SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mcCain and Bush to "go after" all 527's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kerry has his way only the Democrats will have free speech, but ya can bet he will find a way for the rest of us to pay for it!!!
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree this is a win/win for Bush.You have John McCain the guy Kerry is using in his ads seating with Bush denouncing 527 ads. Here's NROs analysis

Easy, tiger. This smells like Bush three-level-chess "strategery" to me. If Bush and McCain pursue legal action to shut down the 527s, that puts pressure on Kerry to join in, too. That means Kerry has to sign on to legal action to stop MoveOn.org, the Media Fund, Americans Coming Together. I refer you to the Washington Times article linked below: "Among the top 50 fund-raising 527s, which CRP determined based on Internal Revenue Service records as of Monday, just a handful are working against Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry."

If Kerry doesn't join in, his double standard is exposed in terms even undecided independents can grasp: 527s that run ads comparing Bush to Hitler is okay, but ads criticizing Kerry shouldn't be allowed.

If Bush and McCain win, the biggest guns in Kerry's arsenal get silenced, and the GOP can enjoy its huge hard-money advantage (Of course, then the issue of just how much the government can regulate political speech before an election is front and center.)

If Bush and McCain lose, the First Amendment is safe for another day, and Bush and McCain have done their part to stop "soft money."

Jujitsu strategery!
Richard Christiansen
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Bush voter, but he is nuts to go after 527's. This is more than a chess game in this campaign. Its called FREE SPEECH. Remember, after these things are shut down, the Democrats have a monoply with main stream media news every day. Do any politicians have any common sense anymore? The McCain campaign law is stupid, and as predicted, the law of unintended consequences is what you get. Does anyone understand the constitution anymore? Furthermore, is anyone interested in the truth? If the Swift Boat ads are false, Kerry could sue for slander. He won't because they are true.
rua
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is a good move for Bush, because for starters, it'll never happen. He knows it. *But* it made Kerry have to hush on the subject or look foolish for repeatedly attacking Bush over ads that he's not involved in and has been denouncing 527s on all sides. Bush just made it perfectly and CRYSTAL clear he's not 'in' with the swiftvets. It'll be forgotten after the election or will be batted around a bit only to fade quietly away.

BW: Even the FEC is saying if they do anything about the 527s it'll be after the election is over.

Thumbs up, keep going, you guys have a clear shot at the man who made you all into war criminals. It's been 30 plus years in coming, but high time you take it.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily wrote:
Agree this is a win/win for Bush.You have John McCain the guy Kerry is using in his ads seating with Bush denouncing 527 ads. Here's NROs analysis

Easy, tiger. This smells like Bush three-level-chess "strategery" to me. If Bush and McCain pursue legal action to shut down the 527s, that puts pressure on Kerry to join in, too. That means Kerry has to sign on to legal action to stop MoveOn.org, the Media Fund, Americans Coming Together. I refer you to the Washington Times article linked below: "Among the top 50 fund-raising 527s, which CRP determined based on Internal Revenue Service records as of Monday, just a handful are working against Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry."

If Kerry doesn't join in, his double standard is exposed in terms even undecided independents can grasp: 527s that run ads comparing Bush to Hitler is okay, but ads criticizing Kerry shouldn't be allowed.

If Bush and McCain win, the biggest guns in Kerry's arsenal get silenced, and the GOP can enjoy its huge hard-money advantage (Of course, then the issue of just how much the government can regulate political speech before an election is front and center.)

If Bush and McCain lose, the First Amendment is safe for another day, and Bush and McCain have done their part to stop "soft money."

Jujitsu strategery!

Nah.
Everybody knows Bush is the dull knife in the drawer Smile
Heck it's a DNC talking point Twisted Evil
Richard Christiansen
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the possibly strategies in this game as pointed out. I believe however, that principles are more important than strategies. Statesmen believe in principles. Politicians play games. Without principles, we, as well as our country are doomed in the long term. Sometimes politics leads us off on tangents a little, but I believe Bush needs to get back to principles on this issue and stick to them. That is what people crave whether they realize it or not. The Swift Boat people have earned the right to get their message out and let George Soros, or whoever spend their millions also. Even if a lawsuit does not affect this election, there are always more elections. I do not see the sense of mortgaging principle for immediate expediency. If the people aren't smart enough to determine who has credibility in all these 527 ads, then the people deserve what they get.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry is left with 2 choices, cry the President is infringing on freedom of speech, which leaves him with nouc mam on his face as he is crying for selective suppression of freedom of speech, or saying nothing but continuing to try to suppress 527s (SBVT) for exposing him, which also leaves him with nouc mam on his face for being selective.

There is a third, but we all know he won't start condemning the 87% of all 527 dollars donated, which goes to the left. Laughing
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Christiansen wrote:
If the people aren't smart enough to determine who has credibility in all these 527 ads, then the people deserve what they get.

That I agree with.
Here's hoping we all don't get what 45% deserve Exclamation
Richard Christiansen
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. And strict democracies can be dangerous. People elected Hitler. Thats why I believe our basic freedoms guaranteed by the constitution and bill of rights are so crucial. If the Democrats gain the presidency and a majority in Congress again, I think they would love to shut down 527's, then Talk Radio could be next; they've already made noises about it. As I understand it, the political parties are restricted by the McCain law, which is preposterous; what good is a political party if it can't advertise its positions and platforms right before an election? I am not paranoid, but some of our basic freedoms are really in danger if the wrong politicians gain power. And many people claim to be tired of all the bickering and "big money," blah, blah, blah, so many people are ripe to be fooled into giving up their rights.
mcb58
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep this in mind,Emotions change and fade with the outside influence

THE TRUTH ALWAYS REMAINS THE SAME

THE GREAT FIFTY-EIGHT
Richard Christiansen
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: