SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KERRY’S BOOK “THE NEW SOLDIER”, NO HONOR for Vet's/Memorials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EODARMY
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: KERRY’S BOOK “THE NEW SOLDIER”, NO HONOR for Vet's/Memorials Reply with quote

Upon reading Kerry’s book, “The New Soldier”, it occurs to me that he will not be honoring Veteran’s Day, the American Legion, the VFW, the Vietnam War Memorial or anything that memorializes the Vietnam War. My question is if he will honor anything that memorializes the War on Islamic Terrorism? He will not go to war unless the “people of this country decide for themselves that we must all of us go.” Excuse me, but didn’t the people in the form of the U. S. Congress authorize military operations in both Vietnam and Iraq? Below are excerpts from “The New Soldier”:

“And so a New Soldier has returned to America, to a nation torn apart by the killing we were asked to do.
But, unlike veterans of other wars and some of this one, the New Soldier does not accept the old myths.
We will not quickly join those who march on Veterans' Day waving small flags, calling to memory those
thousands who died for the "greater glory of the United States." We will not accept the rhetoric. We will
not readily join the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars-in fact, we will find it hard to join
anything at all and when we do, we will demand relevancy such as other organizations have recently been
unable to provide. We will not take solace from the creation of monuments or the naming of parks after a
select few of the thousands of dead Americans and Vietnamese. We will not uphold traditions which
decorously memorialize that which was base and grim.”

“I still want to serve my country. I am still willing to pick up arms and defend it -- die for it, if necessary. Now, however, I will not go blindly because my government says that I must go. I will not go unless we can make real our promises of self-determination and justice at home. I will not go unless the threat is a real one and we all know it to be so. I will not go unless the people of this country decide for themselves that we must all of us go.”
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Epilogue signed J.K.

Kerry says:

We were sent to Vietnam to kill Communism. But we found instead that we were killing women and
children. We knew the saying "War is hell" and we knew also that wars take their toll in civilian casualties.
In Vietnam, though, the "greatest soldiers in the world," better armed and better equipped than the
opposition, unleashed the power of the greatest technology in the world against thatch huts and mud paths.
In the process we created a nation of refugees, bomb craters, amputees, orphans, widows, and prostitutes,
and we gave new meaning to the words of the Roman historian Tacitus: "Where they made a desert they
called it peace."
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a lot like Michael "Moonbat" Moore doesn't he?
Wayne_Fielder
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: leftwing moonbat? Reply with quote

could it be because...HE IS ONE!

[rest of post removed by author]

From NAVY NAVY NAVY:

The book is still copyrighted by John Kerry, the publisher and the photographers who took the picture.
and of course the ubiquitous MCP...I'm so ashamed. Wink

Last edited by Wayne_Fielder on Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book is still copyrighted by John Kerry, the publisher and the photographers who took the picture.
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EODArmy, how about some more damning excerpts please? This is a rare book indeed, with copies going for over $800 on Ebay.

EJ, thanks for keeping an eye out for copyright but the "fair use doctrine" gives great leeway on quoting excerpts. Just don't post whole chapters.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fair use" would be a couple of paragraphs that illustrate your own point of view about the book and what it says.

For instance, quote from any of the contributors to the book and then explain why it couldn't have happened that way - because the guy never served in Vietnam. Wink (Just one example.)

Or quote from one of the contributors and explain why this type of phrasing was important to the anti-war propanda of the time and how well it worked with the script written in KGB headquarters.

You can't quote the book wholesale - I'm trying to protect you from copyright nuisance suits, here like any good sea-mama would. Wink

But, if you can make individual posts which make "Fair Use" of the copyrighted material, I think you're safe. I am not a lawyer, but I deal with copyright issues on a regular basis in my "day job." I try to be very careful to not blur the line.

I'd also tell you that the text of this book is available in its entirety on the internet in .pdf format.
RightWinger
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! I just read "the new soldier" online and I can now understand better why so many veterans are FURIOUS at John Kerry.I was just a child in the late 60's early 70's so i didnt get to know what was happening then but wow this book certainly opened my eyes to the supposed 'pulse" of america at that time period.John kerry and others that spewed forth this garbage should have been hung for treason.This book makes all our veterans sound likie they were nothing but masochistic murderers hell bent on doing anything not resembling human behavior.Fortunately I have talked to many vets who were there and they have told me the real truth long ago about what went on over there.Yes every war has it's atrocities ww1 ww2 korea japan I mean it exsisted but no one talks about these other wars as much as they do vietnam.And that is due in large part to the war being covered by the news like never before and psuedo intellectuals like John Kerry and his kind spewing filth like this book he wrote.This man has no business being a mailman let alone the leader of the free world.What a traitor Mad
RV
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to sear into people's mind that you can read the book online here:

http://johnkerrythenewsoldier.blogspot.com

Please say it forth, because Kerry must be defeated!

And those are his own words. Just like in the latest Vet ad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: