SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Picture is worth Squat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: A Picture is worth Squat Reply with quote

Why is the sun shining from the left on the left edge, and shining from the right on the right edge? Don't tell me i wasted my money on my photo degree, when i could have just learned to move the sun.around.

Same thing here.. It looks to me like another montage.

You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like two photos taken seconds apart, although the shadows are odd. There's a discussion of this on Captain's Quarters.

These are supposedly stills from film taken w/Kerry's movie camera.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but IMO, there's nothing to this. I've been a professional portrait painter and graphic artist almost my whole life - the shadows are falling right where they should be falling, given the various angles of the bodies in relation to the sun - which appears to be directly behind or almost directly behind the photographer.

The people in the picture are posed at different angles. Take some dolls outside and pose them in the same relative poses with the sun directly behind you and you'll see that the light will indeed fall seemingly in one direction on one doll and in the opposite direction on a doll faced 70-90º toward the other.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
These are supposedly stills from film taken w/Kerry's movie camera.

I can tell you one thing for sure - these images DID NOT come from frames of an 8mm movie! No way, no how!
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with an arrow in my hand I can direct the angle of the shadow of the point and line of the arrow shaft.... a shadow depends on the the angle and orientation to the ground and sun of the object creating the shadow.....

I could say this a much better I am sure....just go to the debunking of fake moon landing theories to get all the info.

Its not fake picture----if you want to say its staged for a specific purpose by someone who was gaming his fellow Sailors and who had the intent of using the pictures along with his movies and then to use them again by making false claims to congress and the American people....well then Yes -it might fake that way

It could just be some guys trying to look cool while on duty too
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
I can tell you one thing for sure - these images DID NOT come from frames of an 8mm movie! No way, no how!

I don't think it's possible, either. I don't think I've ever seen a decent 8X10 from film that small.

There are much clearer versions of these pictures out there on the web and when the rumor first came up that there were aberrations between Alston and the guy behind him, I enlarged photo several times, applying a Gaussian blur before each enlargement (.5 - 2 pts.) and the picture did not have the same anomalies as one that I blew up all at once without the Gaussian blue applied.

When you enlarge a picture 200% in a graphics program, unless you have the settings right, a single pixel will turn into four pixels, all identical to each other.

If you enlarge the picture 800% all at once, a single pixel turns into 64 pixels, all identical. That WILL create anomalies or exaggerate such things as a speck of dust on the print or scanner or a tiny scratch or fly speck.

JM2¢,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: