and eight brave and honorable Marines in particular, all of whom have been exonerated of the outrageous, unsupported charges made by the late Congressman Murtha. I juxtapose Mr. Murtha’s lies with these eternal truths, spoken by two of the greatest Presidents in American history.

“The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars to be treated and appreciated by their nation.” – George Washington

“Any nation that does not honor its heroes will not long endure.” – Abraham Lincoln

These men were leaders during two of the most trying times in our history, and they honored and respected our military and uplifted them. Mr. Murtha and his slander represent the antithesis of the values held by this nation and its military, and they should not be celebrated or honored in any way, especially by naming a ship of the United States Navy after Mr. Murtha to be a perpetual insult to all sailors and Marines who serve aboard her.

Here is the link if you want to sign the petition.

Take Action Now

Go to the page and click the “petition” link.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No Murtha Ship! Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
He is also honoring a man who:

1) was one of the most corrupt members of the U.S. Congress, and

2) called our Marines murderers who killed Iraqi women and children "in cold blood."

3) was the subject of an active FBI investigation which assumedly might have led to a federal indictment had the Almighty not intervened.

What ideology can forgive is not something I like to contemplate.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His legacy should be left to fade away in history and not adorn any Naval Vessel. It's an absolute insult to honorable Veterans and Active Duty Military.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: