SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam still likes to quote Kerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjornejack
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Vietnam still likes to quote Kerry Reply with quote

Check out this link -- you'll have to read pretty far down into the article for Kerry's contribution:

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/2004-06/10/Stories/16.htm
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not get this page, but welcome to the post
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a snippet: "Candidate in this year’s American presidential elections, John Kerry, who fought in the war, went further in his criticism. In a statement to the US’ Senate Committee on Foreign Relations in 1971, he said the war crimes committed by US soldiers in Southeast Asia "were not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command."

But despite these abuses, the Vietnamese did not reciprocate in kind; instead, they treated captured US troops humanely."
bjornejack
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hard time bringing it up the first time, too. You can get if you go to http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn, then go to the "back issues" link at the bottom, and click on June 10, 2004. The title of the article is "Invoking Viet Nam to cover up Iraq abuses" and the full text of this article is:

"The Iraqi prisoner abuse scandal calls forth questions over the American War in Viet Nam: "How were captured US troops treated?" and "How did the Americans treat the Vietnamese?"

Diem Quynh

The Voice of America has attempted to deflect criticism of American soldiers’ treatment of Iraqi prisoners by claiming recently that captured US troops were treated worse in Viet Nam.

Besides begging the fundamental question "what were the Americans doing in Viet Nam in the first place?" the claim is also patently false.

In fact, like in any of the dozens of countries they invaded, it was the Americans who perpetrated well-documented atrocities in Viet Nam, both at the individual and mass levels.

[picture]
American POWs treat themselves to a refreshing game of volleyball.

My Lai is a byword for callous mass murder while the Bach Mai hospital and Kham Thien street bombings, though less well-known outside Viet Nam, were no less brutal for their manner of execution. As if to show they were not merely capable of ‘impersonal’ atrocities (by dropping bombs), the Americans helped run the notorious Con Dao prison with its ‘tiger cages’. In each of these 3m by 1.5m cages, they held five Vietnamese prisoners.

Conditions at the prison prompted a visiting US legislator, William R Anderson, to write to then-president Richard Nixon slamming the human rights violations and asking him to reconsider American involvement in the south of Viet Nam.

Candidate in this year’s American presidential elections, John Kerry, who fought in the war, went further in his criticism. In a statement to the US’ Senate Committee on Foreign Relations in 1971, he said the war crimes committed by US soldiers in Southeast Asia "were not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command."

But despite these abuses, the Vietnamese did not reciprocate in kind; instead, they treated captured US troops humanely.

A letter written to his family by the US navy’s Lt Stephen Anthony Rudloff shows a glimpse of the treatment received by American troops in captivity. He wrote, "Since my capture, I have been treated very well by the people of the DRVN [Democratic Republic of Viet Nam]. I am well fed, have had my injuries tended to by a doctor, and am in excellent condition."

Another navy man, Lt Albert Molinare, wrote home, "my treatment and the treatment of all the others I’ve talked to has been very fair. I feel we’re eating and living better than many Vietnamese outside the walls. I live with a group of other prisoners and we pass the time playing bridge and pingpong and doing some gardening. It’s nothing like home of course but the treatment has been a pleasant surprise."

Molinare was right that the detainees were living better than most Vietnamese who were subsisting on food rations and under extremely tough conditions.

It was also true that except for their incarceration, the American soldiers lived normal lives in prison though many of them had been caught red-handed committing crimes against humanity. They got fairly good food, exercised, played on the guitar and read books, received letters from home and celebrated Christmas with trees just like they would have at home.

They received periodic medical checks and treatment for injuries and illnesses.

In the three decades since the war, the Americans have used their hegemony over the world media – including films – and short public memory to gloss over their atrocities and to demonise Viet Nam.

The VOA report is merely another such attempt. — VNS"

Thanks for the welcome! I've been watching the board for over a week now, and, as the daughter of an Air Force pilot who served in Vietnam, I was surprised to learn recently from the MSM that my dad actually "only served with" 1 guy. Funny that all this time I thought he had a whole squadron with him. Very Happy
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
Here's a snippet: "Candidate in this year’s American presidential elections, John Kerry, who fought in the war, went further in his criticism.

Actually, I am rather partial to this more insightful reporting concerning the
support that John Kerry has among the People's Republic of Vietnam

I think the last line in the excerpted article is the most indicative ....

Quote:

TRA VINH, VIETNAM -- In the spartan banquet room of the Coolong Hotel,
the Communist Party apparatchiks all agree on one thing: ... Democratic
Senator John Kerry is the best candidate for U.S. President.

----

"We hope he wins the election. He is a good man but not a hero. The
only real hero is Uncle Ho," says Tra Vinh Governor Tran Van Ven.

----

The party officials around the table grunted in agreement, raising their
glasses once again. "Yo, dong chi [Down the hatch, comrade]!" Mr. Ven
said.

No one dared to disagree.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040622/VIET22

---------------------

Bill Levinson
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
Here's a snippet: "Candidate in this year’s American presidential elections, John Kerry, who fought in the war, went further in his criticism. In a statement to the US’ Senate Committee on Foreign Relations in 1971, he said the war crimes committed by US soldiers in Southeast Asia "were not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command."

But despite these abuses, the Vietnamese did not reciprocate in kind; instead, they treated captured US troops humanely."

Someone should ask John McCain and Jeremiah Denton if they were treated humanely.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post ... deleted

Last edited by rbshirley on Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Hanoi's Lapdog Reply with quote

A Communist's best friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: