SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Daily Show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: The Daily Show Reply with quote

When is SBVFT going to get someone on this show? They have been making a lot of jokes at your expense, yet I don't see any replies?

Most specifically I am refering to last night's show where they played your commercial (part of it, but at least its free advertising), and then showed a person in the commercial at a Kerry rally in '96 supporting his run for the Senate. Granted, the Senate is not in charge of the military, but the compliments he made contradict his accusations in the commercial.

I understand that this is "fake news", but they do have some pretty good interviews on the show, as well as showing alot of video footage you don't see on alot of TV shows. Are there any plans to have someone go on the show to correct his misconceptions?
(and as a side question that I don't want to create a new topic about, if there are Anti-SBVFT articles or sites, do you like to be informed of such or would you rather ignore them? I figure, if you know what they are saying about you, it probably makes you more prepared going into interviews, but I WON't Be advertiseing their site here.
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daily Show has shown it's colors.
No need for SBVT to position itself to become a target.
I can just see them playing some stupid clips or something over a Swiftee's interview for the sake of a laugh.

Not funny.

SOTG
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People that watch that show may have an opinion, but I bet they don't vote.
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Of The Godfather wrote:
I can just see them playing some stupid clips or something over a Swiftee's interview for the sake of a laugh.

Not funny.

SOTG

If you don't address it, though, it'll only get worse. The frightening thing, though, is how many people seem to rely on Jon Stewart for their "real" news. Best to get in there and set things straight, IMHO...

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
llano
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daily Show has always been pro Democrats. Stewart is practically an activist for the demos.
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

producehawk wrote:
People that watch that show may have an opinion, but I bet they don't vote.

The show is about politcs, Why wouldn't they vote?

From what I have watched (one of my regulars shows) is it targets the current administration, and pokes fun where ever possible. I have also notices that when a guest representing a group goes on the show, that they tend to lean off of that group in the future. I just think if the SBVFT had a really good speaker, who really knew their stuff, they could correct alot of things wrong on the show.

(and a lot of people do rely on it for news!!! I just like to see the video footage that most other networks don't show)
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Farmer wrote:

Not funny.

SOTG

If you don't address it, though, it'll only get worse. The frightening thing, though, is how many people seem to rely on Jon Stewart for their "real" news. Best to get in there and set things straight, IMHO...

Respectfully disagree Doc,
If Daily Show doesn't set them up for ridicule, the Dem spin will be that the Swiftees are now taking their case to comedy shows so it can't be that serious a subject. (IMHO)

SOTG
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respectfully disagree Doc,
If Daily Show doesn't set them up for ridicule, the Dem spin will be that the Swiftees are now taking their case to comedy shows so it can't be that serious a subject. (IMHO)
SOTG

Bill Clinton was on last week, so I guess it is a joke! I guess I just want some one to press Stewart as to why Kerry hasn't signed the 180. I think that only going on Fox news shows or talk shows with a largly republican base is sort of preaching to the choir. What efforts has this group made to sway liberals?
jstoc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Stay away from comdey format Reply with quote

A lot of younger folks do seem to get their primary read on current politics from shows like the Daily show and SNL. Even if they don't vote now, nevertheless, their political views are being formed. BUT, it's a bad idea, IMHO, to go onto a show that spoofs politics, as though one might have a substantive discussion of the issues. Kerry will be, in the public eye, a smaller man and a lesser candidate for having gone on Daily's show. It will suggest that he doesn't take his candidacy any more seriously than a guest spot on a cable comedy show. By the way, what I've seen of Daily, though he is clearly a partisan Dem in sentiments, he has also cuttingly critiqued Kerry's wooden manner and meandering vagueries in his speeches. Dead on and really funny sometimes. But please, Swifties, stay away from this format. Don't let the Kerry camp direct this effort.
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bill Clinton was on last week, so I guess it is a joke!

Literally.

SOTG
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stay away from comdey format Reply with quote

jstoc wrote:
BUT, it's a bad idea, IMHO, to go onto a show that spoofs politics, as though one might have a substantive discussion of the issues. Kerry will be, in the public eye, a smaller man and a lesser candidate for having gone on Daily's show. It will suggest that he doesn't take his candidacy any more seriously than a guest spot on a cable comedy show. By the way, what I've seen of Daily, though he is clearly a partisan Dem in sentiments, he has also cuttingly critiqued Kerry's wooden manner and meandering vagueries in his speeches. Dead on and really funny sometimes. But please, Swifties, stay away from this format. Don't let the Kerry camp direct this effort.

There have been serious disucssions on the interview portion of the show, but that aside, I actually think a good (and note I said good, because I really think Kerry could blow it) interview would help him. One major problem with Kerry (aside from the whole Nam thing) that many people don't like, is his complete and utter lack of charisma and charm. If he showed a sense of humor on that show it would help him.

As far as the SBVFT on the show, I agree that there is the chance it could go very wrong (as it did for Congressman Bonilla the other night), but it also could, if done right help out the group. I guess I should say we should go on the show only if it helps us, but I really can't garantee that.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llano wrote:
The Daily Show has always been pro Democrats. Stewart is practically an activist for the demos.

I second that but remove the work practically...Stewart is definately a Democrat activist...often when he has Congressmen come out he will slip up by saying "what are WE going to do"

However I do agree, getting someone on the show would be probably good thing...would suggest O'Neill because Stewart will try to ambush and attempt to mock, need our sharpest guy if someone goes on..... Other option would be another Vet, but I would suggest having them come out with their more media Savvy kid or kids...on that show...the kid can make sure Stewart is in check......IMO
kuwan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: The Daily Show is comedy Reply with quote

I love the Daily Show but it is there for comedy, not for being serious. This isn't the kind of show you go on to try and correct the record. You go on the Daily Show to poke fun at yourself and others and to have fun, not to be serious. You wouldn't have any kind of success to go on the show and present your case.

The only thing that would be effective would be to try and get the Daily Show itself to make fun of Kerry's ever-changing Christmas in Cambodia story, or his now ever-changing 1st Purple Heart story. I don't think you'd have much success trying to do this in just an interview.

I think the Daily Show is great and they do really well at poking fun at both sides. Though they do tend to pick on the Republicans many times more than the Democrats.

One of my favorites this year was just after the Iowa primary. They showed the screaming Dean, then the excited Edwards. Then they made this big, energetic cut to the winner saying something like, "And now for the winner, Joooohn Kerrrrrrrrry!" Then they showed a monotone, non-charismatic Kerry who you'd have thought was delivering a eulogy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: