SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is Kerry's service 30 yrs ago an issue NOW?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point, chofrok, is that he tried to infer that he served two tours in-country and that the medals were won over a longer period than 21 days. By doing so it made his service appear to be more inline with what conventional logic defined heroic. That was the upside, the downside is that now that little stretch allowed doubt to start and now he is in damage control. A situation avoided by being upfront. Dumb! Also dumb, is his method of damage control. By attacking the stations airing the ad and slandering other vets, he is creating more doubt about himself. The voter wonders why he is doing this instead responding to the charges. They begin to think that perphaps there is something to what the SBVFT is saying. Voters also respond poorly to a candidate who uses intimidation tactics. Just plain politically dumb.

For information on what happens to candidates who are politically dumb; see Gary Hart.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chofrock wrote:
So you are saying that he did not serve two tours during his career?

Kerry has said on more than one occasion that he served two tours "in Vietnam."

Patently untrue.

Quote:
And I still fail to see how people who he did not serve with, for four month, thrity years ago, would have an accurate accounting of his command abilities.

My husband served with 35-40 other instructor pilots - he knew within two weeks' of an officers arrival if they were going to be "hackers" or "no loads."

He knew who was doing the work and he knew who wasn't. He knew who was a good stick and he knew who he didn't relish flying formation with. He knew who were good with students and who were screamers.

The ONLY times that the instructors served aboard the same planes were when my husband was giving them a NATOPS exam or they had money in the budget for "fam flights." Practice for the pilots.

Even if he never flew with a particular student in the squadron, he knew in a general way what kind of student he or she was.

You need to lay off the "served with" until you get a handle on what "served with" means.

Your play at naivete is wearing thin and my first instincts about you are proving true.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chofrock wrote:
Quote:
Don't kid yourself, this is not civic duty. Civic duty would of happened 30 years ago. People would have stood up against the press and all of the cover-ups and would have brought this criminal and all the others to trial

I cannot help getting the impression you are fairly (compared to an old timer like me) young - and were not there.

I have long since abandoned kidding myself about much of anything. In 1971-72, there was no Internet. The college I attended was fairly hostile to Vietnam Veterans. So were the traditional veterans organizations. There were three TV networks. I never spoke to any man I served with in Vietnam (except one) until 1998. My first cousin and many neighborhood friends were in-country, and many of them I never knew that about until very recently. Whenever I saw my cousin, we never spoke of Vietnam. We were marginalized and soon learned to ignore or hide our service, even among ourselves.

This experience is not at all unusual. Many people in their twenties and thirties now only know Vietnam Vets after The Wall and VVA and other rehabilitative community enterprises. It is all they know of the treatment of Vietnam Vets. That's not the way it always was . . . believe me. The other - uglier - side of the coin was minted by John Kerry and his like.

Much of this is now coming to light because many of these men - I'd bet for the first time - have begun to meet, talk and compare notes for the very first time. Many probably never knew what Kerry had represented as his wartime experience until very recently. What do you know about what some obscure Senator - say from Wyoming for example - said fifteen years ago on the Senate floor about his own experience? The Presenditial campaign changes everything - which is actually very good for democracy.

The idea that I could have been vindicated by any group of civic minded and honorable citizens in 1971 is ludicrous. Those who tried were quickly vilified and marginalized. Not that things have changed that much.

What has changed is the Internet. Guys now have access to each other and to enormous amounts of documentary evidence - and a media that is not entirely hostile. We are no longer alone and unarmed.

And I think we also see the terrible injustice of having someone who did this kind of thing to us personally and to this nation collectively, rewarded with the highest honor the nation can bestow on any individual - not to mention entrusting the survival of our entire future to a man of no substance or honor whatsoever.

I will ignore the implied insult to my assertion of my own civic motives in speaking out. But that is why I do this. There are some Americans who still believe in such things as duty and honor.

You are welcome to your opinions, but you are totally out of your depth here.
Chofrock
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, I just don't see this as an honorable thing.

Dragging yet another Vetrans combat record thru the mud just to inact some long deserved revenge.

Granted, Kerry's combat record might not be the best. Heck, there are probably vets on this board with a better record. But a persons combat record from 30 years ago does not define the person they are today.

I just don't see this as an honorable thing, and I think many Americans feel the same way. I know, you have seen lots of people coming here supporting your cause. I am sure there are probably lots of people like that. But you should also be aware of the other side. The people who are seeing Vietnam Vetrans for the first time in a negative light.

My main concern is for the youngest generation, who know very little about Vietnam Vets... What kind of impression is this giving them?
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chofrock wrote:
Quote:
Dragging yet another Vetrans combat record thru the mud just to inact some long deserved revenge.

It is not revenge, it is justice . . . and the truth.
Quote:
But a persons combat record from 30 years ago does not define the person they are today.

Kerry says his does. It was his call. It's all he had to sell the American people in war time, and it deserves a response when it appears to be a sham to the few people who might actually know the facts.
Quote:
I just don't see this as an honorable thing, and I think many Americans feel the same way. I know, you have seen lots of people coming here supporting your cause. I am sure there are probably lots of people like that. But you should also be aware of the other side. The people who are seeing Vietnam Vetrans for the first time in a negative light.

I agree there is that perception, but it is based on the fact that people have been fed a deliberately contrived version of history - and of Kerry's history. Once they know the facts, they may not be so dismayed by what is being said here. It is shocking and disgusting - but I maintain that what is shocking and disgusting is what Kerry has done, not the disclosure of it.
Quote:
My main concern is for the youngest generation, who know very little about Vietnam Vets... What kind of impression is this giving them?

Hopefully the final impression will be of men who once were, and still are, willing to defend this nation's best interests at great risk to themselves.

Last edited by d19thdoc on Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chofrock wrote:

More important than any "impression," it's giving them the truth. Wink

You have clearly stated your opinion on the matter many times and it has been soundly refuted. To continue the same one-note-Annie song will indicate that you are a troll.

Please don't reinforce this appearance on your part. One and only warning.

Thanks,
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it will encourage the new generation to get on the web, do a little searching, find this web site, and do a little reading.......

How in the world do you think you can give someone an appropriate "impression" (whatever that might be) in 30 or 60 seconds, especially for a topic as complex as Vietnam vets? Sheesh!
flywithmike
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: GO ASK JOHN KERRY Reply with quote

John Kerry and every democrat have made this the centerpiece of the campaign. It was brought out by Kerry. Dont we all have the right to review his credentials if he wants to lead this country. Are you saying that it is "OK TO LIE ON YOUR RESUME FOR PRESIDENT" This is truly insulting to all Americans. Kerry has nothing else to stand on but his record. I remember early in his campaign when he was not expected to be the front runner and no one knew his past, and all of a sudden he is out front, democrats had nothing on him except to say " OH HE IS A VIETNAM VET"
well this got played and played and played. Still today he has nothing except smoke and mirrors. SOMONE TELL ME WHAT HE STANDS FOR! I truly believe he is lying. Oh no one wants to call him that, why, because he is running for office? Oh I forgot he was a vietnam vet. This makes he perfect! I can not believe what our media is doing to PROTECT HIM WHY? If he is not the person to be trusted SAY SO! REPORT IT! Stop lying to the Americans.
Michael
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these partisans wrote this:

Quote:
Nope, I did not read all of it.

Slow readers like me don't like to read the same arguments over and over.

This one exhibits the same lack of Kerry's attention to details while he made up his personal diaries.

I was in Cambodia listening to president Nixon, before I was not in Cambodia and LBJ was president...,

Details, who needs them.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The now-senator perjured himself in front of Congress claiming widespread atrocities by people he never served with, knew, or even confirmed had been in the military and/or in Vietnam.

He lied to Congress about how many S. Vietnamese might become victims of revenge by the Communists, costing millions their lives after we left. And who has never apologized for either.

In his 1971 testimony, Kerry told the Senate committee "they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war." These crimes, Kerry said, were "not isolated incidents, but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command."

... "So what I am saying is that yes, there will be some recrimination [i.e., murders of S. Vietnamese if we pull out] but far, far less than the 200,000 a year who are murdered by the United States of America."

FDL
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
Quote:
The now-senator perjured himself in front of Congress claiming widespread atrocities by people he never served with, knew, or even confirmed had been in the military and/or in Vietnam.

This has been cropping up repeatedly, and I think credibility is vital at this level, so please all be advised that a careful inquiry into the Congressional Record transcript, and the audio and video record, plus a written inquiry to the Secretary of the Senate, reveals that Kerry almost certainly did not take an oath before testifying on 4/22/72, so even if he deliberately lied, no perjury charge can be made. This was/is not an unusual circumstance in such appearances.

HOWEVER . . . one of the bonuses the DNC's high-priced lawyers gave up in their outrageous letter to the TV stations about the SBVT ad is that giving false evidence to a Congressional committee or to any Federal government agency is, nonetheless, a crime under Federal law.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D19thDOC, I have to correct you on the oath thing. He most certainly did take an oath before that testimony, the oath of a United States Commisioned Officer. So the I didn't take an oath before I lied to the Senate won't work here. Besides you inherantly are under oath when you testify before the Government or any legal agency in this country, when you know that your statements are testimony. I have seen a judge ask a question of an audience member in Court that was not under oath, it was entered as official testimony as part of the Court record. So the answer is YES he was under oath while he gave knowing testimony to the Senate. Semper Fi.
Chofrock
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he resign his commission before making that testimony?

I am no lawyer, (thank god for that) so I don't know if he was legally under oath at the time of his statements. Have all of his statements been proven to be lies? I have not seen any evidence to refute his claims, other than personal experiences. Not saying those experiences are invalid, but I don't think any one person experienced everything that went on in Vietnam.

I mean there are web sites disputing each and every claim in Moore's movie. Is there a similar website for Kerry's claims?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chofrock...that's an interesting idea...perhaps those involved in debunking Moore might also be sympathetic to this effort.
Chofrock
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the two camps have similar goals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: