SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something I have reservations about saying/Max Cleland
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brody
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Something I have reservations about saying/Max Cleland Reply with quote

No I didn't serve in Viet Nam, I was born in 1972. I respect anyone who went to Viet Nam. Max Cleland has been elevated to "mythical hero" like status over other Viet Nam vets for one reason, and one reason only. He is a triple amputee. I have a question. Did he receive a purple heart for those wounds? I ask this, because many don't know that Max Cleland blew himself up. The triple amputation wasn't the result of enemy action, it was the result of him messing around with a grenade, not in action, but in friendly territory. Much like Kerry geting attacked by flying rice. I think it is disgusting that Max Cleland is being paraded like, as I mentioned, a "mythical John Wayne like hero". He should be respected because of his service, but the fact that he blew himself up should not make him superior to any other Vet.
AF366TFW
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max did NOT get the Purple Heart for his horrific wounds.
mudderfudder77
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a very touchy subject when discussing Max Cleland. I, like everyone else, has a tremendous amount of respect for his service and it was a terrible accident that cost him his limbs, but he does not deserve to be held in higher regard than veterans who fought for their country and came back home without the physical scars Max Cleland carries
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Clelands injuries are a tragic accident, and there are reports what happened to him on the net.

What's sadder (I believe) is that Cleland is well aware of what caused his predicament, but for some reason he has let the Democrats demote his honorable service to America for the "advantage" of the party.
SharpTalons
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suprised that John Kerry didn't fax Cleland a script with specific instructions to jump off his wheelchair in a feat of desperation and drag himself towards the gate with the letter clenched in his one intact hand. A triple amputee challenging the leader of the free world to come down from his well-guarded residence to discuss "fear & smear" tactics, screams of Hollywood.

Last edited by SharpTalons on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jungle_rat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it was the result of him messing around with a grenade,

He wasn't "messing around". It's my understanding that a grenade...his or anothers...came loose and fell to the ground as they were disembarking a chopper somewhere. He tried to knock it away without success.

Last edited by Jungle_rat on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
AF366TFW
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of us will quibble over Max's service. Like Kerry, it's what he did AFTER that is a a HUGE problem. A lot of us do not consider him Vet Friendly. IMHO
republicanveteran
Commander

I hate to pick on Max Cleland, but he is opening himself up to any criticism coming to him with his VERY partison statements...
Brody
Ensign

Thank you for the info. I have often wondered about that. I have no ill feelings in regards to Max Cleland. I think he is an honorable man, much more so then the man he is defending. But he is being used, and presented as something that he isn't. My grandfather, someone whose name you never heard, suffered 3rd degree burns to both his arms in WWII when he pulled his buddy out of a burning tank. My grandfather happened to be a full blooded German who spoke German better then English. He never talked about it, even when people asked him what happened. He would never of allowed himself to be paraded around, or used, even though his scars were horrendus. Cleland's whole career has been based on his triple amputation, and I don't know why, it just rubs me the wrong way. I apologize in advance if I offended anyone
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Don't beat up on Max ... Reply with quote

He may be on the wrong side of this and many other military related issues but he did serve, got torn up in an accident and came home to become a productive member of society.

I have heard quite often that Max does not use the term hero when talking about his Vietnam experience, he doesn't seem to try and play that card himself. Now of course the Kerry folks try and play it for him all the time and maybe he should ask them to tone it down.

I believe any critical comments about Max should be directed at his words and ideas and not at his unfortunate accident and horrific injuries.

After all we are here to destroy JFK, we don't have to go after his foot soliders unless they put themselves in the line of fire.
mudderfudder77
Seaman Recruit

I've heard Max Cleland say that the grenade was laying on the ground after he jumped from a helicopter. He thought it had fallen off his belt and he bent over to pick it up, just as he grabbed it, the grenade exploded destroying three of his limbs... Like I said tragic, but does not mean he is more honorable than any other veteran... His words are fair game, just as much as anybody elses...
SharpTalons
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate the man's politics not necessarily the man himself. I know its hard to differientiate but I won't desecrate Cleland's service no matter what bizarre sentences emit forth from his mouth.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Cleland stated at one point "it could have been my own grenade", but later another vet came forward and admitted it had been his, that got pulled off his web gear. Cleland saw it, bent to pick it up (I don't think he realized it was live, maybe he did) and got blown up. From what I remember, it was while he was with troops departing from a chopper onto an LZ, no enemy fire. It was an accident, same as if the chopper had crashed coming into the LZ and he had lost his limbs. It could have happened to anybody, he's no more a hero than a guy who walked into a prop or stepped on a mine. Sorry to put it that way, but look at the facts. Please correct me if I got any of the "facts" wrong about him.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're facts are right but he had served honorably and valiantly before the accident including a Silver Star and one "real" Purple Heart.

That's to be honored but not to point of honoring present dishonorable and despicable behavior. He's sliming veterans for partisan gain today just as Kerry did from 70 to 72 and still does.
Brody
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when Saxby Chambliss won Cleland's Senate seat, the media, as well as the democrat leadership, went bonkers that the Bush attack machine was able to unseat a "triple amputee Viet Nam" vet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: