SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is John Kerry Obama's Best Choice for SoS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Is John Kerry Obama's Best Choice for SoS? Reply with quote

Is the media, having digested the Rice nomination debacle, now starting to reconsider the conventional notion that Kerry is an acceptable Plan B?...

Quote:
Is John Kerry Obama's Best Choice for Secretary of State?
By Wayne Merry
December 18, 2012

The qualities desirable—even necessary—to serve the United States well at State have scarcely been mentioned in the controversy over U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice or in the expectation that Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry will be the next secretary.

<snip>

A really qualified secretary of state is a rare individual. Susan Rice clearly met few of the standards enumerated above, and it is not clear John Kerry fits the bill either.

<snip>

...the president would serve the Republic better this time by a selection beyond politics.

U.S. News and World Report - cont'd
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it just took 8 years for what we all said 8 years ago to sink in?

As poor as our media has become, it's nice to see a little journalism and Kerry not just lauded as the war hero he isn't.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
...it's nice to see a little journalism and Kerry not just lauded as the war hero he isn't.

Unfortunately very little thus far. Yet a Google News search for John Kerry is returning an occasional seed...

Quote:
John Kerry: Next Secretary of State?
Senator suggested for role as soon as Rice dropped out of consideration
by Benjamin Nanamaker, InvestorPolitics Editor
Dec 18, 2012

President Barack Obama’s choice for his next Secretary of State may be the worst-kept secret in Washington right now — or one of the biggest surprises ever, if the presumptive nominee isn’t selected.

<snip>

He has been a senator since 1984, and currently serves as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Ironically enough, his testimony in front of that committee in the early 1970s, along with his work with Vietnam Veterans Against the War, may have doomed his 2004 campaign for president. The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth ran campaign ads accusing him of lying to receive two of his medals and criticized his anti-war efforts. Kerry lost to George W. Bush, who won 3 million more popular votes and the electoral college vote 292-252.

<snip>

Unfortunately, it looks like despite Susan Rice’s pleas for a less politicized nomination and confirmation process, Kerry’s imminent selection as Obama’s candidate for the Secretary of State job will lead to only more politics, division, and disruption.

Investor Place - cont'd

...and another (emphasis mine)...

Quote:
North to Newsmax: Kerry Should Not Be Secretary of State
By Jim Meyers and Kathleen Walter
Tuesday, 18 Dec 2012

Decorated military veteran Oliver North didn’t mince words when asked about the possibility of Democratic Sen. John Kerry being nominated to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of State.

“It’d be high time for John Kerry to answer some questions about what he did back in the 1960s,” North tells Newsmax.

During the 2004 campaign, Swiftboat Veterans questioned details of Kerry's military service record and circumstances relating to the award of his combat medals. They also questioned his anti-war activities.

Kerry did “denigrate the sacrifice being made by 58,000 of my colleagues when they came home from” Vietnam, North adds. “It would be lovely to hear those hearings if the right people would ask the right questions in Senate confirmation hearings.”

Asked if he believes Kerry would be confirmed, North declares: “I certainly wouldn’t vote for him.”

And as for whom he might support, North says: “I don’t know. I’d like to see some nominees that actually make sense. I haven’t seen any yet.”

Newsmax

...and another from London (emphasis mine)...

Quote:
If only John Kerry were a Hispanic woman
The man expected to become Secretary of State lacks Hillary Clinton’s charisma but he may be closer to Obama
by Bronwen Maddox
December 19 2012

The problem with John Kerry is that he’s not Spanish enough. Or female enough. Nor does he have Hillary Clinton’s world-class charisma. Other than that, if the Massachusetts Senator does become the next US Secretary of State, as is widely assumed, then he’ll still do fine in a tricky period for America’s foreign relations that will be consumed by the Middle East. But it’s not clear that he has the clout from either his own standing or his relationship with President Obama to make any of the breakthroughs that America needs in world flashpoints.

The Times
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: