SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remember Willie Horton?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
academicanarchist
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Remember Willie Horton? Reply with quote

I wonder if people remember Willie Horton, not the former Detroit Tigers baseball player? Back in 1988, Dukakis was criticized for the release of Willie Horton, who went on to kill a white couple in Maryland. The only problem was that the decision was made by an independent prison board not controlled by the governor of Massachusetts. A political lie, that also pandered to latent racism since Horton was an African-American.
blackfrancis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Remember Willie Horton? Reply with quote

academicanarchist wrote:
I wonder if people remember Willie Horton, not the former Detroit Tigers baseball player? Back in 1988, Dukakis was criticized for the release of Willie Horton, who went on to kill a white couple in Maryland. The only problem was that the decision was made by an independent prison board not controlled by the governor of Massachusetts. A political lie, that also pandered to latent racism since Horton was an African-American.

I do.
academicanarchist
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: The Welfare Queen Reply with quote

Another example was Reagan's line about the African-American "Welfare Queen," a campaign issue raised at a time when the vast majority of welfare recipients were whites, not African-Americans.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure remember Willie Horton. Rightwingers made him the poster boy for how Democrats are going to let the black men go around raping white women. It helped them win the election.

Interestingly enough, on his death bed, Lee Atwater regretted his behavior and acknowledged the moral failing of that campaign.

But that didn't stop the GOP in remaining elections.
colmurph
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now "Hanoi John" Kerry is saying that the problems at the prison are all Bush's fault? Seems that the Democrats use the same tactics don't they Sparky?
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colmurph wrote:
So now "Hanoi John" Kerry is saying that the problems at the prison are all Bush's fault? Seems that the Democrats use the same tactics don't they Sparky?

Nice leap. An individual posts a comment about Willie Horton and now you say Kerry blames Bush for something? It's getting quite strange around here.
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unabashed comprehensive retraction

Last edited by hist/student on Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
academicanarchist
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: To Hist/Student Reply with quote

I wonder if you caught the point that I was making? Do you think you are the only one who knows a little history?
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by hist/student on Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
academicanarchist
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: To Hist/Student Reply with quote

Sorry. I don't think you did get the point.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Academicanarchist writes:
Quote:
Another example was Reagan's line about the African-American "Welfare Queen," a campaign issue raised at a time when the vast majority of welfare recipients were whites, not African-Americans.

Don't feel bad, academicanarchist, I remember that one even if HistStudent doesn't. The specter of blacks running rampant, recklessly reproducing, raping white women, collecting dozens of welfare checks
and sapping white America of its life's blood has won conservatives many races, especially in the south.

Hist/student must have something to do with hysteria and not history (although he spelled "histeria" wrong).

From The Washington Post:

Make no mistake: [Atwater] still believed in the power of negative campaigning. "I prefer to call [it] comparative campaigning," he said.
"Negative makes it sound as if you're beating up on the guy for no reason, which is different from choosing symbolic platforms, like the Pledge of Allegiance or the furlough program in Massachusetts, upon which to make compelling comparisons between candidates." No, Lee wasn't apologizing for that. "In 1988, fighting Dukakis, I said that I 'would strip the bark off the little bastard' and 'make Willie Horton his running mate.' I am sorry for both statements: the first for its naked cruelty, the second because it makes me sound racist, which I am not. Mostly I am sorry for the way I thought of other people. Like a good general, I had treated everyone who wasn't with me as against me."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/bckgrnd/atwater.htm

Are top GOP officials like Atwater racist? Maybe not. I think they're just indifferent and this may not necessarily make them racist. But they know the demographics of their loyalists and know the extent that the race card helps...which is almost every time.

And when reporters tracked down the welfare queen Reagan was referring to....

Over a period of about five years, Reagan told the story of the "Chicago welfare queen" who had 80 names, 30 addresses, 12 Social Security cards, and collected benefits for "four nonexisting deceased husbands," bilking the government out of "over $150,000." The real welfare recipient to whom Reagan referred was actually convicted for using two different aliases to collect $8,000. Reagan continued to use his version of the story even after the press pointed out the actual facts of the case to him.
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Last edited by hist/student on Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Gore was responsible for Willie Horton becoming a household name as he was the first to raise the issue in the Democratic Primary.

The Democrat Party is the home of racial politics today with their ads comparing the election of Republicans with church burnings and prejudice towards blacks.

Nevermind that the Democrat Party remains home to the maybe-former KKK members that are still involved in national politics.

So, try again, leftist weasil. The race baiters of today reside on the left of the political spectrum, keeping blacks and other minorities on the welfare plantation by use of propaganda inculcated in public schools and universities in order to harvest their votes by scaring them with the republican boogieman every four years.
academicanarchist
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: To Gradnpa Reply with quote

No. It was in the 1988 presidential election, and the famous Willie Horton ad attacking Dukakis did not come from Al GOre.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: